Im currently looking for a new amp for classic/hard rock tones with a budget of around AU$400.
The two options I am considering are a peavey bandit (red stripe, made in china), and a Vox ac30vr that is 3 years old.

Which of these would be better for the sounds I am after (zeppelin, pink floyd, wolfmother, acdc etc, and preferably the versatility to handle more modern rock/punk), and are there any other amps I should be looking at within this price range?
This would work. and it is big enough you can jam with other people
www.allansbillyhyde.com.au/prod/PV3608073/Peavey_Vypyr®_VIP_2_40w_1x12_Combo_Guitar_Modeling_Amplifier.aspx

Check your local classifieds and you might be able to score a good deal
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by mtolhurst3001
Thanks for the reply, but I'm not really after a modelling amp

Well the bandit isn't all that great, the vypyr is better at every sound.

The AC30VR is basically the AC30 model ripped out of the Vox Vt preamp which is a modeling amp

But it is your choice. At least check your local gumtree/craigslist and see what is available used.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Yeah, that's the reason I chose those two to look at, there are used ones for sale atm, but I'll take a look at a few modelling ones, see what else is for sale.
Quote by mtolhurst3001
Yeah, that's the reason I chose those two to look at, there are used ones for sale atm, but I'll take a look at a few modelling ones, see what else is for sale.

Yeah I know stuff is expensive in Au, but check all your options before you settle
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
There are also heaps of Marshall valvestate amps around at the moment in a similar price range, as well as a jtm60, although I have heard of overheating issues
Last edited by mtolhurst3001 at Dec 22, 2015,
Yeah the JTM60 or JCM600 (same amp different name) had heating issues.

Valvestates aren't that great either
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I'm not sure what it costs in Australia, but you might want to take a look at the Fender Super Champ X2. I know you said no modeling amps, but it's mostly tube and sounds great. It has a lot of different voices and pretty much all of them are usable. Plus, you can hook it up to Fender Fuse software and have a blast.

Edit:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Fender-Super-Champ-X2-Guitar-Combo-Amplifier-/231772244719?hash=item35f6b3caef:g:9ZQAAOSwwbdWN-NF

Boom, right in your budget.
Last edited by dombar335 at Dec 22, 2015,
They are going for about 500, which is a little over what I planned to spend, but I'd rather pay a bit more for better quality, so I'll consider it. Thanks for the suggestion

Edit: shipping a tube amp internationally, not real sure on that one...
Last edited by mtolhurst3001 at Dec 22, 2015,
Quote by mtolhurst3001
Im currently looking for a new amp for classic/hard rock tones with a budget of around AU$400.
The two options I am considering are a peavey bandit (red stripe, made in china), and a Vox ac30vr that is 3 years old.

Which of these would be better for the sounds I am after (zeppelin, pink floyd, wolfmother, acdc etc, and preferably the versatility to handle more modern rock/punk), and are there any other amps I should be looking at within this price range?

Peavey Bandit is one of the worst amps ever made - those amps are the reason solid state amps have such a terrible reputation- AVOID.

Go with a small tube amp or a straight up digital emulation amp if that's all you can afford.
Quote by mtolhurst3001
They are going for about 500, which is a little over what I planned to spend, but I'd rather pay a bit more for better quality, so I'll consider it. Thanks for the suggestion

Edit: shipping a tube amp internationally, not real sure on that one...

Sorry, I can't speak for having an amp shipped internationally. I've never personally had one shipped. Looks like they offer returns though.
Super Champ, Laney Cub, a few others offer a lot more rock guitar tone than Bandit or VR.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
I'd go with the AC30. Great all around versatile amp, with OD you can go into more hard rock territory. I'd probably settle for that one before it's sold (you chaps in Australia are really hard pressed for gear - looked at some of the local ads in Sydney).
Quote by diabolical
I'd go with the AC30. Great all around versatile amp, with OD you can go into more hard rock territory. I'd probably settle for that one before it's sold (you chaps in Australia are really hard pressed for gear - looked at some of the local ads in Sydney).

It is a AC30vr (valve reactor) not a real AC30
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Is a Marshall Jcm2000 DSL or Peavey Classic doable?

The dsl can do everything, I think you can pull everything off witht he classic too, especially with an OD.
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
The dsl is well out of my price range, and the only peavey classic I can find has had the crap beat out of it. There are a few vt15 series amps though
Has anyone heard anything about the ashton viper 100 amp head, there is one available with a 4x10 cab within my budget.
never heard of them. Go give it a try and see if you like it.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Just to chime back in. The VT15 is what I had before I just got a Super Champ. It sounded pretty good, it was a little confusing to use, especially on the effects. But I'm extremely happy with my upgrade to the Super Champ. It sounds a lot better and all of the voices sound useable to me. On the VT15 I only ever used 2 or 3 of the models.