Page 1 of 2
In a specific band you're in/were in, that is. Not losing the will to be a part of any band.

Did this ever happen to you? What were the reasons?
Purple string dampener scrunchy.
Lack of musicians that play the music I want to play. Its a pretty small town and I don't know too many people.
SANDBLAST YOURSELF.

Quote by i_lovemetallica
If you think Gollum was sober with his whole "Gollum/Smeagol" thing and thinking he was invisible with the ring, then you need to remove the cotton wool from your eyes.

Wake up sheeple.

Sunaj
-we all start writing
-i want mathcore, bassist wants sludge, the others want shitty thrash metal
-vocalist sits in sessions but "refuses to write, because I only write and sing once the whole song is done"
-we end up covering Midlife Crisis

it didn't last long

nowadays I avoid band work and move toward small collaboration instead. Not enough people into what I'm into
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Yeah. My first proper band I got a bit bored with the sound, the drummer was a hard hitting prog metal sort and the other guitarist was uber-polished, and I was starting to lean towards a rougher more VU influenced approach to playing. We were p good though. And then my last band was this comic folk-fusion thing, which is great fun but every time I stood up to do a crazy Klezmer-inspired clarinet solo part of me died. I'm just not that sort of entertainer. Crowds loved it though and we got a fair few paid gigs cos we were the only originals band people could dance and have a good time to in our town. I need my music to be a bit more srs and such, or if it's entertaining it needs to be horrendously chaotic. Need to start a band at some point in the future, going to be concentrating on solo studio endeavours for a while though.
Mostly because I lack the social connections to get involved with local music
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
And I have to work with dictator like guitarist with more mental issues than me, to add to it he doesnt seem to know how a song should be constructed...
Quote by Banjocal
-we all start writing
-vocalist sits in sessions but "refuses to write, because I only write and sing once the whole song is done"

it didn't last long

nowadays I avoid band work and move toward small collaboration instead. Not enough people into what I'm into

This makes you a terrible, terrible person.
Quote by Banjocal
-we all start writing

it didn't last long

I have a similar problem, but replace thrash metal with "metalcore", which apparently doesn't mean what I thought. Drummer aint got enough grooves and I can never hear the kick whenever we try and practice. I'm persevering coz the other guitarist is on the same page, I think part of the problem is that I'm the only one with experience playing heavy music.

This was an attempt to fill the void of the two dudes in my improv band being too far away while I'm at uni, I may have to give up and just dedicate all my time to noise.
-shitty ska band
-play Keasbey Nights 10 times every practice
-no one can write a fucking song
-singer loses the one i helped them write, expects me to just remember all of it
-most of the band more interested in making merch like lame wristbands instead of making music
-bassist can't play the simplest things
-after giving one of the horn players a cd of songs w/o horn sections so he could make one and we'd at least have something new to play, comes to me and says "none of those songs had horns in them." jfc

so, i started playing a game called "how fucked up can i get at practice before anyone says anything?"

i'd drink and get high from the time we started until they all got bored and wanted to go out to eat. (or the one time the one horn guy had to go get stitches because he cut himself with a butterfly knife)

no one ever really said anything. i finally had to quit when the bassist picked me up for practice and i fell asleep in the car and SURPRISE! i wake up to find out we're at the new drummer's house an hour away and nobody told me!
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Quote by jakesmellspoo
-shitty ska band

This is a rite of passage for any self respecting teenage musician

And my old band must have had like 1 sober rehearsal. Drank wine and smoked mad weed for an entire years worth of practice haha. Even did a practice on AL-LAD (LSD analogue) once, that was p wild.
Last edited by korinaflyingv at Dec 19, 2015,
Quote by korinaflyingv
This is a rite of passage for any self respecting teenage musician

And my old band must have had like 1 sober rehearsal. Drank wine and smoked mad weed for an entire years worth of practice haha. Even did a practice on AL-LAD (LSD analogue) once, that was p wild.

i was 20

saddest part: singer was in his mid-20's and dressed like this:

bassist was in his 30's.

most of them wore fedoras. not usually all at the same time, tho. maybe they had a schedule so they wouldn't all show up looking like tools at the same time.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Quote by jakesmellspoo
i was 20

bassist was in his 30's.

most of them wore fedoras. not usually all at the same time, tho. maybe they had a schedule so they wouldn't all show up looking like tools at the same time.

