A guitar has active pickups(not very good ones) and I want to only put 1 emg 81 in at the moment, no 85. Ive read a couple of things saying that I need to replace the tone and volume knobs with 25k ones since they have 500/250k ones that are designed for passive ones? I dont know what this means and I was wondering if this whole pickup swap would be possible and what these knob things are.

Many thanks
I've seen counterfeit gibson les paul customs like the zakk wylde one with knock off actives that had 500k pots, the system was pretty similar to the solderless system Gibson has on their guitars.

My advice; switch the volume to a 25k , 100k maximum. I forget exactly why as it isn't brightness or darkness so feel free to leave a reply for those who know.

tone pots can be anything 10k , 25k , 2000k , it's sensitivity or a longer distance between 0% and 100% , capacitor value it's up to you 0.047 people tend to go to today but years ago it used to be 0.1uf (Twice the treble cut)

my advice get the EMG X series, I despise the regular 81 since using the X series, the X has more headroom , less compression and all in all it's a more versatile 81 than what everyone seems to think they need or drool over for their first upgrade. Or perhaps the Seymour Duncan Blackout metal , if you got a tone pot you're never going to use , the metal has a boost in it you can re-wire a tone pot to be so it can get a little more intense if you need it.

for brownie points the blackout AHB-1 or metal is hotter , the 81 vs 85 , believe it or not the 85 is hotter and more well rounded, i didnt like it in the bridge honestly but some guys like Andy James loved it in there before the 57/66 set
Thanks tallwood13, and explorer builder its a Harley Benton EX-84 copy (tight budget and I wanted a white explorer).
Um.....the higher the output the "darker" sound produced....this is why most recommend using 1meg pots with EMGs. Just my 2cents
Quote by Dick Savage
Um.....the higher the output the "darker" sound produced....this is why most recommend using 1meg pots with EMGs. Just my 2cents

That is completely incorrect. The higher the value of a pot the BRIGHTER it is, not darker. And nobody on the planet ever says to use 1 meg pots for EMGs. I dont know where you are hearing that.
And if you use a 1 meg pot for a volume on an EMG, you will have no taper at all. It will basically be an on off switch.
Quote by Explorerbuilder
That is completely incorrect. The higher the value of a pot the BRIGHTER it is, not darker. And nobody on the planet ever says to use 1 meg pots for EMGs. I dont know where you are hearing that.
And if you use a 1 meg pot for a volume on an EMG, you will have no taper at all. It will basically be an on off switch.

I may have mispoke. I was talkimg about the pickup itself being of higher output (so there for its naturally darker) so going with a higher value pot would help brighten it up.

And yes i was completely wrong about the 1meg...idk wjy i said that. Thinking about piezo's or something maybe lol.
actives don't follow this guideline of the greater valued pots though as most of the magic happening is in the preamp inside the pickup, it's something to do with volume control, i forget exactly what like a 500k doesn't react properly with actives and doesnt provide volume control it turns into pretty much an on / off switch.. im babbling at this point but the seymour duncan or maybe the les paul forum touched on this doing a google search when i was like 16.

passives though yes anything greater than 500k will indeed brighten the sound with humbuckers

anything above 250k will brighten single coils

brownie points time .. yay ..
you can turn down a passive guitars volume with the volume knob and get the same dark tones of say 250k and so with a 500k humbucker at approximately 5 (on a linear pot), on an A500k pot (lets say) i forget exactly but all we need to know is the lower the volume the darker.
Last edited by Tallwood13 at Dec 23, 2015,