So I've been thinking my tone is lacking recently, and never really put much thought into the speakers being behind that. So I googled my cabinet (Laney LV412A) and realised the Celestion Rocket 50's in them, are generally regarded to be a cheap pile of ****

So I'm wondering if I should replace those speakers with something better? I'm quite happy with the cab, so if I can save money I might as well keep that. What do you think would be good for me? I play metal, and the tone I'm mainly going for is akin to HIM's (say what you want, but Linde is an excellent guitarist!) with a thick heavy sound, and a smoothed off top end. Quite mid heavy, but not harsh sounding. Almost vintage-esque, but thick and aggresive!

My current tone I can only describe as sounding a bit thin and crunchy (in a bad EQ kind of way) in the upper mids/highs. Taming the EQ down on those only starts to make the tone kind of muffled and not have much bite. Pushing the EQ up for the mids/treble to compensate generally just produces BAD mids/treble.

Looking at a video like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xckQREUVwls
I can see my speakers genuinely are naff as hell. They sound weak and thin, and almost digital sounding to me. Those V30's actually sound quite nice though, how are they?

Now as for the actual replacing, is it as simple as unplugging the wires from my old ones and plugging them into new ones? Is there anything I need to be careful of, such as wattages/ohms and all that? (I'm clueless!)
Gibson SG (Goddess - Violet Burst / Standard - Alpine White)
Laney Ironheart 120W and Celestion V30's

(Front) Polytune 2 noir > Cry Baby Wah 105Q Bass > Octave Multiplexer > BAT Pharaoh Fuzz > MXR Line Driver
(Loop) ISP Decimator G String II > Hardwire Supernatural
Voodoo Labs PP2
The celestion vintage 30 is the shure sm57 (incredibley famous go to microphone for a LONG time) of the speaker world. In other words, they're reliable, sound good and aren't too hefty a price. The V30 is one of the world's most popular replacement speakers, the orange PPC series which is legendary use V30's.

The V30's won't cheap out on you or anything, don't worry about that.
The quest for your perfect gear is like being under the surface of a huge, overpowering lake. When you've nearly swam to the light on the surface it shoots far out of your sight again. Still, I'll enjoy the swim. What'd I do if I reached the top?
Last edited by sasquatchjosh96 at Dec 18, 2015,
Based on your description I would think Vintage 30s would suite you well.

Like Sasquatch said, they are popular for a reason.

I looked at the user manual and it appear the cab runs at 8 ohms.
http://www.manualslib.com/manual/625321/Laney-Lv412a.html?page=4#manual

That means you will want 8 ohm speakers as replacements to avoid mismatches or rewiring. I'm going to walk through this with you slowly. I am making an assumption here. I am assuming the current Laney cab is wired as Series/Parallel. That means 4 - 8 ohm speakers wired in Series/Parallel will give you an 8 ohm load total. Now, assuming your amp will also run at 16 ohms total, then you could get 4 - 16 ohm speakers. Either way, you want to make sure things match up.

The next consideration is how the speakers are wired up. You asked what you would need to do there. If the speaker wires use clips at the end of the wire that clip onto the speaker then you are in luck there. If they are soldered to the leads on the speaker then you will need to desolder all of those and resolder the new speakers in. If that is the case, it may just be easier to get a new cab.

Also, do you gig? If not - you may want to consider a 212 cab.

Additionally, not to confuse things any further, you can also mix and match speakers (types - not ohms). Like a G12-K100 or an Eminence Red Coat (forget which one exactly). That kind of thing. Just be super careful on your total ohm load and watts. If you are not sure - post here.

Lastly, there are other speakers out there that are clones of the Vintage 30 basically or rebranded and they are less costly. For example the WGS Veteran 30, Eminence, or the Avatar Hellatone 60. Something to consider as well.
I like mixing speakers alot. V30s with T75's are a great combination. Also V30's and K100's. Just a thought.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
The Eminence Governor has a smoother top end compared to the Celestion Vintage 30. That would be my recommendation given the direction of your tone quest.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
Excellent replies guys! Thanks!

I guess I'll have to undo the cabinet at the back and have a little looky then (hoping they're clipped and not soldered now!) it does indeed say at the back of it that its 8ohms, although my IRT 120 does have multiple outputs for 4/2x4/8/16 etc, so I guess it doesn't matter too much what goes in? I think just to be safe I might stick to the original 8 ohms.

I did gig, and it's a pain in the ass because where we practise they don't supply cabs, so I am lugging my 4x12 there every time and it's getting annoying! I was actually considering a 2x12! Am I right in thinking that it would be quieter though than a 4x12?

