Hey,

I write the songs and perform guitars/vocals in Soliloquium, a melodic death/doom metal band. Our influences started out being the usual doom suspects like Katatonia, Anathema and Paradise Lost but our sound is branching out more and more into both soft and extreme territory.

I believe in releasing the music for free so all our recordings are available for free at http://soliloquium.bandcamp.com

If someone prefers Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/deathdoom

or YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmwzjQdsyKg

If you enjoy it, make sure to spread it around. Not easy promoting an underground band in a rather minimal, inbred genre
I only listened to "Crossroads" so here are some thoughts on that.

Guitar work all around was solid. Good lead playing and good tone for this style. There were a couple of sort of faster, palm muted riffs maybe 4 or 5 minutes in that sounded a little out of place. The solo was decent, but I thought it was too safe and you would have benefited from going a little bigger with it, really make it sound like you mean it.

Your vocals were very solid. A good mix of lower growls and higher screams. Mixing it up for contrast is essential. I feel like more clean vocals would have been good as well, but I do also feel that the clean vocals were not particularly good. Obviously clean vocals are very important to this style, so that's definitely a good place to focus on improving.

The drums I felt were kind of awkward in the mix. The cymbals sounded a bit too far back while the snare and kick were a little bit too far fowards. The drumming was pretty solid otherwise. Again, the contrast is essential. The double bass was used effectively without over staying its welcome. A couple of drum patterns were iffy, but nothing was particularly bad.

Was there even a bass guitar? I can't really recall noticing it now that I think about it. If there is, it really needs to be turned up, since driving low end is essential for this kind of doom. You can certainly get away without bass guitar in funeral doom, but death/doom tends to not be as slow and so you need muscle in the low end to push the track along.

Overall though very solid. Reminds me a lot of a band I used to play keys in. I'll have to take a listen through some of the other tracks when I get a chance.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
I only listened to "Crossroads" so here are some thoughts on that.

Guitar work all around was solid. Good lead playing and good tone for this style. There were a couple of sort of faster, palm muted riffs maybe 4 or 5 minutes in that sounded a little out of place. The solo was decent, but I thought it was too safe and you would have benefited from going a little bigger with it, really make it sound like you mean it.

Your vocals were very solid. A good mix of lower growls and higher screams. Mixing it up for contrast is essential. I feel like more clean vocals would have been good as well, but I do also feel that the clean vocals were not particularly good. Obviously clean vocals are very important to this style, so that's definitely a good place to focus on improving.

The drums I felt were kind of awkward in the mix. The cymbals sounded a bit too far back while the snare and kick were a little bit too far fowards. The drumming was pretty solid otherwise. Again, the contrast is essential. The double bass was used effectively without over staying its welcome. A couple of drum patterns were iffy, but nothing was particularly bad.

Was there even a bass guitar? I can't really recall noticing it now that I think about it. If there is, it really needs to be turned up, since driving low end is essential for this kind of doom. You can certainly get away without bass guitar in funeral doom, but death/doom tends to not be as slow and so you need muscle in the low end to push the track along.

Overall though very solid. Reminds me a lot of a band I used to play keys in. I'll have to take a listen through some of the other tracks when I get a chance.

Thanks for listening!

It's especially interesting how you felt the drum mix was weird, since the drummer is actually the one responsible for their placement in the mix. He is educated in audio mixing, but I'm unsure about his actual "feel" for mixing the music, which I'd say is equally important. Constantly working on my clean vocals, but I'm unsure if I'll ever gain confidence and melody ear to push them further than using them as a tool for loud/quiet dynamics

The bass thing is a good point, and I believe we fixed that in the EP that followed this one. I just didn't post from that one since it's two cover songs and one acoustic. "Crossroads" is the song I chose as a single preview until the album(s) are done

Once again, thanks for the analysis! I mostly hear death/doom fanatics dissect Soliloquium, not people with this deeper musical focus
Soliloquium's full length debut "An Empty Frame" will be on October 21 on Transcending Records.

Lyric video preview:

Tracklist:
Eye of the Storm
Earthly Confine
The Sorrow Path
With or Without
The Observer
Procession
Fear Not

Line-up on the release:
Stefan Nordström - Vocals/Guitars (Desolator, Ending Quest)
Jonas Bergkvist - Bass (Desolator, Ending Quest, Wolfcross)
Mortuz - Drums (Eufori, Mist of Misery)
Mike Watts - Electronics (Sleepwalkers)

Mixed and mastered by Mike Watts.
Cover art by Ollie Assault (Deamon Design).