It looks as though I will be purchasing a used Peavey Valveking I 100 watt head, as I am looking to expand my tone. I understand the basic nature of tube amps, and I'm pretty decent at dialing in tone. I've been getting a killer tone out of an Ampeg VH140 for about 20 years now, haha. Anyways, I want to have a wider range of tone ranging from rock to metal. I'm not one for copying tone, but to give you an idea of what I'm talking about, the rock bands I'm into are bands like (aside from the classics like Rush and Zeppelin) Queens of the Stone Age and Eagles of Death Metal, but I still want to get metal tones like Mastodon, COC, Ghost, etc. Now, finally here is my question. Do the type of tubes in an amp affect the tone? For example, if I am trying to get more low end, or more grit in my tone, will certain types of tubes make a difference?
Gibson Les Paul 60s Tribute
Jackson King V
Peavey Valveking 100
Ampeg VH140C
Boss TU-3 Chromatic Tuner
MXR ZW-44 Overdrive
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Digitech JamMan Solo XT
Peavey Vypyr VIP 1
Quote by Nolasludge
It looks as though I will be purchasing a used Peavey Valveking I 100 watt head, as I am looking to expand my tone. I understand the basic nature of tube amps, and I'm pretty decent at dialing in tone. I've been getting a killer tone out of an Ampeg VH140 for about 20 years now, haha. Anyways, I want to have a wider range of tone ranging from rock to metal. I'm not one for copying tone, but to give you an idea of what I'm talking about, the rock bands I'm into are bands like (aside from the classics like Rush and Zeppelin) Queens of the Stone Age and Eagles of Death Metal, but I still want to get metal tones like Mastodon, COC, Ghost, etc. Now, finally here is my question. Do the type of tubes in an amp affect the tone? For example, if I am trying to get more low end, or more grit in my tone, will certain types of tubes make a difference?
Different types of tubes are considered to have a certain sound, or are at least those types have a circuit that is most commonly associated with them. But you cannot just go swapping EL34's for EL84's or those for 6L6's. So you really just get room in the brand of tubes you get. Of course you can mod amps so that they can take other tubes but that requires more experienced tech knowledge. And some tubes are interchangeable as well, ECC803's and 12AX7's for example.

The VK 100w head wants 12AX7's in the preamp and 6L6's in the power amp. Really it just takes some experimenting to find what works best for you. You can sometimes order tubes to have low headroom/break up earlier than others, as well as asking for other specifications as well.

What I'll suggest for a VK:

V1 12AX7: TungSol
V2 12AX7: Mullard
V3 12AX7: Sovtek 12AX7LPS
V4-V7 6L6: TungSol (Matched Quad)

But generally if someone wants a more drastic change they will use a pedal or adjust amp controls. A tubescreamer-like boost in to the front input of a crunchy amp helps to get modern saturation sounds. An EQ pedal in the effects loop helps to boost frequencies and cut problem areas (especially with ValveKings). And a clean boost in the effects loop will give a volume boost and can help push the power tubes more.

Also, welcome to the VK thread! Good info there on the VK's as well: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=969296&highlight=valveking+thread VK's are great amps for the money but do some reading on what other users have done to make them sound the best. What cab are you going to use?
Last edited by Will Lane at Dec 20, 2015,
Yes. Not a crazy difference but there is certainly room to tweak it. Particularly V1. It's worth spending some cash on V1.

Edit: A Mullard in V2, Will? Isn't that a cathode follower circuit for the tone stack? A Mullard will shit itself in there. Or am I missing something?
Stick a JJ in V2.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Dec 20, 2015,
Quote by Cathbard
Yes. Not a crazy difference but there is certainly room to tweak it. Particularly V1. It's worth spending some cash on V1.

Edit: A Mullard in V2, Will? Isn't that a cathode follower circuit for the tone stack? A Mullard will shit itself in there. Or am I missing something?
Stick a JJ in V2.
It could possibly be. Glad you mentioned it. I used a Mullard in the VK V2 when I was using it more often. Speaking of that, the V2 in my VK has seemed to be microphonic, I thought I just put an old JJ in there so I did not think much of it. Whoops! Bout to check.
Agreed.

