Hey all,

I was always interested in those Roland pickup+synth pedal combos, but always thought they were too expensive. I'm kind of interested again and feel like I may take the plunge, but I'd like to ask for some opinions on guitar synths, mainly looking for helpful thoughts on:

- Are there any other guitar synth systems I should look into rather than Roland's?

- Is it possible to run the synthesized sound through a Pod Xt in order to record the produced sounds?

- What's the biggest difference between the really expensive models of the Roland synths and the less expensive ones?

I intend to use it to record many instruments for some compositions and thought this would be a great way to do it rather than doing it all using computer software.
Guitars:
'11 Gibson Buckethead LP
'97 Fender Cali Series Strat
?? Samick Bass
'01 Fernandes Dragonfly Elite
Quote by bluezombie
Hey all,

I was always interested in those Roland pickup+synth pedal combos, but always thought they were too expensive. I'm kind of interested again and feel like I may take the plunge, but I'd like to ask for some opinions on guitar synths, mainly looking for helpful thoughts on:

- Are there any other guitar synth systems I should look into rather than Roland's?

- Is it possible to run the synthesized sound through a Pod Xt in order to record the produced sounds?

- What's the biggest difference between the really expensive models of the Roland synths and the less expensive ones?

I intend to use it to record many instruments for some compositions and thought this would be a great way to do it rather than doing it all using computer software.
1. The one I can think of is the BOSS SY-300. It apparently does not require the GK pickup, but I have not compared or even played them. Just doing some research for you. (Although I have heard the GR-55 in a few demos, absolutely mental).

2. The SY-300 has main and sub 1/4 outputs. Presumably that is for sub-bass signals, so if you are not using a sub-bass involved patch you probably do not need the sub port. So it would essentially just be like a normal signal. If you were recording a bass line you would want to use the sub output. The GR-55 just has two normal outputs. Although you would want the POD XT set completely flat, no tonal change done to it as all, just using it as an audio interface.
Last edited by Will Lane at Dec 20, 2015,
There's also the Fishman Triple Play but you need a computer to use it so it's a bit impractical unless your just using it for recording purposes imo.

There's the Boss SY300 too, but that only has synth/keyboard sounds, you don't have piano, strings, etc like the GR-500 has
Most of the piezo bridges can be adapted to guitar synth work; the Roland pickup isn't the only (or the best) solution. Check out the iguitar http://www.iguitar.com/ and any of Carvin's MIDI-ready guitars. See if you can find an Axon 100 controller used.
Many Godin models offer synth output as a 13 pin connector. I can't speak about the quality of these but Godin guitars in general are excellent, well built, good value etc.

Since you're already in Quebec, you might have an easier time getting a used one on kijii or craigslist or buying new

http://www.godinguitars.com/godingman.htm

EDIT: I think every godin model that has X in the model name has a synth output
I've been playing Roland synths for 20 years or more. The latest GR55 which I owned and got rid of is the latest. The 55 does not have a loop on the back to run my pedal board through. You have to rely on the on board effects built into the 55...so I was forced to get rid of it and go back to the GR20. You can pick up a good used gr20 in the $200-$300 range. Try the 20 and see how you like it. I actually have 2 and would not trade them for a dozen GR55's.
Thank you for the comments! I'm loving what I heard out of the GR55. What does the GR55 have over the GR20 if the GR20 has a loop for pedals?

Additionally, could you confirm that the GR20 and 55 can both output the audio with a standard 1/4 output?
Guitars:
'11 Gibson Buckethead LP
'97 Fender Cali Series Strat
?? Samick Bass
'01 Fernandes Dragonfly Elite
Last edited by bluezombie at Dec 22, 2015,
Yes, both use 1/4 inch outputs. The 55 has more bells whistles and options, none of which i really needed. I usually run both guitar and synth together on the GK controller. I happened to like the pedal board I had and didn't care for the "Boss" effects on the 55. I found I normally used on 6 or 8 of the synth effects, thus I went back to the 20.
I was in the same boat and bought the gr-20
It was seriously lacking and didn't track well.
You're gonna have to be able to play super clean and it's way more of a pain than just playing stuff on a midi-keyboard if you just want it for recording.
My Soundcloud dudes
Recording gear:
Yahama Hs8
Saffire Pro 40
Shure Sm57
Shure Sm7b

Guitar gear :
Ebmm BFR7
Axe fx XL+
Walrus audio Janus
Ibanez Ergodyne
Black Market Custom cab