Page 1 of 3
You're either performing (for others or yourself) or you're practicing (practice includes composing), I wanna know what you guys practice. I assume all of us here play some sort of instrument. I was recently discussing the things I practice with a friend that also plays the guitar and he told me that what I practice is impractical and a waste of time and that I should practice performing instead.
It really depends on my mood to be honest.
And I don't really "practice" anymore. I just kinda play. Practicing insinuates what I'm doing is actually improving my abilities, and it's not
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie
i feel like you have an obsession with aubrey plaza.

Quote by WCPhils
at least we can all agree SGstriker is the woooooooooooooooooooooorst
Anything that's on the edge of my abilities, really, plus RHCP stuff just for fun.

Also I tend to start off with Sublime's ska songs because I find the skanks help warm up my hands quickly and it's fucking cold in my room.

EDIT: fuck please ignore that punctuation and capital letters n shit i forgot this was the pit
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Most the time i'll go over the shit Im trying to tab out, When im drinking ill just improvise riffs, I never practice scales or any of that type of shit.
SANDBLAST YOURSELF.

Quote by i_lovemetallica
If you think Gollum was sober with his whole "Gollum/Smeagol" thing and thinking he was invisible with the ring, then you need to remove the cotton wool from your eyes.

Wake up sheeple.

Sunaj
everything except composition really, I don't have the affinity for it
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
Bouree, over and over and over again
WHAT A
HORRIBLE
NIGHT TO
HAVE A
CURSE.
I try to stick to a schedule.
I warm up with some exercises.
Then I move on to learning a new chord and how its used and making sure I can switch to it quickly. I do this for about 5-10 minutes and if I dont have the chord down then I come back to it tomorrow.
Then I move onto scale for another 10 mins or so.
After that I get into a song that im trying to learn. Ill practice a song for as long as I feel comfortable. Right now its Blue oyster cult - burning for you .
After that I run through a few songs I already know to make sure I can still play them.
And after all that if my wife isnt yelling at me I just jam until I get bored
I indirectly practice scales when I noodle. That is about it. I noodle probably an hour or more a day, depending on how I feel. I work on barres a little here and there but find it frustrating because I can't finger them quickly enough to incorporate them into my play. I'd force myself to just practice barres ad nauseum until I could do them well but I'm worried it would discourage me from playing.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
EDIT: fuck please ignore that punctuation and capital letters n shit i forgot this was the pit

lol
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
I am not a guitarist. I can play, yes, but I only really play to write music and accompany my voice if I'm performing solo.

I don't practice, I rehearse.
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Patterns within scales until I can memorize them and pull them out during improv. That's about 99% of what I spend my guitar time on.
I don't really practice. It's not fun, and screwing around is.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Justin Bieber songs

Nah just kidding Mainly death metal. I try to split my time between riff/song writing and techinque improvement.
whatever songs seem to keep drawing me back to them. a lot of songs are cool, but just not appealing over time. I find the more songs I get to learn the pickier I have to be about what I wanna learn, cause if I try the learn too many, I cant get good at the ones I really wanna nail down....the two albums I practice pretty consistently are Zeppelin 1 & 2...bass
Last edited by mattedbird at Dec 19, 2015,
Quote by JustRooster
Patterns within scales until I can memorize them and pull them out during improv. That's about 99% of what I spend my guitar time on.

By patterns within scales do you mean, for instance the Buckethead/Paul Gilbert lick, or any method of playing the scale other than up and down?
Quote by slapsymcdougal
I don't really practice. It's not fun, and screwing around is.

yeah
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
I play along with songs I like, then I noodle for a bit, write riffs.

Been playing for nearly 10 years and still can't write a song
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
Quote by TobusRex
in "D minor"?

A minor, because while it's the same skin flute, it's not always the same minor.
Quote by Diemon Dave
I just rape the shit out of my e string. Chicks like it so it's all that matters.
Heavy metal rules, all that punk shit sucks. It doesn’t belong in this world; it belongs on fuckin’ Mars, man! What the hell is punk shit?
Quote by slapsymcdougal
A minor, because while it's the same skin flute, it's not always the same minor.

Quote by EmoSupremo
I just rape the shit out of my e string. Chicks like it so it's all that matters.

On that note, am I the only one who has a couple of crappy pop songs in their repertoire for when a girl asks you to play for them?

If so, what song is it?
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
And everything must pass
Quote by i_lovemetallica
On that note, am I the only one who has a couple of crappy pop songs in their repertoire for when a girl asks you to play for them?

If so, what song is it?

Dramarama- Anything Anything
Heavy metal rules, all that punk shit sucks. It doesn’t belong in this world; it belongs on fuckin’ Mars, man! What the hell is punk shit?
Quote by i_lovemetallica

If so, what song is it?

Closest I get is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBg7ptyUt0U

(I'm guessing stuff like 60's Merseybeat-ish doesn't rally count, right?)
Quote by Diemon Dave
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Closest I get is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBg7ptyUt0U

(I'm guessing stuff like 60's Merseybeat-ish doesn't rally count, right?)

I can hear the panties hitting the floor from here
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
And everything must pass
Quote by i_lovemetallica
I can hear the panties hitting the floor from here

TBH, Chris Bowes is probably a better singer than I am, so I'd never actually agree to play a song for anyone.
Quote by Diemon Dave
I usually just play the first few bars of Classical Gas, no singing required, and chicks think it's difficult.
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
And everything must pass
Quote by i_lovemetallica at #33737662

If so, what song is it?

I don't because I can't be fucked and I don't enjoy any of them enough

Although I have contemplated learning What's Up by 4 non-blondes so I can have that one song that everyone knows but nearly no-one nows the words to

Oh and To Her Door by Paul Kelly, can play that in Australia and someone will sing a long
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
Quote by Pastafarian96
I don't because I can't be fucked and I don't enjoy any of them enough

Although I have contemplated learning What's Up by 4 non-blondes so I can have that one song that everyone knows but nearly no-one nows the words to

Oh and To Her Door by Paul Kelly, can play that in Australia and someone will sing a long

What's up by 4 Non Blondes,

A, B, D, A and repeat.

Big Jet Plane by Angust & Julia Stone is a crowd pleaser, or anything by Passenger
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
And everything must pass
Page 1 of 3