Hello everyone, I've been told once that an electric guitar is made for 0.09 strings as default, and that bigger strings require a certain set-up, else the guitar will be damaged.
I've always wanted to get 0.10\0.11 strings but was afraid to ruin the neck.
Is it true, or can I finally use some heavy strings without a special set-up?
No, it's not true. Somebody gave you some incorrect information. You can change the strings on any guitar but it may require a little extra set up or tweaking because the action, the neck relief and the spacing on the nut (and possibly the bridge) may have been set up for the .09 gauge. It has nothing to do with how the guitar was made, it has to do with how it was set up after it was made. We are talking minor adjustments. Some music stores take guitars that are shipped with .10 gauge strings and put on .09 gauge strings because it seems easier to play to some customers. You won't damage anything by changing the string gauge from .09 to 10 or 11. Put on some 10 gauge strings and if you get some buzzing or fretting out dead notes you may need some slight adjustment. If not you are good to go.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Dec 21, 2015,
What?

If you want to play in the same tuning, a truss rod adjustment would be necessary.
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
Quote by aviv089
Hello everyone, I've been told once that an electric guitar is made for 0.09 strings as default, and that bigger strings require a certain set-up, else the guitar will be damaged.
I've always wanted to get 0.10\0.11 strings but was afraid to ruin the neck.
Is it true, or can I finally use some heavy strings without a special set-up?

Get your guitar setup by a tech when changing gauges if you don't know what you're doing. Once the the guitar has been setup for the gauge, you can simply change the strings yourself without issue, but don't change gauges without a setup.
Most likely you'll need to adjust the action, intonation, and maybe the truss rod (especially if it's a big difference between the gauges or you have a mahogany neck). At most, especially on cheaper guitars, you may need to enlarge the nut slots to keep the string moving freely to avoid tuning hangups.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Quote by Fryderyczek
What?

If you want to play in the same tuning, a truss rod adjustment would be necessary.

Even for a 09-46 pack?
Quote by aviv089
Even for a 09-46 pack?

If you want to change from 9-42 to 9-46 I guess not. You posted to 10/11's then yes you would need to adjust it
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
Quote by Fryderyczek
If you want to change from 9-42 to 9-46 I guess not. You posted to 10/11's then yes you would need to adjust it

Thanks, I hope it's not a problem at all even if I keep it for a long time...
Quote by aviv089
Even for a 09-46 pack?

Truss rod will be fine, but you may need to adjust the intonation. And maybe the action a bit on the lower strings, but about the action, ymmv obviously.

And guitars aren't made for a certain string gauge. You can put any gauge on it, as long as you do a proper setup. No worries, you just have to know what you're doing. You can find a nice guide on guitar setup on the Electric Guitar forum.
Last edited by DanyFS at Dec 21, 2015,