V1 is very important.

Not sure I'd put a Tung Sol there for a Valveking. I tried that on mine when I had a 112.

Edit: +1 on JJs

Are you set on the Valveking? If for some reason you are looking for other options that might be able to nail most of your wish list then give us a budget, location and how important cleans are? And what cab you have now.

Edit again: The Sovtek LPS seems to be very popular in the phase inverter of this amp and lots of others. Why?
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Dec 20, 2015,
Personally, I'd stick JJ everywhere and then experiment with others (mostly NOS) in V1.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
My V2 was a JJ, it is old so. Also if V2 is a cathode follower the VK thread should be edited by...
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Agreed.

V1 is very important.

Not sure I'd put a Tung Sol there for a Valveking. I tried that on mine when I had a 112.

Are you set on the Valveking? If for some reason you are looking for other options that might be able to nail most of your wish list then give us a budget, location and how important cleans are? And what cab you have now.

Edit again: The Sovtek LPS seems to be very popular in the phase inverter of this amp and lots of others. Why?
Hehe, you wrote a lot (or compiled a lot) of the VK MKII thread. JJ's can emphasize some of the mud in a VK from what I understand and have heard in my own amp. Then again I was trying to get VOX tones out of it, so I wanted bright. I thought the high-gain was okay though. JJ's are safe though I guess?

The Sovtek LPS is just often suggested so I pitch in as well when I can. I used it in both the VK and the VOX and it does feel nice, at least a bit of improvement from the stock tubes. Also the Tubes Thread Roc made suggested they are good for PI. Good to have spares available anyway.
Sweet, thanks for the info. Yeah, I'm not looking to retube for the different tones I'm looking for, but buying a used VK, I'm more than likely going to retube it just for longevity's sake, and I didn't know if there were certain types I should be looking for. I was actually wondering about Sovtek tubes, too. I'm a big fan of the Mig, so seeing anything Sovtek makes me optimistic, haha. I already have an overdrive in my chain, and I love the way they sound when they start pushing tubes. I've just been used to using this Solid State for so long, I'm actually excited about messing around with a tube amp.
Jackson King V
Peavey Valveking 100
Ampeg VH140C
MXR ZW-44 Overdrive
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Digitech JamMan Solo XT
Peavey Vypyr VIP 1
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Agreed.

V1 is very important.

I'm looking to spend maybe $300 max. I've found a couple used Peavey Windsors and Valvekings in that price range, and from the research I've done, both should work fine, but the Valveking seems a little more versatile for what I need it to do. The Windsor seems like a thinner toned JCM 900, where the VK seems to have a little more balls for when I need the higher gain metal tones, which is what my main band calls for. I plan on using this thing for playing anything from AC/DC and Rush to Morbid Angel and Obituary, haha. And also blues if I can get away with it.
Jackson King V
Peavey Valveking 100
Ampeg VH140C
MXR ZW-44 Overdrive
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Digitech JamMan Solo XT
Peavey Vypyr VIP 1
No short plate New Sensor tube can handle a cathode follower for long. So that's Russian Mullard, Svetlana, Tungsol or Sovtek. The Mullard seems to be the worst for it but keep all of them away from the tone stack.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Nolasludge
I'm looking to spend maybe $300 max. I've found a couple used Peavey Windsors and Valvekings in that price range, and from the research I've done, both should work fine, but the Valveking seems a little more versatile for what I need it to do. The Windsor seems like a thinner toned JCM 900, where the VK seems to have a little more balls for when I need the higher gain metal tones, which is what my main band calls for. I plan on using this thing for playing anything from AC/DC and Rush to Morbid Angel and Obituary, haha. And also blues if I can get away with it.
I think for around $300 a VK100w is about the best in that range. 311 might have something better though. What cab do you have to go with it/what cab are you planning on getting? And I myself would budget some extra cash in for new tubes as well, the ones you are getting are probably stock. Always good to have spares.

