Just curious about these too. I would like to have something in mind in case I decide to get some.

Budget is less than $300 USD. For mixing and playback. Needs to be powered. Also I am not sure what the bass response is like on studio monitors (really never used a set before) but I guess I need as flat response as possible, no roll-off, needs to be able to thump. If I need to move my budget up to get something worthwhile let me know.
You'll want to push closer to $500 minimum for something with a near-flat response. Yamaha makes great bang-for-the-buck speakers. The HS8 would thump for you and be as flat as you can get for the money, while still thumping. I use the MSP7 which is much flatter for the same price but doesn't have the same bass response.

Basically, pick two: affordable, flat, bass thump

If you want bass thump you'll need two things:
1. Large woofers, 6" minimum but 8" will be better (since you can't afford a sub)
2. Songs that have thumping bass! Gotta write it, the speakers won't polish any turds.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by Sid McCall
the MSP7 which is much flatter for the same price but doesn't have the same bass response.
The MSP series sounds much more like the NS10 than the HS ones tho.
Quote by Sid McCall
If you want bass thump you'll need two things:
1. Large woofers, 6" minimum but 8" will be better (since you can't afford a sub)
2. Songs that have thumping bass! Gotta write it, the speakers won't polish any turds.
I respectfully disagree.

Even a pair of speakers with 5" woofers will surely be able to reproduce a fair amount of bass unless you need very high volume, and will potentially introduce less distortion than bigger woofers if you go higher than 100Hz.

Biggest thing is your room anyway - unless you have a good room your speakers won't sound accurate, especially in the low frequency region, and the thing goes so far that a pair of $5k speakers in a bad room will sound worse than a pair of $500 speakers in a good room.
Quote by Will Lane
Jbl Lsr308?
They sound honest considering how much they cost, but you won't get anything much good using the approach that goes like "I want something good and don't want to spend more than xxx".
I mean, it's good to have limits, but if you want something over the low tire stuff you'll have to go for a pair of HS8, a7x, 8020 or something of the likes.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
just get some jbl lsr305's and chill. your room, like everyone else's, is probably gonna be more of an issue than speakers so you're just pissing away money on other stuff
Quote by SHaun Steel
M-audio BX8 D2's are great bang for the buck $260ish give or take

These are pretty good for the price.
Might want to look at some used, Alesis Studio One MK II are pretty good, PreSonus Eeris might be worth a look, Behringer Truth surprisingly are also very decent for the price. Yamaha HS8 is great if you can go up another $200 or get them used.
Quote by Spambot_2

Biggest thing is your room anyway - unless you have a good room your speakers won't sound accurate, especially in the low frequency region, and the thing goes so far that a pair of $5k speakers in a bad room will sound worse than a pair of $500 speakers in a good room.

Do not disregard this piece of advice.

When I moved, I moved into a space that was not yet set up as a studio, and was terrible acoustically. With the exact same gear as I had in the old place, I went from being able to make decent mixes to not being able to make anything half-listenable to save my soul.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by axemanchris
Do not disregard this piece of advice.

When I moved, I moved into a space that was not yet set up as a studio, and was terrible acoustically. With the exact same gear as I had in the old place, I went from being able to make decent mixes to not being able to make anything half-listenable to save my soul.

CT

I cannot stress this enough:

Your room matters WAY more than you think it does. I've gotten used to mixing in untreated environments (as I'm in college and I don't have the money to treat my apartment) but it sucks trying to figure out what the hell is making your bass sound so anemic when in any other room it's overbearing.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
If you could get your budget up to $500, the Presonus Eris 8's are simply stunning in their clarity, sound stage imaging, and bass response. A pair of these will definitely change your recordings for the better.