So i havnt listened to Metallica in a while, i was listening to ride the lighting and there's something i think is wacky cool at the solo (minute 3:55) at the triplets part the little fast repeating melody goes Am-G-Gm-A and the rythm guitar is picking fast power chords going like..
B#5 - B5 - A#5 - A5
and that two together to me makes no sense whats up with that? normally i would think id would just the same as the melody A5-G5-G5-A5 like so.

Maybe some music nerd here can shine me on how this goes on?
Just cause you don't understand what's going on don't mean it don't make no sense. And just cause you don't like it don't mean it ain't no good.
Heavy metal rules, all that punk shit sucks. It doesn’t belong in this world; it belongs on fuckin’ Mars, man! What the hell is punk shit?
Quote by EmoSupremo
Just cause you don't understand what's going on don't mean it don't make no sense. And just cause you don't like it don't mean it ain't no good.

When the HELL did i ever say it wasnt good? i like metallica alot. if youre not gonna answer my question i dont see why you even bother to comment
that first power chord is C not B# (the two are different names for the same note, but in this case, and most cases you wouldn't call it B#) and the A# power chord should probably be called Bb for reasons that should be apparent in a moment.

The most basic (and not really correct) way to look at it - the first 3 power chord's root notes are the 3rd of the chord the lead guitar is playing arpeggios of and then the last is just an A power chord with an A triad on lead.

Am = A C E
G = G B D
Gm = G Bb D (since it's the 3rd of G it should be called Bb - G is one, A is two, B is three, which you then flat.)
A = A C# E

The other way to look at it is that since all of the lead melodies contain the root and 3rd and 6th of the power chord, excluding the final A, the actual chord progression is C6 Bmb6 Bb6 A, or more to the point, C Bm Bb A - the 6ths can be considered melodic decoration.

C = C E G (A is the 6, G is in the power chord)
Bm = B D F# (G is the b6, F# is in the power chord)
Bb = Bb D F (G is the 6, F is in the power chord)
A = A C# E

In this case it's also more correct to call the 3rd chord Bb instead of A# because the 3rd is D and the 5th is F. Bb C D E F if you called it A# then the notes in the chord would be A# C## E# which is silly.

So, its a chord progression moving downward chromatically and the lead fills in the 3rds that are left out in the basic power chords, as well as adding in the 6ths for color.

To figure stuff like this out, just take all the notes and put them together and see what they are together and figure out which ones are important to the progression. C power chord has the notes C and G, the Am arpeggio has the notes A C and E, put them all together and you get C E G A, which is a C6 chord.
Last edited by The4thHorsemen at Dec 19, 2015,
Quote by EmoSupremo at #33737814

Get used to the millennial jargon soon.
--
The progression is
C G/B Gm/Bb A

The descending bass is a common music idiom, favored for conservation of motion (less movement than C G G A).

A and C share one common tone: E. That's why they're used as connectors.

A -> G (downwards)
C# -> C (downwards)
E -> E (no motion)
Glad to cross paths with you on this adventure called life
Quote by Jet Penguin
lots of flirting with the other key without confirming. JUST LIKE THEIR LOVE IN THE MOVIE OH DAMN.
Quote by Hail
you're acting like you have perfect pitch or something
Quote by zomfg1021
When the HELL did i ever say it wasnt good? i like metallica alot. if youre not gonna answer my question i dont see why you even bother to comment

It's a joke, you freak. Lyrics from a Suicidal Tendencies song. And it was damn funny.
Quote by pressureproject
It's a joke, you freak. Lyrics from a Suicidal Tendencies song. And it was damn funny.

Thank you.
Heavy metal rules, all that punk shit sucks. It doesn’t belong in this world; it belongs on fuckin’ Mars, man! What the hell is punk shit?
Quote by NeoMvsEu at #33737888
C G/B Gm/Bb A

Ah, yea, that better describes the function of the chords than C6 Bmb6 Bb6 A. I didn't think of looking at them as / chords.
Quote by EmoSupremo

i also liked this post, and given the OPs response to it, i don't like him enough to contribute
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.