Page 1 of 2
How do you feel when people smash gear on stage? I personally can't stand to watch! Why smash all those guitars,amps,drum kits etc....? Do you think this is good showmanship or....? Opinions please.
Quote by Dick Savage
How do you feel when people smash gear on stage? I personally can't stand to watch! Why smash all those guitars,amps,drum kits etc....? Do you think this is good showmanship or....? Opinions please.

I thought it was cool when they did it in the 70's, not so much anymore.
u kidding you should've heard the crowd wehn I smashed ur mum on stage lmao
There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Quote by Joshua Garcia
u kidding you should've heard the crowd wehn I smashed ur mum on stage lmao

You dirty nechrophile you.
It's a waste of equipment. If you don't want it, toss it into the crowd. Someone will make use of it.
I have nothing important to say
Quote by JackSaints
It's a waste of equipment. If you don't want it, toss it into the crowd. Someone will make use of it.

+1
It's not like smashing their instruments is compensation for their terrible playing. Or being a terrible person. In fact it makes that part more obvious.

At this point it's become such a novelty that it's not even cool, it's just wasteful and done a million times before.
The quest for your perfect gear is like being under the surface of a huge, overpowering lake. When you've nearly swam to the light on the surface it shoots far out of your sight again. Still, I'll enjoy the swim. What'd I do if I reached the top?
Last edited by sasquatchjosh96 at Dec 22, 2015,
part of the big rock show back in the day. haven't seen anyone do that in many years. more often than not the guitar, amp etc that got trashed was a cheapie. as for throwing it in the crowd you can't really expect it to make it in one piece of remain that way. the fights would result in people getting hurt. i remember seeing ritchie blackmore trash a strat and throw the neck in the audience. guy caught it got tackled and had the neck taken. he tried to get it back but instead got it straight across the face baseball bat style. dude that had it looked like he was trying to hit a home run. knocked the guy out and he was bleeding. pretty ugly thing to watch.
Quote by monwobobbo
part of the big rock show back in the day. haven't seen anyone do that in many years. more often than not the guitar, amp etc that got trashed was a cheapie. as for throwing it in the crowd you can't really expect it to make it in one piece of remain that way. the fights would result in people getting hurt. i remember seeing ritchie blackmore trash a strat and throw the neck in the audience. guy caught it got tackled and had the neck taken. he tried to get it back but instead got it straight across the face baseball bat style. dude that had it looked like he was trying to hit a home run. knocked the guy out and he was bleeding. pretty ugly thing to watch.

And at what point exactly was this less entertaining than watching Blackmore just smash the thing? At least there was some "interactivity" with the audience.

Btw, ask Pete Townsend if those were "cheapies". Pete alone smashed enough high end vintage gear (although new at the time) to outmatch all of our salaries for probably a 20 year span.
Last edited by Dick Savage at Dec 22, 2015,
Lame then, lame now. Lots of better ways to punch up a show.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
If your name isn't Townshend, Moon, or Hendrix, you just look like a jackass.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Quote by Dick Savage
And at what point exactly was this less entertaining than watching Blackmore just smash the thing? At least there was some "interactivity" with the audience.

Btw, ask Pete Townsend if those were "cheapies". Pete alone smashed enough high end vintage gear (although new at the time) to outmatch all of our salaries for probably a 20 year span.

guessing the guy who thought he had a neat sovenier didn't get much entertainment from that. .

as for pete well those were just new guitars (often used actually) and weren't worth that much back then. maybe because pete smashed a bunch they became more collectable as there wree fewer of them left.
Quote by monwobobbo
guessing the guy who thought he had a neat sovenier didn't get much entertainment from that. .

as for pete well those were just new guitars (often used actually) and weren't worth that much back then. maybe because pete smashed a bunch they became more collectable as there wree fewer of them left.

Most higher end instruments of the time period cost at least 300 dollars which wasnt exactly pocket change back then. No doubt he added to the scarcity of some instruments and which increased the value later...
Quote by neidnarb11890
i been around since 1986 fuck

Easy Billy Joe, here have a valium.
People still do that?????
It was more practical in the 80s when corporations were funding huge arena rock tours and it was no big deal to smash something.
These days rockers aren't really making that kind of money.

Plus I think it officially became lame when Garth Brooks started smashing guitars onstage

https://youtu.be/n_MrQmG1kBw
Last edited by EyeNon15 at Dec 23, 2015,
Quote by Dick Savage

I think if you have the money to replace all of that, then I guess. But personally it doesn't tickle my pickle as a fan
Originally posted by Joshua Garcia
I just come here to dick around.
And maybe occasionally wave my dick around.

My D is major
I love stage enthusiasm as much as anyone, but smashing an instrument pains me whenever I see it. They are worth more than destruction because someone, somewhere could have used that instrument to build up their own musical talent.
"Rock'n'Roll, music for the neck downwards"
protip: if you don't care enough about your gear to throw it into a white van everyday and take it aound the country, you probably shouldn't care if it's broken or stolen.

Keep your good gear at home.

Idiot.

I say burn down the the stage, who gives a fuck. Peavey windsors exist to be thrown into the back of van from 20 yards.

one less guitar is one extra sleeping space.
Last edited by stratkat at Dec 23, 2015,
Smashing an instrument, I think, was just to make a statement. Those bands usually made it and in those days still earned a lot of money OR struck deals with manufacturers. Why not show off how much of a rich ass douche you are by just destroying your gear and show up the next time with new shit.
Quote by Dreadnought

Smashed a guitar once on stage. It felt stupid at the time. It was. Never again unless it like falls apart while I'm playing it. Because at that point, what am I going to do?
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie
i feel like you have an obsession with aubrey plaza.

Quote by WCPhils
at least we can all agree SGstriker is the woooooooooooooooooooooorst
Quote by EyeNon15
Just smash some fruit like Gallagher
Works every time

Hell Yes! Sledgeomatic baby!
I saw John Rzeznik do it at the end of a Goo Goo Dolls set in 98. Was kinda cool then, but I can't see myself doing it. I'm not sure I have an emotional attachment to one, so much as any useful tool I'm not going to destroy. Then again, I probably don't have the budget to go bust a guitar and not think twice about it.

It's probably cool to have seen it once, but gets old again and again. Guitars can get kinda pricey, even if you have a shitty copy to slam into pieces.
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587, Agile Septor 727
*mods

Amps/FX
Peavey: Vypyr 30/Max 112 (200W), ISP: Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.

justinguitar.com is the answer
meh. view it as unnecessary/pointless but I don't get annoyed by it.

last time I saw it happen I think was at dillinger escape plan and he snapped his guitar in half, climbed up a big speaker stack and up to the balcony and then jumped into the crowd from like 12 ft up. the guitar getting broken wasn't that impressive compared to the height he was jumping from.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Quote by theguitarist
meh. view it as unnecessary/pointless but I don't get annoyed by it.

last time I saw it happen I think was at dillinger escape plan and he snapped his guitar in half, climbed up a big speaker stack and up to the balcony and then jumped into the crowd from like 12 ft up. the guitar getting broken wasn't that impressive compared to the height he was jumping from.

I'm surprised those guys are still alive. Every live show by them sounds like an epileptic fit followed by the guitarist hurting himself, (just like their music)
It was hacky even in the 80s

It's like the equivalent of motley crue putting a bunch of fake amps on stage to imply super loudness
Page 1 of 2