Hi not sure if this is the right section I've never used this forum but I recently purchased an ibanez rg470pb in blue, when I got it it came in standard tuning so I tuned to C and ever since I swear some of the strings (now it's hard to explain) have lost that feel not litterally feel but they don't ring out the same as they used to especially the bottom string it just doesn't sound as clean and ringy is the only word I can think of , and I also have a little bit of fret buzz on the top string and have tried the action which made no difference
Describe to me what you mean by 'feel'. Jimmy Hendricks had feel. Do you have no feel?

Is the Floyd balanced?
What's the action at the 12th fret on both the 6th and 1st strings?
What's the neck releif at the 7th fret?
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Dec 20, 2015,
What strings are you using?
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Ok the best way I can term it is some strings are more full than the others I really hope you can maybe comprehend what I'm trying to get across they just simply don't ring out as much and they just feel like they're lacking the ringing out and something else it's weird. Also I don't know what strings I'm using they're stock as far as I know and the trem is sinking into the cavity a tiny bit but not much , when you say what's the action do you want me to literally measure the distance between fretboard and string? Also I have no idea what neck relief is lol. This is my first time here and I really appreciate your/any replies.
I'm afraid I don't have time to answer all those questions at the moment, but your problem is almost certainly that (a) with your trem tilted back into the cavity the low action means the strings are buzzing on the fretboard and (b) those strings (probably 9s) in that tuning will be like playing damp spaghetti.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Ok so what your advising is adjust the springs to redo the trem and get bigger gauge strings?
Yeah you need to balance the FR with the strings you decide to put on it for your current tuning.

There is a setup guide in the EG forum that will help you out.

You will also want to check the intonation of each new string and the neck relief.

I am a huge advocate of learning to DIY, but with FR bridges I highly suggest you take it to an experienced tech and have them do the set-up. FR bridges can be a major pain in the ass to get right. last one I did was my Ibanez JS and it literally took me 2.5 hours and I am a guitar tech. I can do any other guitar in under 30min for a full setup
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Nope, I think what he meant is you need to set up the Floyd Rose spring based on the string guage, the trem claw should be unscrew one to two turns counter clockwise because 9's have less tension. while if you use 10's, you need to screw trem claw one to two turns clockwise to provide more tension for the thicker strings. For Floyd Rose trem, it is better to set them to floating and not flush to the body.. It sort of defeats the purpose to have it flush. Changing strings on a Floyd Rose can be a pain if you don't know what you are doing, try watching a few videos on YouTube; you can use a flat rubber to put under the trem so it doesn't go into the trem cavity, I bought a Shredneck Trem block (does the same thing).

Hope you are able to set it up to your preference. Good luck.
I have Washburn guitars 'Maverick Series' and bass 'Bantam Series' and a few pedals and amps, but man I wish to have more patience and drive practicing my playing, if it's equal to the modding itch, then I'm golden.
From E to C is quite a difference. You need much thicker strings. Install those first and then check and adjust everything--bridge, action, relief.
Quote by Robbgnarly
Yeah you need to balance the FR with the strings you decide to put on it for your current tuning.

There is a setup guide in the EG forum that will help you out.

You will also want to check the intonation of each new string and the neck relief.

I am a huge advocate of learning to DIY, but with FR bridges I highly suggest you take it to an experienced tech and have them do the set-up. FR bridges can be a major pain in the ass to get right. last one I did was my Ibanez JS and it literally took me 2.5 hours and I am a guitar tech. I can do any other guitar in under 30min for a full setup

Well, I think he should do the setup himself so he can learn the nature of the beast.

Plus, I've lost count of the people who got their Floyds badly set up because they took it to a tech.

I'm not criticising all techs, it's just that there are some of them who call themselves "experienced", but then they know nothing about setting up Floyds properly or even a guitar as a whole.

TS, get thicker strings and look for online guides on how to set up a Floyd Rose.

Like Robb mentioned, there is a good one here in the Electric Guitar forum: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=614226

If you even don't know what neck relief is, then please, check this thread first in the Neck Relief section before you do anything to your Floyd Rose: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=602241
Last edited by DanyFS at Dec 20, 2015,
Quote by DanyFS
Well, I think he should do the setup himself so he can learn the nature of the beast.

Plus, I've lost count of the people who got their Floyds badly set up because they took it to a tech.