Holy shit
It's an expectation just about everyone that if you play guitar that you MUST play in a band. I felt this way for the first 10 years I played. It wasn't until later I discovered session work and open jams and really dug those. I'm sort of an impatient person, so grinding through songs a few hundred times isn't my idea of fun, so as much as I thought I wanted to be in a band, it wasn't my thing.

I help friends record, go to open jams, and work as a guitar tech. All fulfilling and varied.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
I've found that you can't make a band with friends - it just never works.

I've done this multiple times and it always ends up being some crappy assimilation of all the various types of music we like.

Here's what I've found that works:

1. Write your own music and have different instrument parts ready AND THEN recruit people to play in your band. I've found that most musicians are happy to jump in and play just about anything if someone else is running the show and baby-ing them the whole way.

2. Go out to local shows and meet people that came to see the same bands you did. It can be awkward, but introduce yourself. You'll make friends and maybe can eventually start writing and playing together
and harry doesn't mind if he doesn't make the scene
when i was in a br00tz band i didn't have a license so it was hard for me to make practices as often as the rest of my band liked.

and what was really dumb is that we were all dumb teenagers, so our musical preferences would change so quickly, spastically, whimsically, etc. except me, i always liked Oh, Sleeper, Periphery, and ERRA and that was it.

they would go from djent to death to countrycore to melodiccore all within the same week. so our musicality suffered. as well as none of us were experienced enough at the time nor had the proper gear to have a good sound, except for the drummer. he carried the band, i had no clue what was going on half the time. i was using a marshall MG just for amplification and a RP-155 for everything else. i sounded like garbage.

to emphasize our invalidity and frivolous nature, they decided upon the band name without me. i made the joke that what had happened was they all sat around a table one day and thought of band names. the joke was that one moment someone shouted "NAUTILUS!" and banged their hand on the table and the rest of the band went "YEESSS". and they confirmed my joke.

there wasn't anyone that was a clear leader, either. eventually we stopped playing because we started growing up and going different ways. but we had some fun times and even had a bit of merch as some sweet shirts.

also other musician friends (a lot of the same people from the br00tz band) will sometimes want to jam but we do not know how to really structure such a thing. it does not happen as much as a lot of them have moved but sometimes it does. i generally try to structure it a bit if the situation arises.

i do my best work in a band, really. but generally the band is a christian song cover band for Church service, so it is very structured and people already know exactly what fits the song.

but i really do not have much of a desire to be in band in those regards. it is too difficult to structure and we do not get much done, as we are friends. i would have to do most the structure work myself. i would rather just jump in to an already existing group with structure and add what i can do to it.

i feel like there are very sparse musicians in my area that would really help me grow and i could contribute to them as well. but then again i have not been looking too hard. i think most of them are the band directors at the schools, really. one who i know fairly well has suggested making a small combo with a few other directors and me so i'll see how that goes. we would do jazz standards, so a lot of structure.
Last edited by Will Lane at Dec 19, 2015,
The thing that made me get completely fed up with being in a band is other people quitting. For the last 5-6 years my band had a member leaving for roughly once a year, which basically meant that every time we were finally starting to get regular gigs, we had to find a replacement again. As composing has always been a group effort, it also meant redefining ourselves musically each time someone new entered, which took a lot of time. A while ago two members left within a month, and with the remaining three we decided to just screw it and continue as a three piece. We had to get back to the drawing board either way, but at least this time we know that we can rely on each other to stay interested.
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
Last edited by the bartender at Dec 19, 2015,
I know that feeling. I´m currently in a "band" with some friends who invited me to join their "project". Somehow the rest of them have decided to turn the "project" into a "band". Sadly. the last few rehearsals were about as much fun as dicing 10lbs of onions. Sad thing is that 2 of them are great friends and I don´t want to let them down.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Take your simple plebian melodies elsewhere, scrounger.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
everyone having to make their schedules around everybody else's schedule was the biggest pain for me. all it takes is one person not showing up each time and it doesn't work. if it were easy, everybody would be doing it.
Quote by Banjocal
Take your simple plebian melodies elsewhere, scrounger.

