I recently was given a Jim Dunlop big stubby guitar pick by my guitar teacher. It's a 2mm thick pick, and i love how the thickness of the pick carves through strings when speed picking. Itd be a perfect pick for me, if it wasn't for how slippery it is. Whenever I play with this pick, it easily slides out of position, causing obvious problems mid-solo.
What's your experience with these guitar picks? Should I consider that the fact it's slipping is a sign I'm not holding the pick tight enough? I really want to be able to control this pick, and if it boils down to just not gripping the pick tight enough, I'll know what i need to work on.

Thanks in advance for any advice
I hate em. but preference. You can always take a finger nail file to it. you shouldn't grip the pick tightly, should just be relaxed. You want to use the least amount of tension possible while still keeping it in place but if you are tensed up it will cause problems.

I feel like there are enough options in the world of guitar picks it's better to explore alternatives than modify every guitar pick you buy but if you are really set on them just file along the pick where you grip.
Dunlop Jazz III Max Grip http://www.amazon.com/Dunlop-471P3C-Carbon-Guitar-6-Pack/dp/B00JYG7LIU

Only 1.38mm, but they don't bend at all and have excellent grip. They have a very bright, sharp attack sound, which is usual for any stiff pick, but these are a little extra snappy. The jazz style picks are smaller than your average pick which can be weird if you've never used one, but once you get used to them normal sized picks feel bulky and awkward.

With harder picks the angle is much more important. Angle the pick so that it's not hitting the string with the flat side, more like sliding across at something around a 45 degree angle (maybe not quite that much, experiment). Also, hold the pick very close to the tip so that there's only an 1/8 of an inch or so (maybe 3 to 5 mm) sticking out past your thumb, this is part of why the smaller jazz type picks can be more comfortable. They force you to not leave very much sticking out.

You shouldn't have to grip the pick super tight. As Blicer said, you should be as relaxed as possible. It comes down more to how you hold it than how tight you're gripping it. For me the pick is pretty close to perpendicular with my thumb, with the side of the middle section of my index finger pressed against the back, curled so that the fingernail edge of the tip of my finger is lined up with the edge of my thumb.

Of course some picks are just really hard to keep a hold of even if you have good technique. I've played with a few picks that it just didn't matter how I held it, they would slowly walk out of my fingers. In fact, now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure I've played with a dunlop stubby before and I kept having to constantly readjust because it was kinda rounded and slick.
I like the 3mm stubby---yes they are slippery
I'm not a yngwie or anything but I take and melt an x on both side an no longer slips
Thanks for the advice guys ill keep experimenting with my grip and maybe look at a few other thick but easy-to-grip picks.
Ive got a Jazz iii at home too, but i find the size of the pick to be just as much of an issue. If i coild get the size of the stubby, but the shape of the jazz iii, thatd be ideal
try these, they are hard and grippy as fuck

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Jim-Dunlop-427PXL-Ultex-Guitar/dp/B00ISQCHF4/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1450884586&sr=8-10&keywords=jazz+3+pick

just they dont have a fine tip like the black jazz 3s

i will try the ones you linked The4thHorsemen, if they are the same as these below, but with more grip, then they will be perfect http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dunlop-Ultex-Picks-427P2-2-0mm/dp/B0050AGZBI/ref=pd_sim_sbs_267_3?ie=UTF8&dpID=41ukZdsMtsL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=11TBGGYQ6J4TXT2BBKZ9
Yea, they're exactly the same shape as all the other jazz 3s, they just have the best grip out of any pick I've ever tried. I think other than the grip the only difference is they're made of carbon fiber, and they're 1.38 mm instead of 2. I don't know if they come in different thicknesses, but I don't think that really matters.
the yellow super thick ones i listed say 1.38mm (on amazon) and feel like 4x as thick as my black jazz 3s so i wonder if that lends to much
look forward to trying your version out
Ah, I have no idea how I missed that first link, I just clicked on the second one for some reason and that's what I was referring to.

I used the yellow looking ultex jazz 3s for a while, but just the regular sized ones, not the XLs. I lost all of them pretty quickly because that clearish yellow color is pretty hard to see on a brown carpet.
Quote by dragozan
I recently was given a Jim Dunlop big stubby guitar pick by my guitar teacher. It's a 2mm thick pick, and i love how the thickness of the pick carves through strings when speed picking. Itd be a perfect pick for me, if it wasn't for how slippery it is. Whenever I play with this pick, it easily slides out of position, causing obvious problems mid-solo.
What's your experience with these guitar picks? Should I consider that the fact it's slipping is a sign I'm not holding the pick tight enough? I really want to be able to control this pick, and if it boils down to just not gripping the pick tight enough, I'll know what i need to work on.

Thanks in advance for any advice

Have you tried the Bass sized stubbies? They have a big grip section which makes them much easier to hold than the small guitar ones-once you get used to the size they're fantastic.
The Jazz III picks are good at staying put. There are also Dunlop Tortex picks that are about the same size but have a grippy texture.

You should choose your pick based on what kind of playing you do. Small picks are ideal for lead and tight rhythm playing, and big floppy picks are for strumming/acoustic.