I was listening to a new album by a local doom/groove-metal band the other day, and was surprised when I realized it was mono! I checked the wave form, definitely mono. They're a pretty popular band, and the band member who produced it obviously knows what he's doing (the actual recording quality is quite good), so is there any reason why someone would intentionally make a mono mix? I heard it on bandcamp, and checked youtube as well and it was the same.

My first thought was that it was a mistake, however, the record's already out.
Quote by Leather Sleeves
is there any reason why someone would intentionally make a mono mix?
Only reason I can think of could be that someone isn't good enough to make a stereo mix sound good when collapsed to mono, but even that is a very good reason.

To make sure it's mono load the two channels on different tracks and reverse the polarity of one, "looking at the waveforms" isn't really a way that will tell you what's happening exactly.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
I have intentionally done a mono mix by request for video soundtracks. Some of the older equipment only had 1 audio track. I'm sure they did it on an audio recording to be unique and stand out from the herd.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
I'd say most likely done for hipster aesthetic. The doomsters are going retro and I guess this was another attempt to do just that. Personally, I think it is stupid, in the age of 5.1 to go back to the 50s but I guess it must've worked for them.
I just listened to the two song links that worked (the Facebook link didn't work) for the band that were posted by the OP. What I heard is in stereo on my system. Can't say I'm too impressed by the production. There's no bottom end. The drums are buried and if there is a bass I can't hear it and I'm listening with some fairly decent studio monitors.

Listen to diabolicals mixes on his links (I especially like "Ruok"). Nice full bottom and bass.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Dec 23, 2015,
Quote by Rickholly74
I just listened to the song two links that worked (the Facebook link didn't work). What I heard is in stereo on my system. Can't say I'm too impressed by the production. There's no bottom end. The drums are buried and if there is a bass I can't hear it and I'm listening with some fairly decent studio monitors.

That'd be my impression on most of these new hipster "doom" bands trying to bring back proto Black Sabbath sounds, like Electric Wizard, etc. Shoddy production, either bass missing, or drums missing, or fuzz up the wazoo, but it is trendy for some reason and it apparently sells. Make me think that I should unload that Laney AOR 50 head that I have as I probably would get a good price for it now that these bands started using them.
Quote by Rickholly74
I just listened to the two song links that worked (the Facebook link didn't work) for the band that were posted by the OP. What I heard is in stereo on my system. Can't say I'm too impressed by the production. There's no bottom end. The drums are buried and if there is a bass I can't hear it and I'm listening with some fairly decent studio monitors.

Listen to diabolicals mixes on his links (I especially like "Ruok"). Nice full bottom and bass.

Psst, that's his post signature - presumably his own band. I don't think that's the band/mix he's talking about
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Quote by DisarmGoliath
Psst, that's his post signature - presumably his own band. I don't think that's the band/mix he's talking about

That is correct

Here's their link if you're interested:
https://doommachine.bandcamp.com/album/written-in-stone

I just thought it was weird that it was mono and I didn't really want to ask him about it in case it was a mistake.