Page 1 of 2
How about a chance to dust off your old axe or amp for a quick photoshoot and share your oldest bit of gear.

Mine would be my 1964 Fender Bandmaster amp which I have had for over 40 years. It spent over 20 something years in the shed until recently. Had the old death transformer in it, but thankfully a mate changed it out for a safe one last year when I set about restoring it.

Thats what it looked like before the restoration

THis is what it looks like now.

I cut a bit of the original tolex off the inside flap from the speaker cab and managed to stick it on. Not the best but certainly a better look than before.

Looks and sounds great now.

Old Guitar Dad
Never too old to learn
Never too old to rock
My You Tube Channel: Old Guitar Dad
I'm not sure how old my first guitar is, but it was owned by my dad's friend and he's had it since before I started playing.

Oldest one I bought personally is probably my Ibanez from 2000.

Oldest one in the household is probably the one given to my dad from my mom's brother before he passed away. It could use some fixing, but it's really nice.

No old amps though.
There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Quote by Old Guitar Dad
How about a chance to dust off your old axe or amp for a quick photoshoot and share your oldest bit of gear.

Whatever you're into.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
70s silverface vibrochamp. A bit rusted on top but still plays really well. Doesn't leave the house anymore because it seems to be a ding magnet.

The tremolo is really rich and satisfying.

I've got an old Japanese Kawai guitar that I reckon to be made some time between 1961 and 1964. Other than that I've got a CSL Les Paul that must be from the early 70s and one of the first Boss PH-1s off the line in 1977.
1973 Marshall Super Lead 100 Head. Aside from some graffiti on the carrying handle and the 'M' on the Marshall logo being missing, it's in great shape.
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie
i feel like you have an obsession with aubrey plaza.

Quote by WCPhils
at least we can all agree SGstriker is the woooooooooooooooooooooorst
guitar - '73 Ibanez Concord 12 string lawsuit era Gibson Hummingbird 12 knock-off
amp - 1987 Gorilla GG20, acquired last Tuesday

I do have a custom made Scandalli piano accordion made in 1955 as my oldest instrument in general
Last edited by Pastafarian96 at Dec 21, 2015,
My Dean Razorback, I've had it for around 7 or 8 years now, Its from the 2005 Razorbacks. The first lot to get manufactured. Absolutely love it.
SANDBLAST YOURSELF.

Quote by i_lovemetallica
If you think Gollum was sober with his whole "Gollum/Smeagol" thing and thinking he was invisible with the ring, then you need to remove the cotton wool from your eyes.

Wake up sheeple.

Sunaj
Actually on second thought, yeah, I think my Quest: Black Magic bass is the oldest. Dad bought it from the pawn and he never used it so I bought it from him.

Best info I could find says it's a bass from the 80's and was made in Japan.

(mind the ghetto AC. Hard times and blah blah blah I have a new one now)
There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Last edited by Joshua Garcia at Dec 21, 2015,
A hummingbird copycat from the sears catalog circa 1978. I love that piece of shit. It's what I learned on
Originally posted by Joshua Garcia
I just come here to dick around.
And maybe occasionally wave my dick around.

My D is major
1949 Kiesel tube amp (pre Carvin).
1955 Les Paul Jr.

(Invalid img)
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Dec 21, 2015,
Recently got a 1998 Taiwanese Squier. Or at least the neck. Not sure if the body actually matches. Also used to borrow an early 80s Ibanez ST105 from my brother. That thing had some dirty pickups, dude.
"Most people work just hard enough not to get fired and get paid just enough not to quit." - George Carlin
Oldest amp i own would be a 1966 Fender princeton. I got it from a church that was moving and cleaning out the basement. I wven have the original purchase receipt. I paid 100 dollars and helped them move some seating for it.

Oldest guitar i own would have to be a 1966 hagstrom viking...also obtained from the church. Bought at the same time as the amplifier on the same receipt. I paid 500 for the guitar and as above helped move....seating/organ...etc..
i can't really compete here, i have a small kustom practice amp that is probably from the 90s. it is awful. my brother got it for me from the thrift store and someone had tried to extend from the internal speaker (like, a 4''?) to another speaker and i guess gave up midway through, all that was left were the speaker leads. not worth a picature tho.
Last edited by Will Lane at Dec 21, 2015,
1960's Framus Hollywood that I had rebuilt in 2008 because by the time I got this guitar in 2000... A lot of the original spec had gone, and it was old, shakey, and as good as firewood.

