Hey Guys

So initially I had my heart set on a SE Standard 24, however due to not intending to use the tremelo and soley playing it in dropped tuning (Db), I was looking for ways to block the tremelo. I just noticed that the Standard 22 has a stop tail bridge and this is perfect for me (as I have no use for a tremelo really), however I have heard they are not ideal for dropped tuning and are not as solid as the 24? Is that true? I'd rather go through the hassle of blocking the tremelo and having a more solid and better sounding guitar in dropped tunings than a stop tail which doesn't sound as good...any advice?

Thanks
I'm not saying not to trust the internet, but there's an alarming discrepancy between the number of iPads I've won & the number of iPads I own.
I've played both. I'm not a tremelo man myself, and I think the 22 does just fine. I would use a set of medium bottom heavy strings on it, but that's just me.
Originally posted by Joshua Garcia
I just come here to dick around.
And maybe occasionally wave my dick around.

My D is major
I prefer the 22 fret SE. YMMV
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
do you need a trem or the extra 2 frets?

The pickups are also hotter in the 24 fret versions
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
If the scale length is the same then both will behave similarly when dropping the pitch.
Moving on.....
Quote by Robbgnarly
do you need a trem or the extra 2 frets?

The pickups are also hotter in the 24 fret versions

Yeah that's it, I really wouldn't need the trem or extra frets...however the 24 has a split coil function and different pick ups so if it does sound better I would rather get that
I'm not saying not to trust the internet, but there's an alarming discrepancy between the number of iPads I've won & the number of iPads I own.
There isn't going to be a problem either way. Get the guitar you like.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
I see no reason not to get the 24 fret version in your case. Even if you just remove the arm and never touch the last 2 frets... atleast you have the option for down the road and if you prefer the sound there is really no reason not to get that version.

I am unsure why so many people have such an aversion to the floyd.
Blicer - I too would go with the floyd version persionally. However, he argument against it is ease of set up, and reliability for stage use. String changes are also easier on non-floating tems. As such there are people preferring the other.

All that said, I have 3 guitars right now, a strat, an ibanez with floating trem, and a les paul. The les paul is definitely the least exciting to play, with no trem and poor upper fret access.
We're just a battery for hire with the guitar fire
Ready and aimed at you
Pick up your balls and load up your cannon
For a twenty one gun salute
For those about to rock, FIRE!
We salute you
Quote by Blicer
I see no reason not to get the 24 fret version in your case. Even if you just remove the arm and never touch the last 2 frets... atleast you have the option for down the road and if you prefer the sound there is really no reason not to get that version.

I am unsure why so many people have such an aversion to the floyd.

because unless you really need a FR trem, there is absolutely no reason to buy a guitar equipped with one, especially cheap Fr trems.

^But if you actually read the thread, no one but you is talking about a FR trem
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Dec 23, 2015,