(Front) Polytune 2 noir > Cry Baby Wah 105Q Bass > Octave Multiplexer > BAT Pharaoh Fuzz > MXR Line Driver
Voodoo Labs PP2
I bought a 2x12 cab a few years ago just for that reason. It is much easier to transport to and from places. I even bought a mini head to cut down the weight of my head I drag to practice

Where are you located we can help find you a good inexpensive cab
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Dec 19, 2015,
England - London/Kent area

I don't mind going used, and actually rather would! As long as it's not beaten up anyway

Voodoo Labs PP2
what amp are you using?

replacing 4 speakers is expensive, and it's debatable if it's worth it in a cheap cabinet which probably isn't made all that well, maybe not even with plywood. it's probably cheaper to sell your current cab and buy a known good one which already has good speakers.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
He has a Laney Ironheart 120.

Glad to hear you are open to a 2x12 cab. I have a 4x12 and a 2x12 and there is no difference to me in volume. Honestly, the Splawn 212 cab is louder but that's because it has a Splawn Quick Rod feeding it

So if you are tired of lugging a 4x12 around, I would def consider a 2x12. Trust me, you will not have any volume issues. For better projection you can either stand it up vertically or put it on a chair or table. Plus, with better speakers and better cab construction - your tone, your ears, your bandmates, and your audience will thank you.

Not sure what you can afford new as I don't think we know your budget but 4 V30s is at least $600 USD right? New? See if you can find better Laney 212 cab (I'd personally have to look them up) or maybe an Orange or Engl 2x12. Harley Benton makes good speaker cabinets I hear.

Good luck and report back will ya?
If you're looking to save a little cash, look into the WGS Veteran 30's. They're damn good clones of the Vintage 30 for quite a bit cheaper.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
Oops! Sorry yeah didn't specify a budget. Was mainly looking for information, but this seems to have turned into a full-on new cab quest now!

I'd say my budget would be somewhere around £200, and I'd probably be looking back at used if it's not had too much wear and tear. I'd ideally like to stick with Laney for the sake of it matching (yeah I'd get OCD about it being something else lol) what about the Laney GS line? The GS412PA sounds excellent, although that's a 4x12... It has V30's though!

Voodoo Labs PP2
Quote by TheLazer
I was actually considering a 2x12! Am I right in thinking that it would be quieter though than a 4x12?

Not in any proportional sense. Depending on a whole lot of factors, a 212 can easily be louder than a 412.
Quote by TheLazer
I was actually considering a 2x12! Am I right in thinking that it would be quieter though than a 4x12?

Doubling the sound source, in this case the speakers, will only increase the volume by 3dBs. Not a whole lot.

Like Dspellman said, there are other factors within the construction that can make a big difference. I'd personally buy a 212, and save some cash and your back
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
74' Vibro Champ
Quote by Robbgnarly
Get this
www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_g212_vintage.htm

It is loaded with V30s and is only 161GBP

Nice find! Thanks!

I'm surprised at the price considering that seems about the price of the speakers alone? But all the reviews are very good. Could always pull off that logo though

Voodoo Labs PP2
Quote by TheLazer
Nice find! Thanks!

I'm surprised at the price considering that seems about the price of the speakers alone? But all the reviews are very good. Could always pull off that logo though

Yeah they are stupid cheap. A few guys here have them and have nothing bad to say about them considering the price.

I could order one and have it shipped to the US for less than I can buy a cab loaded with V30's here.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
yeah it's hard to go wrong with the HB 2x12 vintage cab if you know you want v30s.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Robbgnarly
Yeah they are stupid cheap. A few guys here have them and have nothing bad to say about them considering the price.

I could order one and have it shipped to the US for less than I can buy a cab loaded with V30's here.

Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah it's hard to go wrong with the HB 2x12 vintage cab if you know you want v30s.

Yeah that. They are solid cabvs. birc h ply construction and ghood speakers.
Quote by TheQuailman
Yeah that. They are solid cabvs. birc h ply construction and ghood speakers.

You have had a few drinks

Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
74' Vibro Champ
HB212 w/V30s Slam dunk for the tone you seek.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
The Harley Benton it shall be then! Thanks guys, awesome help from you all.

Turns out the guitarist's tone I have been seeking has used V30's all along anyway after doing some online research, so this has all worked out just dandy!

Voodoo Labs PP2
Make sure you go with the one I linked, they have another that looks the same but it does not have V30's.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate