Hello. I have been playing for a few years now and I am looking to build a rack rig system. This would be my first I got a Phonic rack gate and I plan to get a Furman conditioner but from their I was wanting some ideas for a good 6 spot metal rig. What do you guys suggest or current run. I'm using a 2X12 100w Peavey viper. I currently play on the 6505, Rectifier, and dzl mainly messing around some with the k-stein till I find which one sounds the best fully for me. Any advice helps.

Thank you,

Josh R.
What's your budget?

Gator makes a decent one for not a whole lot.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GR6S
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
That's about in the budget for a temporary till I make my 6 space with a 2X12 cab.
Quote by jroessner
That's about in the budget for a temporary till I make my 6 space with a 2X12 cab.

Like you're building a case to hold the rack gear, and 212 all in one?
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
74' Vibro Champ
Yeah I'm gonna have a 2X12 on the bottom with a 6 space on top enclosed and may build in a spot for a head but I'm not 100% for that yet. I got the idea from a company called "aftershock Designs".
Cool.

2 things to keep in mind.

1. Wait until you have the head and cab you're confident you're going to want to be using for the foreseeable future. It would really suck to build it, then a year or however long later, decide you want a different head/cab that won't fit. I guarantee that you're going to upgrade that vyper at some point.

2. Think about the weight of this thing. Although it could be convenient to have everything together, that mother fucker is going to weigh a tonn! And I'm assuming you don't have any roadies currently There's a reason you've probably only seen pro running something like this.

My bass player has been talking about doing a similar setup with his rig, but I think I've talked him out of it, just based on the argument of how often he's wanting to change pieces of his rig. Building something like that is basically a permanent rig, unless you want to keep throwing money at it to modify/rebuild.

My advice would be to wait it out, work on saving for a nicer amp and guitar (maybe pickup a cheaper MFX unit to serve your effects needs in the meantime), then work on the rack later.

Building a full working rack setup is not going to be cheap at all. I've been contemplating it for a while now, but I just can't justify that cost. But that's me.

How much do you play live now?

That's just my 2 cents.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
74' Vibro Champ
I would keep the cab separate, this thing will be a nightmare to transport unless you're in a big band with roadie budget, etc. but if you're then most likely you wouldn't mention the Viper...

I like Gator. There are most likely huge deals to be had on used racks, they go for next to nothing and brand new they are scary expensive. I'd say hit your local craigslist, etc.
I planned to just keep the head separately on top and just the 2x12 with the six space on top leaving an inch top and bottom and 2 in between with casters on the bottom just leaving it to loading and unloading with wheeling to be the rest. But I may try separates see how it goes. All advice appreciated thanks.
Agree with regard to size. I was using a 6 and a 4u case with a couple of fillers. I bought an 8U case and used it once. it was too heavy and cumbersome. I still have it for storage but it isn't much use otherwise.

I don't see much advantage in combining a cab and rack in one unit. You will compromise your options on where you can position your speakers as well as the convenience of getting to your controls.
Please note: The above comments are based on my experience, and may represent my perception of that experience. This may not be accurate and, subject to the style of music you play, may be irrelevant or wrong.
Quote by jroessner
Hello. I have been playing for a few years now and I am looking to build a rack rig system. This would be my first I got a Phonic rack gate and I plan to get a Furman conditioner but from their I was wanting some ideas for a good 6 spot metal rig.

Before you assume that the Furman is your best choice, take a look at the Carvin AC120. In addition to being a good surge protector, etc., it will also display that actual voltage coming from the wall and it will *sequence* the turn-on cycle for the items plugged into the back, with a programmable delay between activation. This really helps prevent surges during power up, particularly in sketchy electrical environments.

You may actually NOT want that Phonic Rack Gate. Keep an open mind on that one.

My racks have a preamp and a power amp. The preamp portion has basically varied from a Mesa Triaxis to a Carvin Quad-X to a modeler (Axe Ultra, Pod HD Pro, Bass Pod XT Pro), and the power amp section has varied from a 100W (50W/50W) tube power amp to a 1500W solid state power amp (only weighs about 9 lbs). A Line 6 G90 wireless is often tucked in there for good measure.
Quote by jroessner
I planned to just keep the head separately on top and just the 2x12 with the six space on top leaving an inch top and bottom and 2 in between with casters on the bottom just leaving it to loading and unloading with wheeling to be the rest. But I may try separates see how it goes. All advice appreciated thanks.

Rethink. Lift it up and down a flight of stairs a couple of times and you'll end up going separates. Not only that, but there are going to be a lot of times when you'll want that 2x12 up off the floor, and on an amp stand with a tilt or on top of a flight case, etc.

While it MAY seem like a good idea to have everything packed in at once, weight and bulk will eventually change your mind, trust me. Wheeling that thing across a badly-maintained parking lot will NOT be a pleasure. Been there, done that.
Last edited by dspellman at Dec 22, 2015,
The phonic was an only one in the shop and I'm desperate kinda thing but I think I'm just gonna go the 6 space route and if I do the build keep it more for a home rig. But I'll check the carvin out and do you have any suggestions for the gate replacement