Hey there! So yesterday, I replaced the stock pickups on my MIM Standard Strat with a set of Fender Vintage Noiseless pickups (good tone, but the hum was driving me nuts). I have mostly been very happy with them, their clean tones in particular are out of this world.

The one and only thing that bugs me is this: as one can see by their specs in Fender's website, the bridge pickup is voiced for a bit less treble than the other 2 pickups.

Now, while that pickup sounded positively ear-splitting on the stock set (clean tone), I loved the way it brought out my riffs, with the extra top end. By comparison, the bridge pickup on the Fender VN set lacks a bit of that treble rip.

So, I thought swapping the positions of the middle and bridge pickups would help. Because the neck and middle pickups are identical and have more top end, which becomes all the more apparent with a clean tone. I don't mind having less top end on the middle pickup, because I use positions 2, 3 and 4 with clean tones, and positions 1 and 5 for overdriven tones.

And 99,9% of the time I play with distortion, so...

So what do you guys think? Is my idea false, or should I pull the trigger on it?
Yamaha F310P "Bella"
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Goldtop "Chrysa"
Fender Standard Stratocaster "Michelle"
Fender Classic Series 70s Stratocaster "Nefertiti"

Marshall DSL15C
BIAS FX & AMP
Line 6 POD X3

Dunlop Stubby 3.0mm picks
D'Addario strings
Last edited by CostasNoir at Dec 20, 2015,
which set do you actually have?
all but one of the sets use the same magnetics and the pickups are rated at the same output...so all 3 pickups are actually the same.

You can try moving the bridge pickup closer to your strings first.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by AcousticMirror
which set do you actually have?
all but one of the sets use the same magnetics and the pickups are rated at the same output...so all 3 pickups are actually the same.

You can try moving the bridge pickup closer to your strings first.

Fender Vintage Noiseless. I tried the pickup height thing, the bridge pickup is at its highest and nothing has changed.
Yamaha F310P "Bella"

Marshall DSL15C
BIAS FX & AMP
Line 6 POD X3

D'Addario strings
I would change setup before changing pickup positions. Maybe even just increase the treble bite from your amp/boost pedal. Your guitar, your choice but I would leave PU positions alone and find another solution.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by Cajundaddy
I would change setup before changing pickup positions. Maybe even just increase the treble bite from your amp/boost pedal. Your guitar, your choice but I would leave PU positions alone and find another solution.

Increasing treble/presence on the amp didn't do it. I use a modeled DOD 250 Overdrive/Preamp on my Digitech RP500, and that does give me the sound I want, so much so, I am seriously considering buying the real thing. But since I am mostly a straight-into-the-amp kinda guy, I don't want to set everything up each time I play. Thanks for the answer though.
Yamaha F310P "Bella"

Marshall DSL15C
BIAS FX & AMP
Line 6 POD X3

D'Addario strings
Another way to change the tonal balance of a PU is to angle the PU height. Raise the treble side as high as possible and back down the bass side until you find the balance you are looking for. This has more to do with string balance but also affects overall tonal balance. Lots of possible tweaks to get the sound you are after. All of my guitars have angled PU height to get the string and tonal balance I am after.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY