So a near by music store has these marked down to 50 percent off. I was originally going to buy the II, but the III has some extra cool features too.

What do you guys think of using a 100 watt amp for in house playing? Would it sound good only turned up halfway. Is it do-able. It has a master volume
The Mustangs are ok. At the very least they're good for a bit of fun. Having said that I wouldn't pay that much cash for a digital modeler. Their little 20 watt combos are kinda sweet at the price, but anything more than that and I would be looking at something else.

If your main purpose is to practice at home, you're far better off using something like the Positive Grid Bias software. Personally, sounds more natural and there's better flexibility in terms of the tweakability of the sounds.

If you're set on an amp, tell us your budget and the type of stuff you will be playing 99% of the time (because let's face it, that's what most of us do and when we say we play anything from jazz to doom sludge we know how to play a minor 7 chord but 99% of the time we're in drop Z). So I imagine if you're looking at the Mustang prices, you would be somewhere in the realm of Jet City or the second hand market.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
I've tried the II and actually liked it. It has everything that I'd need. But the III has a bit more. I'm in Australia our prices are nuts. They usually rrp for 900 and sell for 670~. 490 is a good deal IMO. So if they are capable for in-home use I may get one. Just wanted an opinion on 100 watts for a solidstate
Or.

OR!

You could listen to the advice and explore your options.

Or buy the overpriced modeler.

I don't really mind.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
I think you'd be quite pleased with the Mustang III and I don't think you'd have to worry about turning up the master to get the sound you want. That's the benefit of these modeling amps. The master volume is purely a master volume and doesn't have any direct effect on the tonality of the patch you're playing through. Quite honestly these are very loud amps and I doubt you'd want to turn this up to halfway. It would be pointless and probably harmful to your hearing.

Of course the presets that come stock with these units are mostly irrelevant. But you would have access to downloading presets via the Fender FUSE software. One of your countrymen has a very popular YouTube channel and is quite popular called "intheblues" with a significant library of great patches. Here's one of his many videos that captured some of his patches live at a jam night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAEEW1B5eAY
Last edited by dunedindragon at Dec 21, 2015,
Quote by dunedindragon
I think you'd be quite pleased with the Mustang III and I don't think you'd have to worry about turning up the master to get the sound you want. That's the benefit of these modeling amps. The master volume is purely a master volume and doesn't have any direct effect on the tonality of the patch you're playing through. Quite honestly these are very loud amps and I doubt you'd want to turn this up to halfway. It would be pointless and probably harmful to your hearing.

Of course the presets that come stock with these units are mostly irrelevant. But you would have access to downloading presets via the Fender FUSE software. One of your countrymen has a very popular YouTube channel and is quite popular called "intheblues" with a significant library of great patches. Here's one of his many videos that captured some of his patches live at a jam night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAEEW1B5eAY

I've never seen this one before
Thanks.
Quote by Eppicurt
Or.

OR!

You could listen to the advice and explore your options.

Or buy the overpriced modeler.

I don't really mind.

What else are my options?
Quote by Fenderinooo
What else are my options?

Less than 100 amps maybe.
If you are just playing at home and you are not either cathbard or me, you don't need 100 watts.
If I want quiet, I can play my 30 watt Vypyr.
If I want louder, I can play my Vox AC30, which volume wise, can blow most 100 watt tube amps into dust. And stay cleaner while doing it.

Vox VT is also a great choice IMO.
If metal is more your thing a Peavey Vypyr

With the Mustang, the Vox VT, and the Peavey Vypyr, kinda works like this (to some degree, but each is better in the respective areas I am about to tell you).

Mustang : Blues, Classic Rock, Some Hard Rock.
Vox VT : Blues, Classic Rock, Some Hard Rock, but can get a bit heavier than the Mustang (Zeppelin, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Motley Crue).
Peavey Vypyr : Blues (Think SRV when he gets some dirt going, and maybe some of Skynyrd's grittier tunes), Hard Rock, Metal that will wake the dead.

For the record, I've maybe spent 5 minutes playing a Mustang, but my sister owns a bar with live bands every now and then, and have seen a few guitarists with Mustangs. They weren't bad.
I have owned a Vox VT (had to sell for moving expenses ).
Currently own a Vypyr.

================================

Also, as a side note, a lot of people here and elsewhere don't often speak kindly of the Fender Frontman.
A couple of weeks a go, I saw a band at my sisters bar.
One guitarist had a PRS and A Fender Frontman.
The other guitarist had like 3 Strats (All single coil), a Mesa Boogie, not sure which model, but it looked a bit like the Mesa Nomad thats in my workshop right now (I do amp repairs now and then).

IMHO, the guy with the PRS and the Frontman sounded leagues better than the guy with the Mesa.
The guy with the Mesa I felt was actually a better player, but his tone sucked.
Either Mesa's (Or that particular Mesa) don't handle single coils well, or the guy couldn't EQ worth shit.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Dec 21, 2015,
Quote by CodeMonk
Less than 100 amps maybe.
If you are just playing at home and you are not either cathbard or me, you don't need 100 watts.
If I want quiet, I can play my 30 watt Vypyr.
If I want louder, I can play my Vox AC30, which volume wise, can blow most 100 watt tube amps into dust. And stay cleaner while doing it.

Vox VT is also a great choice IMO.
If metal is more your thing a Peavey Vypyr

With the Mustang, the Vox VT, and the Peavey Vypyr, kinda works like this (to some degree, but each is better in the respective areas I am about to tell you).

Mustang : Blues, Classic Rock, Some Hard Rock.
Vox VT : Blues, Classic Rock, Some Hard Rock, but can get a bit heavier than the Mustang (Zeppelin, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Motley Crue).
Peavey Vypyr : Blues (Think SRV when he gets some dirt going, and maybe some of Skynyrd's grittier tunes), Hard Rock, Metal that will wake the dead.

For the record, I've maybe spent 5 minutes playing a Mustang, but my sister owns a bar with live bands every now and then, and have seen a few guitarists with Mustangs. They weren't bad.
I have owned a Vox VT (had to sell for moving expenses ).
Currently own a Vypyr.

================================

Also, as a side note, a lot of people here and elsewhere don't often speak kindly of the Fender Frontman.
A couple of weeks a go, I saw a band at my sisters bar.
One guitarist had a PRS and A Fender Frontman.
The other guitarist had like 3 Strats (All single coil), a Mesa Boogie, not sure which model, but it looked a bit like the Mesa Nomad thats in my workshop right now (I do amp repairs now and then).

IMHO, the guy with the PRS and the Frontman sounded leagues better than the guy with the Mesa.
The guy with the Mesa I felt was actually a better player, but his tone sucked.
Either Mesa's (Or that particular Mesa) don't handle single coils well, or the guy couldn't EQ worth shit.

The mustang range really appeals to me. Play alternative 90s, punk and dabble in 60s/70s Rock.

I was just curious as to whether a 100 watt solid amp can be played at bedroom volume without losing any of its sound qualities
Quote by Fenderinooo
So a near by music store has these marked down to 50 percent off. I was originally going to buy the II, but the III has some extra cool features too.

What do you guys think of using a 100 watt amp for in house playing? Would it sound good only turned up halfway. Is it do-able. It has a master volume

I bought the Mustang II (v2) for my first amp. I can't say that I have a terrific ear for tonality but I have many blues/jazz/rock presets saved that I truly enjoy playing around in. I have a gibson special sg (p90s) and an ibanez jazz box and I can find endless combinations of presets/settings that sound great through both.

The II is the 40w option I believe, and as someone mentioned earlier - the master volume will control the overall volume of the tonality that you have dialled into. Being a digital amp, I don't see much difference in the tonality of the preset when adjusting this master volume.
That being said, the 40w amp is quite loud for a practice/home setting. The master volume can be cranked to 10, but I rarely pass 4-5 due to the sheer volume that the amp produces. But I can still hear the subtleties of the overall tone when dialled in at 2-3 (where I commonly am).

One other cool feature to note about the Mustangs is the software that is also available. It allows you to access the Fender Fuse community, where people have put together thousands of available presets that you can download and store onto your Mustang for future use. I've gone through and poached some Jimi, SRV, Joe Pass, and Santana-style sounds that I really enjoy and saved those into my amp to play around with.

It would probably be important to keep in mind that I've only been playing for just over two years now and I only have some much experience. But at $200 cdn I think I'm still pretty happy with the decision I made with the Mustang II.

Shoot me a pm or something if you have any questions!

Tom
Quote by Fenderinooo
The mustang range really appeals to me. Play alternative 90s, punk and dabble in 60s/70s Rock.

I was just curious as to whether a 100 watt solid amp can be played at bedroom volume without losing any of its sound qualities

Well looks like you're going to buy the Mustang despite suggestions.

And yes, you can use 100 watt solid state at bedroom volumes just fine.

Have fun.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
Quote by Eppicurt
Well looks like you're going to buy the Mustang despite suggestions.

Despite YOUR suggestions you mean???
No. Did you not see CodeMonk jumped in? We both gave suggestions.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
100 watts solid state at bedroom levels.
Go for it.
But even though you are set on that 100 watts, keep in mind things like your neighbors, whether you are in a house or an apartment.
Get too aggressive, you may be looking for new living accommodations.
100 watts at a normal persons bedroom levels would be deafening and have the cops showing up at your door.
Guys like cathbard and I can get away with that because for one, his neighbors don't care, and I don't really have any neighbors.
So 100 watts TUBE (or 30 watts in my case, which as I said before, can turn most 100 watt tube amps into dust) cranked is just fine for us.

But hey, go for what you want.

OH, AND READ MY SIG. I STICK TO IT.

Edit:
Quote by Fenderinooo

I don't do punk, (well once it a very very rare while, like The Ramones or something now and then), but I do a little Alternative, and I WAY MORE than dabble in 60s/70s rock, With a Vox VT. Well, when I had it.
The AC30 does all of that better anyway, but thats like 4x your budget easy.
And I'm happy with it.

And I say this with all honesty, I truly hope you are happy with your choice.

But again....
READ MY SIG.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Dec 21, 2015,
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
mustangs are mediocre.

for the 100watt, its an over glorified, big and loud modeling amp.

you can do better.

if you don't have an ear for tone, don't say anything.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by CodeMonk
100 watts solid state at bedroom levels.
Go for it.
But even though you are set on that 100 watts, keep in mind things like your neighbors, whether you are in a house or an apartment.
Get too aggressive, you may be looking for new living accommodations.
100 watts at a normal persons bedroom levels would be deafening and have the cops showing up at your door.
Guys like cathbard and I can get away with that because for one, his neighbors don't care, and I don't really have any neighbors.
So 100 watts TUBE (or 30 watts in my case, which as I said before, can turn most 100 watt tube amps into dust) cranked is just fine for us.

But hey, go for what you want.

OH, AND READ MY SIG. I STICK TO IT.

Edit:

I don't do punk, (well once it a very very rare while, like The Ramones or something now and then), but I do a little Alternative, and I WAY MORE than dabble in 60s/70s rock, With a Vox VT. Well, when I had it.
The AC30 does all of that better anyway, but thats like 4x your budget easy.
And I'm happy with it.

And I say this with all honesty, I truly hope you are happy with your choice.

But again....
READ MY SIG.

Thanks for the help!

This is my playing area. If it helps to see.

http://i1241.photobucket.com/albums/gg506/sjosan/ED81AAEC-3A87-4BAD-B9CF-7F922EF20C22.jpg

Ps: yes I'm currently setting up my Christmas tree lol
Quote by Fenderinooo
It will sound fine at bedroom volumes. I am not advocating the Mustang or anything else though.
Last edited by Will Lane at Dec 22, 2015,
Not that crazy about the Mustangs but I don't have it with a passion as I do the Line6 Spiders. 100 watt will be OK for bedroom levels. I prefer Vox VT modeling, so maybe have a look at these:

http://www.guitarfactory.net/products/vox-valvetronix-vt20.html

http://www.guitarfactory.net/products/vox-valvetronix-vt40.html

http://www.guitarfactory.net/products/vox-valvetronix-vt80.html
I've never played one turned up (the real test), so I can't comment on gig worthy tone. I can say that the Mustangs I've played have been perfectly acceptable for bedroom playing, when played low. My GAS list includes a Morgan SW22R, Vox AC30, Friedman BE100, and Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster, and I can say that I would happily play a Mustang III or worse in my bedroom, provided I'm playing no louder than television volume. The only thing that I can say is that the TS wouldn't need the Mustang III for purely bedroom playing. It would be overkill, and disheartening to find that the louder volume levels it produces are less than satisfactory for loud gigging (even if Shane sounded passable in that jam session video clip). I would look for something smaller, and definitely better quality of gigs or loud jam sessions were on future agendas.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
Mustang will sound fine at levels that won't piss off the neighbors. now you won't be turning it up half way as that will be pretty loud. you may not get past 1.5-2 on the volume but again that will be fine. i use a 50 watt (and sometimes 60) tube amp for practice and haven't got evicted. i do miss living at the farm where i could turn it up to 10 if i wanted and not worry about it.
The reason I'm going for the III instead of II is because it's been marked down to half price. Otherwise I'd get a II. The III has some cool feature ma that the other one doesn't, too
Quote by Fenderinooo
Thanks for the help!

This is my playing area. If it helps to see.

http://i1241.photobucket.com/albums/gg506/sjosan/ED81AAEC-3A87-4BAD-B9CF-7F922EF20C22.jpg

Ps: yes I'm currently setting up my Christmas tree lol

Can I move in?
Quote by CodeMonk
Can I move in?

Sure. If you don't mind living on one of Sydney's crappiest towns, haha!
I play a Mustang III at my school. It's an okay amp, it's fun for just messing around, but the problem I ran into was that it sounded decent at practice volumes but as soon as we played shows and had to crank it up it got real bright. And not in a good way. We ended up angling it into my chair, and even then if you weren't on stage it was still pretty bright. If you're looking for a fun amp to play around with at home then buy it, but if you're looking for a gigging amp I don't recommend.
Quote by Fenderinooo
Sure. If you don't mind living on one of Sydney's crappiest towns, haha!

Seriously.
Google Map
Stagecoach, Nevada USA
I'm about a mile from the marker.

Seriously, do it.

The only real advantage to living here is that I can crank my amp to ten pretty much whenever I want.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Dec 25, 2015,