Also some more info on tubes: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=473149
Quote by Will Lane
I think for around $300 a VK100w is about the best in that range. 311 might have something better though. What cab do you have to go with it/what cab are you planning on getting? And I myself would budget some extra cash in for new tubes as well, the ones you are getting are probably stock. Always good to have spares.

Also some more info on tubes: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=473149

Right now I have a Blackstar HTV-412 with the stock Celestians, but eventually I will either replace the speakers with Vintage 30s or Greenbacks, or just buy a cabinet with them. Also, as soon as I replace the jack plate on my Marshall 1960 cab, I will be using that as well.
Jackson King V
Peavey Valveking 100
Ampeg VH140C
MXR ZW-44 Overdrive
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Digitech JamMan Solo XT
Peavey Vypyr VIP 1
If V2 in a Valveking is Cathode follower then yes, I would want to know that and edit the VK accordingly. I did not know that.

All I know is that the Cleans are based on Fender cleans and the OD is based on the Marshall tone stack.

The muddiness in the VK dissappears with the right speaker(s) and the right tubes. An OD pedal out front, an EQ pedal in the back and the dummy jack insert for input #1 seem to really help this amp. All of those tones can be had - but you have to work for it.

For $300 the VK head is a good deal. A used JSX, XXX, Ultra may be better though.

Nolasludge - what speaker cabinet/speakers do you plan to use?

Edit: OK - tnx for the info on the cab.

PS: I wouldn't worry about replacing the tubes right away. See what's what first and how the tone is through your cab and make adjustments from there.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Dec 21, 2015,
Backstar HTV cabs use Celestion Seventy/80 speakers. Not the best. Not the worst.

Putting expensive speakers in there will probably be more costly then just buying a new cab. I'd get your 1960A fixed and sell the Blackstar cab.
You're cutting Seventy 80's too much slack there, 311. They're terribad.

Yes, just fix the 1960 and sell the other stuff.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

High output and it seems to tame the fizzy sound that can come from a lot of amps power section.

Well that is my take on them. I did a test on a few of my amps and the Sovtek LPS sounded smoother than almost every other new production tube did in that position. They also work well in FX loop positions
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Nolasludge
It looks as though I will be purchasing a used Peavey Valveking I 100 watt head, as I am looking to expand my tone. I understand the basic nature of tube amps, and I'm pretty decent at dialing in tone. ...Now, finally here is my question. Do the type of tubes in an amp affect the tone? For example, if I am trying to get more low end, or more grit in my tone, will certain types of tubes make a difference?

I will tell you this - if you're at the point where you need to change the types of tubes to get the tone you need then you don't have the right amp.

Not all tube amps are created equal. If the amp doesn't sound great from the start it's the wrong amp.
Not always true. A 6505+ combo is SOOO much better with a speaker and tube upgrade. There are plenty of others too, like the Vietnamese Marshall DSL's.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by reverb66
I will tell you this - if you're at the point where you need to change the types of tubes to get the tone you need then you don't have the right amp.

Not all tube amps are created equal. If the amp doesn't sound great from the start it's the wrong amp.

no, not really
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Nolasludge
Do the type of tubes in an amp affect the tone? For example, if I am trying to get more low end, or more grit in my tone, will certain types of tubes make a difference?

Maybe. But minimally.
Other things will affect it more.
Quote by reverb66

It's not like I'm trying to change what a Valveking does, but like salt and pepper on a meal, different tubes might give it a little different flavor, which was basically all I was asking.
Jackson King V
Peavey Valveking 100
Ampeg VH140C
MXR ZW-44 Overdrive
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Digitech JamMan Solo XT
Peavey Vypyr VIP 1
Quote by Nolasludge
It's not like I'm trying to change what a Valveking does, but like salt and pepper on a meal, different tubes might give it a little different flavor, which was basically all I was asking.
In that case, yes. Light salt and pepper.