Hi all,

I'm a proud owner of the Egnater Rebel 30 M1 running into the Egnater Tourmaster 4x12B. I've Had the amp head for 2 years, 8 and a half months now. Bought 2nd hand(or B-stock) from GuitarGuitar. At time of purchase everything was wonderful. No noise, hiss, hums etc.

Problem 1
After a year and a half of owning the amp, the overdrive channel started to have some problems. Whilst playing I would occasionally lose the 'umph' of volume. So the volume would drop by itself whilst playing. I thought that maybe it was time to change some tubes, so I took it into a store to do exactly that.

Once it came out of repair. I took it home, it didn't turn on. Took it back and the shop had to replace the '250ma Fast-Blo Fuse' if I remember correctly. Possibly damaged in transit, unsure on the reason for it. Anyway, once I finally got it home again, that volume dipping problem was fixed. However it didn't have the gain like it used to have when I bought it. I took the amp apart and noticed all the power tubes were still stock. The pre-amp tubes also seemed to be stock. Also it appears the chassis has never been removed, until a few days ago, which makes me believe if he did change anything it won't have been Biased.

After having a previous problem with fixing a Line6DL4 with that shop (long story), and now the decreased gain on my amp. I decided not to go back there for further assistance/costs. Since then I've used a Suhr Riot/TC Nova System on the clean channel for my overdrive. Now I'm looking to get Channel 2 back to it's full potential.

Problem 2
As of recent, I've begun to hear your typical hum/hiss/static noises on both channels. I've read a few similar threads on the same issue. This problem I'm describing as background noise, as it is not affected by any of the knobs. This problem is louder when tube mix is set towards EL84.

Volume / Bass / Treble / Gain / Mid set to 0 on both channels. No Guitar plugged in. Reverb off.
Channel 1 - low hum & hiss
Channel 2 - Low hum & hiss (hiss volume reduced in comparison to C1 )

Problem 3
When turning the volume up^ there is a new noise introduced alongside the background noise on both channels.
Channel 1 - static & hiss
Channel 2 - static & hiss

GOALS
1. Get the Overdrive Channel running like it used to. Is it a power tube problem?
2. Get rid of hiss/hum/static!

I read a thread online saying a guy put in a 'GE 12AT7' in V3 in the tube layout that reduced the noise by -15db. Something I am considering doing after reading.

What other decisions/ should I undergo to 'fix' my problems? Thanks!
Fender Special Edition Custom Telecaster FMT HH in Crimson Red
Reverend Sensei HB FM in Tobacco Burst
Fender Vintage C Neck, HH, Surf Green Nitrocellulose (Handmade)

Egnater Rebel-30 MKI Head
Egnater Tourmaster Series 412B 280W 4x12 Cabinet
throw a new set of tubes in it
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
^

Yup. Probably your best bet. Are you sure none of the preamp tubes had been changed with that first service? Putting a lower gain preamp tube in the right preamp position could lower the gain of the amp. That could maybe explain it.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
Come to think of it, at one point I took the amp to GuitarGuitar when the overdrive channel cut out (can't remember if before or after that service). They replaced one of the pre-amp tubes for me as one had died which prevented the overdrive channel from working. So that could explain the lack of gain!

Clean channel was fine. Just overdrive channel had stopped. I'll look at tube layout to figure out which pre-amp tube it was.

Last edited by Aurigo at Dec 19, 2015,
I'd just buy a few 12ax7's and swap em in
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
^+1

It wouldn't hurt. It very likely the noise is coming from one of the pres. Also, depening on how heavy your use is, its a good idea to swap the power tubes every couple years. I'd say your amp is about due for a full re-tube, if you got the cash.

12at7's offer about 60% as much gain as a 12ax7. That's why an amp would seem quieter with them, as opposed to 12ax7's. I doubt there would be a 15dB difference tho.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
I've had the amp nearly 3 years, it was bought 2nd hand from GuitarGuitar so I don't know how long exactly the tubes have had their lifetime for.

I currently have these installed (just opened it up to look)
Ruby El84 x2
Electro Harmonics 6v6 x2

PI = JJECC83S
V1 = Tung-SOl 12AX7
V2 = JJECC83S
V3 = Ruby 12Ax7A
V4 = Ruby 12Ax7A

Just been looking at some comparison videos for 12ax7's. Quite liking the following.
Sovtek 12ax7c
Groove Tube 12ax7

In terms of powertubes. Ever since I've had the amp, the EH 6v6's have been very low in volume in comparison to the EL84. Although this could be down to how long it was owned before I got my hands on it. So I'm going to hit the web for example clips.

Tube Layout:
http://www.egnateramps.com/EgnaterProducts/Rebel/Rebel30/assets/Rebel30TubeLayout.jpg

V1 input tube shared between CH1 & CH2.
V2 second tube in CH2
V3 second tube in CH1
V4 Effects Loop send and return

Last edited by Aurigo at Dec 19, 2015,