What, somewhere timing changes happen because they sound good, not because there hasn't been one for 5 bars?
Quote by slapsymcdougal
What, somewhere timing changes happen because they sound good, not because there hasn't been one for 5 bars?

Thank you for that comment.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
tbh you sound extremely upset but

what you find pleasing in a melody others might not I enjoy a little controlled chaos.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Quote by Banjocal
tbh you sound extremely upset but

what you find pleasing in a melody others might not I enjoy a little controlled chaos.

Chaos cannot be chaos when it's controlled.

You like musical slavery.
I agree, but it's as close as you get in forcefully composed music. Thus "controlled chaos". If I wanted absolute chaos I'd go into the randomly generated noise stuff or the like. If you don't like the 'genre' I get it but you're taking it hella srs m8
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Last edited by Banjocal at Dec 19, 2015,
Quote by JustRooster
It's an expectation just about everyone that if you play guitar that you MUST play in a band. I felt this way for the first 10 years I played. It wasn't until later I discovered session work and open jams and really dug those. I'm sort of an impatient person, so grinding through songs a few hundred times isn't my idea of fun, so as much as I thought I wanted to be in a band, it wasn't my thing.

I help friends record, go to open jams, and work as a guitar tech. All fulfilling and varied.

i kind of gave up on playing guitar in a band a while back. i'm just not that good and frankly, i'm not willing to put in the time or effort to get any better.

i do still want to take a stab at singing. problem is all the people i know in the punk scene around NJ all wanna do the same hardcore/crust type stuff and i've wanted to do either some Descendents type shit.

i could probably do guitar if i got some people together for some stupid shit like Dead Milkmen or Angry Samoans. i'd like to do that, too.

inb4 "blahblahblah, punk sucks, etc, blahblahblah
Quote by jakesmellspoo at #33737400
i kind of gave up on playing guitar in a band a while back. i'm just not that good and frankly, i'm not willing to put in the time or effort to get any better.

i do still want to take a stab at singing. problem is all the people i know in the punk scene around NJ all wanna do the same hardcore/crust type stuff and i've wanted to do either some Descendents type shit.

i could probably do guitar if i got some people together for some stupid shit like Dead Milkmen or Angry Samoans. i'd like to do that, too.

inb4 "blahblahblah, punk sucks, etc, blahblahblah

ya, NJ sucks. my area is all blink-182 rip-offs that sound exactly the same.
cant find musicians with remotely simalar tastes.
doesnt want to play covers for zero money.
just stopped caring
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Quote by xTURTLENECKx
ya, NJ sucks. my area is all blink-182 rip-offs that sound exactly the same.

you're in Brink right? if your profile's up to date.

some of the guys i know who've been in some cooler hardcore bands are from that area. i think there was a show supposed to happen down that way earlier this month, but i missed it.

i played this girl's sweet 16 party down in brink with the first shitty band i was in years ago.

no one liked us and i wouldn't blame them.

the central Jersey area is kind of stagnant right now, imo. i love seeing shows in New Brunswick, but it's been at a low since i started going again a few months ago. it kinda does that, tho. it'll pick up again.

maybe i'll go be a creep and hang around the dorms and look for kids in punk shirts to start a band with.
Quote by slapsymcdougal at #33737279
Chaos cannot be chaos when it's controlled.

You like musical slavery.

lol opposed to musical freedom? you have to be trolling
to be fair you get aleatoricism and algorithmic music
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Quote by jakesmellspoo at #33737424
you're in Brink right? if your profile's up to date.

some of the guys i know who've been in some cooler hardcore bands are from that area. i think there was a show supposed to happen down that way earlier this month, but i missed it.

i played this girl's sweet 16 party down in brink with the first shitty band i was in years ago.

no one liked us and i wouldn't blame them.

the central Jersey area is kind of stagnant right now, imo. i love seeing shows in New Brunswick, but it's been at a low since i started going again a few months ago. it kinda does that, tho. it'll pick up again.

maybe i'll go be a creep and hang around the dorms and look for kids in punk shirts to start a band with.

