I practise with my band once a week and I always wear ear plugs to protect my ears. I have always used the foam ones but I have heard you can get more expensive ones that let a better frequency range though.

Can anybody recommend some? A broad range of price options would be nice. I don't mind spending the money if it's a good long term solution, but would also like to see cheaper options that might put me on for 6 months.

lodgi
My favorites have always been the silicon SureFire EarPros EP3sdfor comfort and ease of use. I use them for shooting and when riding my motorcycle (~$12/pr, last a year or so). They're great in that they tend to block more sound the louder it is, so you can still hear people talking in normal conversation even when wearing them. I don't know about passing certain frequencies, but they did used to market them specifically at musicians.

But I've recently tried Mighty Plugs, which are more like a soft clay that molds to your ear each time you use them. They run about $4/pr if you buy a few and are reusable for a while. If you don't have big ears, you can pull them apart and get maybe 3 plugs out of every 2 'buttons' of clay. They work extremely well and are very comfortable. The drawback is they are not super-quick to put in / pull out and they sometimes feel a bit warm.
Go to an audiologist (Google is your friend) and get fit for a set of Westones. $150-200 with variable attenuation, including the fitting process. These are molded to your ear and come with a set of filters designed to let you hear accurately, but at much lower volume. You're going to hate the cheapos very quickly because they muffle the highs and do strange things to the mids.

I like Vic Firth. They knock down the volume by about 20db and I can still hear to sing. $15
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Use the cheap 3m plugs for rehearsal (buy in bulk) because the offer the most attenuation. For shows get a set of nice molded plugs. Contact your health insurance company to see if they cover earplugs. And molded earplugs can often be purchased steeply discounted from gun shows.
Last edited by jpnyc at Dec 22, 2015,
Quote by dspellman
Go to an audiologist (Google is your friend) and get fit for a set of Westones. $150-200 with variable attenuation, including the fitting process. These are molded to your ear and come with a set of filters designed to let you hear accurately, but at much lower volume. You're going to hate the cheapos very quickly because they muffle the highs and do strange things to the mids.

Seconded on the cheap earplugs -- even the $20 ones. I bought a pair of Hearos (I think that's what they are) and they do exactly as dspellman described -- they alter the sound completely. What's most bothersome is what they do to the mids. They do lower the volume though.

I had a pair of Stihl chainsaw earmuffs at one time that did a great job of reducing volume and didn't seem to affect the lows or mids -- but they shaved off some of the higher fizz. Unfortunately I broke those...

Anyway, I say either get some really good earplugs or turn the amp down. Turning the amp down to whisper volumes still sounds better than bad earplugs, in my case.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
if youre going for a fitting, personally call a bunch of ENTs. my buddies went to the first one they called, $50 each. the first person I called did it for $20, and im positive he would have gone lower. but for practice just any old earplugs will work. my fitting was for IEMs.
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
Thanks for the replies. I should have mentioned im in the UK so am looking for UK based fitters if I go for a proper moulded set.

Thanks for the advice Kali, but I turning my amp down at practise is not really helpful as the drums and other guitars are still present.