Who does not have an hour long practice time for guitar during weekdays ? I don't have. Apart from coming home from a demanding job, I go for my daily jogging, go home bath and by the time I settle down for dinner, it is 9 pm. I take about an hour to finish my meal . That will be 10 pm. It is family time and I haven't read the morning newspaper. Watching the late night tv serial is my daily routine with my family member. Afterwhich I usually will head to bed. I can't sleep too late as I get sleepy the next day. Where the hell can I find the recommended 1 hour long practice routine for guitar ? Is a 5 minutes to 15 minutes of time squeezed out daily for guitar sufficient for a decent practice routine ? Your thoughts please.
Amateur guitarist straight from the oven !

Welcome to adulthood. I haven't practiced more than an hour straight in years.
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie
i feel like you have an obsession with aubrey plaza.

Quote by WCPhils
at least we can all agree SGstriker is the woooooooooooooooooooooorst
I stopped practicing years ago. Don't need it.

In seriousness, I don't think setting a specific time frame is as important as you try to make it. Imo it's more important to play it when you're comfortable. That way you're more focused and can learn more efficiently rather than see it as a task and be distracted by the time.

That probably didn't answer your question though, sorry.
5 or 15 minutes is fine as long as your mind is clear of distraction.
There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Last edited by Joshua Garcia at Dec 21, 2015,
Quote by Stuck_nomore
Who does not have an hour long practice time for guitar during weekdays ? I don't have. Apart from coming home from a demanding job, I go for my daily jogging, go home bath and by the time I settle down for dinner, it is 9 pm. I take about an hour to finish my meal . That will be 10 pm. It is family time and I haven't read the morning newspaper. Watching the late night tv serial is my daily routine with my family member. Afterwhich I usually will head to bed. I can't sleep too late as I get sleepy the next day. Where the hell can I find the recommended 1 hour long practice routine for guitar ? Is a 5 minutes to 15 minutes of time squeezed out daily for guitar sufficient for a decent practice routine ? Your thoughts please.
I actually find shorter practice spans to be better for getting a song down. But for me, I play 20 minutes, take a break, go back to for a while, take a break.....I don't really know how productive one 20 minute practice a day is, but I would guess it's better then none.
Any more, I don't even try practicing. I pick up the guitar, play some stuff, and if I come up with a cool riff, I try and expand on it and make a song. Practicing for the sake of getting better doesn't interest me. I'd rather write good songs than to be able to sweep 6 string arpeggios blindfolded with two fingers.
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie
i feel like you have an obsession with aubrey plaza.

Quote by WCPhils
at least we can all agree SGstriker is the woooooooooooooooooooooorst
If it's really that important to you, then you have to make time. Wake up an hour earlier, go to bed an hour later, or sacrifice one of your other routines.
During the less busy times of my PhD I could do about 2 hours a night. I would practice three separate techniques for 20 mins each then spend 1 hour on a song.

I also found writing out a little etude helped to keep all my techniques in check. I tried to make it sound musical as possible but you dont have to.

Another thing I found helps is to plan your whole week down to the hour. So you know at 8pm Monday you will practice for two hours but you can do all the chores have dinner etc before then.
Sat in a lab, curing diseases. They actually LET me play with chemicals!
It's about what you practice, not how long. Play your scales and arpeggios at absolute zero speed, focusing on the artistic approach to the act of playing your instrument. Make sure you are perfectly orchestrating the pick attack. That's all you gotta do