*brick . i've never really come across any hardcore around here. mainly just pop-punk and metalcore stuff. there was a few "grunge" bands, but they've all either broken up or relocated.
Last edited by xTURTLENECKx at Dec 19, 2015,
Quote by Banjocal
I agree, but it's as close as you get in forcefully composed music. Thus "controlled chaos". If I wanted absolute chaos I'd go into the randomly generated noise stuff or the like. If you don't like the 'genre' I get it but you're taking it hella srs m8

Does this look like my serious face?
I left because the guitarist kept trying to tell me that the Macbook isn't a "real instrument"
The plan was to drink until the pain over.
But what's worse, the pain or the hangover?
Who am I? I'm a titan so be expectin' a clash.
Right now I'm pretty bummed out. My band plays shit like Paranoid, Mary Janes last Dance, Message in a Bottle, the Immigrant song, Rock me Baby, Crossroads, just a bunch of rock pop that was popular 50 years ago but bores the life out of me. Not only that, we don't ever get paid gigs. It's always for tips at dive bars. It sucks. I wanna incorporate jazz standards like Afro Blue, Take Five, Mr. P.C., Footprints, My Favorite Things, Is you is or is you ain't Buckethead. But the rest of the band thinks that's too difficult and or not part of their music taste.

Idk what to do.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
Right now I'm pretty bummed out. My band plays shit like Paranoid, Mary Janes last Dance, Message in a Bottle, the Immigrant song, Rock me Baby, Crossroads, just a bunch of rock pop that was popular 50 years ago but bores the life out of me. Not only that, we don't ever get paid gigs. It's always for tips at dive bars. It sucks. I wanna incorporate jazz standards like Afro Blue, Take Five, Mr. P.C., Footprints, My Favorite Things, Is you is or is you ain't Buckethead. But the rest of the band thinks that's too difficult and or not part of their music taste.

Idk what to do.

You play for tips, but you want to play jazz standards?

Quote by slapsymcdougal

lel
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Played with a band where the lead guitarist decided he owned it. We all had to play covers and only covers of songs that he chose and pretty much only he wanted to. We put up with it for some reason. He'd get really furious, just went straight to angry shouting, if anyone had anything to say about doing things differently. He'd at times considered covering a song somebody mentioned if it was similar enough to his liking. Considered.

I was a crappy rhythym guitarist at the time, only just started out really. This lead guitarist guy was actually a friend. He named the band after his breed of dogs (lame). I had lost most of my will just trying to play these songs I didn't really like and going through the drama of him constantly getting into arguments with the drummer even though they were friends long before we were.

The time I lost all my will was when I suggested we should play some stuff some of us were making up, I'd written a few riffs and made songs out of them at the time. He just exploded and replied with something like "I didn't form this band to have fun, I did it to make money. We play what the crowd wants and they want covers." Wtf?! We were like 14 and didn't even gig or anything. When I heard this I was just like nope, goodbye. You crazy. Believe it or not it didn't take that long for it to fall apart. 6 years on I make songs with the bassist from that band since we're best buds.
The quest for your perfect gear is like being under the surface of a huge, overpowering lake. When you've nearly swam to the light on the surface it shoots far out of your sight again. Still, I'll enjoy the swim. What'd I do if I reached the top?
Last edited by sasquatchjosh96 at Dec 19, 2015,
Quote by jakesmellspoo
i was 20

bassist was in his 30's.

I would pay to see that

EDIT:

I joined a band a couple of years ago. It was two guys who had recorded an EP by themselves and wanted musicians so they could play live shows.

The first words they said to me after they heard me play and decided I could play their songs was "We're in this to make money"

This is one of their songs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Yh2Cuh5yZ4

Safe to say, I jumped ship pretty quick when I learned they weren't interested in doing anything other than their stuff.
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
Last edited by i_lovemetallica at Dec 19, 2015,
Page 1 of 2