I'm not criticising all techs, it's just that there are some of them who call themselves "experienced", but then they know nothing about setting up Floyds properly or even a guitar as a whole.

TS, get thicker strings and look for online guides on how to set up a Floyd Rose.

Like Robb mentioned, there is a good one here in the Electric Guitar forum: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=614226

If you even don't know what neck relief is, then please, check this thread first in the Neck Relief section before you do anything to your Floyd Rose: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=602241

Well there are a few specialty tools that make working on a Fr easier. The FR Key is a must have if you own a FR equipped guitar.

And no offence taken. FR guitars don't seem to be all that popular in my area, so my experience with them is far less than many tech's. I also didn't mention that the FR on my guitar was completely disassembled so I had to do everything.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
If you just dropped it to C without any setup, then you have wayyy too much pull from the springs. Look at the trem, and I bet its pulled into the cavity, and not sitting nice and flat. You'll need to remove some springs.

Listen to Robb. Unless you're really keen to do the research, and attempt it yourself, you're better off bring it to a tech. My MIJ strat's floating bridge was way out of wack when I bought it. I usually do all my own work, but I decided to bite the bullet and bring it to a tech for an initial setup. I've been able to maintain it myself ever since, but it can be a real hassle to get it setup properly.

Even just doing the little tweeks I do at string changes is a huge PITA on that thing. I swear I have nightmares from time to time about adjusting the intonation on that fucker.

I would say these people are idiots for not demanding their money back. I'll agree that all techs aren't perfect at everything, but if they're willing to put out shitty work and not own up to it, then that's just bad business. You should not have to worry about your tech being incompetent. That's why I avoid techs at chain stores like L&M, and do my research first. Ask around town if you have to.

And I am a believer in doing all my own work, but jumping into a full floyd setup with very little knowledge just spells disaster.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
Last edited by red.guitar at Dec 20, 2015,
Quote by Robbgnarly
Well there are a few specialty tools that make working on a Fr easier. The FR Key is a must have if you own a FR equipped guitar.

And no offence taken. FR guitars don't seem to be all that popular in my area, so my experience with them is far less than many tech's. I also didn't mention that the FR on my guitar was completely disassembled so I had to do everything.

Indeed, Floyds have a bit of a learning curve. I only got 100% comfortable with mine after 2 or 3 string changes, before that I was really afraid of screwing something up.

I never assembled a Floyd, but sounds difficult if you don't know anything about them.

Quote by red.guitar
I would say these people are idiots for not demanding their money back. I'll agree that all techs aren't perfect at everything, but if they're willing to put out shitty work and not own up to it, then that's just bad business. You should not have to worry about your tech being incompetent. That's why I avoid techs at chain stores like L&M, and do my research first. Ask around town if you have to.

And I am a believer in doing all my own work, but jumping into a full floyd setup with very little knowledge just spells disaster.

You're right, people really should demand their money back if the tech fucks something up. But for some reason, it looks like that they are afraid of doing it at times.

Well, I had to jump into a full floyd setup with little knowledge when I got my first FR guitar. You see, there's only one guitar store in my area, and the tech isn't really experienced. He just knows how to do string changes on non locking tremolo guitars, setup intonation on non locking tremolo guitars and set up the truss rod. I think he knows how to change pickups too. In other words, he just knows the basic stuff.

As such, I had to do all the necessary research on online guides before even touching the FR. The rest came with experience acquired when changing strings and setting it up.
How to setup Floyd Rose, some interesting reads for new owner of guitar with FR

http://www.guitarrepairbench.com/electric-guitar-repairs/floydrose_tremolo_setup.html

http://www.glowingtubes.com/p/FloydTuning.htm

Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YN7qF6JLoIc

Tool:
Shredneck Trem Block (or use a piece of wood or whatever to keep the trem from going into the cavity)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dbL5SaiLBg
I have Washburn guitars 'Maverick Series' and bass 'Bantam Series' and a few pedals and amps, but man I wish to have more patience and drive practicing my playing, if it's equal to the modding itch, then I'm golden.
Don't buy a FR-equipped guitar if you don't know the do's and don't. End of discussion. Certainly not if you want to change tuning...
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Quote by HomerSGR
Don't buy a FR-equipped guitar if you don't know the do's and don't. End of discussion. Certainly not if you want to change tuning...

Oh, c'mon.