I'm sure this question has been asked more times than anyone can count by now, but as a newcomer to home recording, I wanted to bring it up yet again.

I was recently watching a tutorial that recommended the Focusrite 2i2. I currently own a Line 6 UX2 that I purchased a few years ago. Am I correct in thinking that they essentially play the same role in the recording process? If so, are there any notable differences between them? My understanding of the specification language is basic so I'm struggling to work out which is superior.

Just to clarify, I would use the equipment to record guitar (American-made Fender Telecaster), bass (Warwick Rock Bass Corvette) and vocals.

I'd love to hear people's personal experiences with either hardware or suggestions of superior equipment. As said, I'm relatively new to this and I'd really appreciate the feedback. I know that this question may be somewhat vague as I wasn't sure what else to include so if anyone needs any extra information about my setup and such, let me know and I'll do my best to oblige!
My personal experience with the UX2 is that it sucks. My experience with Focusrite stuff, however, has been quite positive.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by diabolical
I'd say they're pretty close, just look at prices.
If you go up a notch you might get better quality preamps as in RME, etc.

This is true, my apollo has really nice pres.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Between the two I'd choose the focusrite no doubt, but none of them sound really good if ya ask me.

You should read the introduction to recording sticky.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
I'd say the Focusrite is better sounding but honestly, it's not enough of an upgrade to justify the purchase. Unless you're having issues with the L6 interface, don't bother upgrading until you can afford RME, UA, etc.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
I'd say the Focusrite is better sounding but honestly, it's not enough of an upgrade to justify the purchase. Unless you're having issues with the L6 interface, don't bother upgrading until you can afford RME, UA, etc.

+1 also when the time comes to upgrading, you may want more inputs.
Quote by MatrixClaw

+1
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Quote by diabolical
Personally I'm interested in the new Audient range, iD4 and iD22, for the price they look very good.

http://audient.com/products/id14

The only issue I have with Audient is that their pres are undimentional (from experience with their ASP800).

No upper-mid crunch that cheaper pres often have, but at the same time, they don't have that RME/Prism Sound crispness or the API/Warm Audio punch. Very... clinical.

Good thing is their A/D is very nice. No smear, no loss of focus.

I'm interested to see how they factored this into the interface, however.
Quote by Watterboy
Do you have any dilithium crystals or fresh warm dumps for sale
Quote by diabolical
Looks like they're stingy with the preamps as both interfaces come in with 2 preamps only and then you can get ADAT expansion via ADAT preamps, like say PreSonus or Focusrite which the used market is afloat with.

For me that's not much of a deal breaker.

I did notice however that there is no way to clock the Audient interface to your ADAT pres, which is a major killer in my mind. That's why I went with the Scarlett 18i20, has clock out so that I can sync my pres to it, or throw it on a distro system to lock everything to the interface.

I will say, however, that Audient has incredible Customer Service.
Quote by Watterboy
Do you have any dilithium crystals or fresh warm dumps for sale