This is it now/after I had it rebuilt.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a961gQUUr1k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1uaqlQCiSM
Quote by laid-to-waste
look nigga, if you're chillin with 5 bros and 2 hos, you're gonna wanna pay attention to all of em equally. not moon over the hos forever and laugh at every shitty thing they say and just stare at them all night, like some of my mates do.
Last edited by treborillusion at Dec 21, 2015,
Probably an 81 Dean Z Standard.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
A 1980 Fender 75 amp. Big tube honker with a single 15" speaker. Good for post-punk jamz.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
My oldest guitar is a 1956 Gibson ES-275. The oldest guitar that I personally bought is my Ibanez 1976 Les Paul copy (not lawsuit era). The oldest amp I own is a Traynor YBA-1A tube amp. and cabinet.
Attachments:
Gibson 225.jpg
iIanez lp 1976.jpg
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Dec 21, 2015,
Quote by Dimarzio45
My '65 Gibson SG

Are you 100% sure that's a '65? The neck joint looks like later one.

I'm not too versed in SGs though.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Last edited by H4T3BR33D3R at Dec 21, 2015,
You could be right. Not really sure, it used to be my dad's and he's not around to correct me on that.
Quote by Dimarzio45
You could be right. Not really sure, it used to be my dad's and he's not around to correct me on that.

To be honest with you, from the knobs, neck joint etc.... It looks more like a 67-69 if it's all original.

In 65, they were transitioning from the old style, small neck joint to the one you see on your guitar IIRC.

The witchhat knobs also weren't on Gibbies until about 67 as well I'm pretty sure.

Serial no, pot codes and pickups could date it probs.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
To be honest with you, from the knobs, neck joint etc.... It looks more like a 67-69 if it's all original.

In 65, they were transitioning from the old style, small neck joint to the one you see on your guitar IIRC.

The witchhat knobs also weren't on Gibbies until about 67 as well I'm pretty sure.

Serial no, pot codes and pickups could date it probs.

Yeah, I'm trying to get some info on it based on the serial number but, that's turning out to be a bit inconclusive and vague at best since Gibson has switched up their serial number configurations three or 4 times over the years. I'm pretty sure it's a '68 now that I really think about it.
Quote by Dimarzio45
Yeah, I'm trying to get some info on it based on the serial number but, that's turning out to be a bit inconclusive and vague at best since Gibson has switched up their serial number configurations three or 4 times over the years. I'm pretty sure it's a '68 now that I really think about it.

Well, as far as you know, are your pots and pickups original? Do you have metal shielding in the cavities/bigger sized ones? Those are also a good way of at least getting a general idea of the year of manufacture.

I mean, it very well could be a 65. There have been some weird ones during the years.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Everything's original. As far as the metal shielding goes, I can't really tell. I'm going to send some emails to people who are really well versed on Gibson serial numbers and see what they say.
Quote by Dimarzio45
Everything's original. As far as the metal shielding goes, I can't really tell. I'm going to send some emails to people who are really well versed on Gibson serial numbers and see what they say.

Not just serial numbers. They can be a hassle to discern alone.

Take a picture of the pots (with clearly visible pot codes), behind the pups (to verify if they are PAF or PAT no. etc...), cavity, headstock and hardware (to make sure if it's chrome or nickel plated). Even tuners and plastic pieces can help with dating if the guitar is stock.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Not just serial numbers. They can be a hassle to discern alone.

Take a picture of the pots (with clearly visible pot codes), behind the pups (to verify if they are PAF or PAT no. etc...), cavity, headstock and hardware (to make sure if it's chrome or nickel plated). Even tuners and plastic pieces can help with dating if the guitar is stock.

Ahhh, good point. That'll help. Thanks for the help!
Quote by Dimarzio45
Ahhh, good point. That'll help. Thanks for the help!

No problem. I mean im not an expert but vintage guitars are a bit of a hobby of mine so I try to help when I can
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
My oldest is probably my Traynor YCV40WR. Not sure what year it's from but it's made to look vintage. I think they discontinued them in the early 2000's or something.
Quote by MeGaDeth2314
My oldest is probably my Traynor YCV40WR. Not sure what year it's from but it's made to look vintage. I think they discontinued them in the early 2000's or something.

They still make them.

Great amp though.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
sold off my vintage stuff a few years back. currently my oldest guitar is an 89 Strat Plus Deluxe, so not that old. oldest amp is my late 70s Legend Rock and Roll 50 2x12 (needs a little work so not in use right now) . Legend was one of the first boutique amp makers and are featured on ZZ Top's Elimanator album (pic in profile it's the amp my strats are in front off. 3/4 in oak cab makes it heavier than hell. oldest fx pedal is my DOD FX 65 chorus that i bought in the mid 80s. still in great shape and still works fine. i had a bunch of vintage pedals but sold them off just befire the vintage market took a dive.
This is my oldest guitar. A Japanese Ibanez 1910 from circa 1968

It's missing the pick guard, which I took off for some reason 30 plus years ago, I think its still in the shed somewhere. Its subsequently has had work done it to get a much better action. It has a floating bridge so we shaved a bit off that to get it playable.
Old Guitar Dad
Never too old to learn
Never too old to rock
My You Tube Channel: Old Guitar Dad
Page 1 of 2