Page 1 of 4
Hoi,

So it's been a few days since I got my license and everything has gone well until today. At traffic lights I must've shut down the car at least 15 times, no exaggerating. I was driving around with my friend at that time. Cars started honking and two cars went past me using the lane for pedestrians.

And once you fail getting on the move a couple of times you start to panic more and more. I literally felt as if 70% of my brains had been somewhere else. The fortunate thing was that I don't live in a big city.

This might not be the best place to ask things like this but I assume most of you have been driving for years.

I've started to doubt whether my foot work down on the pedals is right or not. What I do is first raising the clutch a bit to get the biting point and then I give a bit gas. I then gently raise the clutch completely. Am I doing it right? In the case I mentioned earlier, was I most likely raising the clutch too early/fast and due to panicking it just got worse?

It was a big change to switch from the driving school's car to an old Volvo s70. For example creeping isn't nearly as efficient with the Volvo as with the driving school's car.

At the moment I feel I'm going to be in Guinness World Records 2017: Most shutdowns in a car at a crossroads in a row.
Yeah you're doing it right but if it keeps dying on you you're probably not giving it enough gas. Some cars die on you quicker than others so don't be afraid to make the car purr a bit when you're shifting gears.

Also I wouldn't worry about it, was probably just your nerves. It will become second nature as you get more practice.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Kudos for goin 3 pedals

I've been there...stalling at the lights and panic sets in. Try to practice more around neighborhoods and stop signs before going into the streets.

It sounds like you just need more practice and familiarity with your particular clutch. Try balancing the inputs...

As you slowly let out the clutch, slowly input more throttle. Eventually, you'll intuitively have a feel for when you can let the clutch out and can do it much faster.

Good luck brosef...

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Also you were probably driving a diesel in driving school, those things can run without you pushing on the gas pedal if you lift the clutch gently enough. Most petrol cars can't do that and need more gas to keep going while you accelerate.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
Quote by JamSessionFreak
Also you were probably driving a diesel in driving school, those things can run without you pushing on the gas pedal if you lift the clutch gently enough. Most petrol cars can't do that and need more gas to keep going while you accelerate.

True... diesels tend to have more torque and can get the car going on idle while low-torque gas engines need a bit of revs to get past the inertia.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
It just takes practice. Go find an empty parking lot or country road and practice with no other cars around. If it has a gentle slope, practice going downhill first until you are 100% confident. Repeat on level ground until confident, then on a slight uphill until confident. Once you can do all three the intersection in traffic will be effortless.

It's like learning to play an F barre chord.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
I remember when I was doing my first hours in driving school and just getting the clutch thing down. I was feeling very confident and decided to give my mom's car a go which was a petrol engine unlike the learning car and my dad's car which I practiced on.

I literally couldn't even get the thing going. Died on me so many times I just gave up and had mom drive me home. I still get flashbacks.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
It's good to know and hear that I'm not the only one encountering this lol. And yes it uses diesel (the driving school's car). Please go on and tell everything you have in your mind. I'd be happy to read more.
not exactly the most practical, but what helped me a lot was having a sim wheel setup with 3 pedals and all. I got down the "routine" with this and it made real life a lot easier because I could just focus on getting the clutch down without needing to think about all the other stuff.

I also learned to rev-match downshift and heel toe very quickly and consequence free with that.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
It actually happened to me twice in a row this one time at the same stoplight. I don't even remember what I did.

Just keep going at it.
Clutches are so easy I find it so hard to comprehend how people struggle with clutches because to me it's just a part of operating the car. Best way to learn imo
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Clutches are so easy I find it so hard to comprehend how people struggle with clutches because to me it's just a part of operating the car. Best way to learn imo

...what?

"it's just a part of operating the car" is the best way to learn?

Also, the ease of the clutch varies widely depending on the car.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Well yeah clutches are different from car to car but it takes about 30 minutes to get used to. Everyone in the UK learns with manual cars so if you don't know how to use a clutch you are seen as a second class driver.
When it doubt give it more gas pedal if you don't want to stall. It will be a little rough on you and the clutch but you won't kill the car in traffic.

It'll be awhile before you get a feel for your clutch. The best way to explain it is: When you let off the clutch, there will be a point when the car starts to move WITHOUT you giving it gas. At that point you should be pressing the gas pedal. That's when the throttle takes over from the clutch.

Left foot comes off as the right foot goes down. You'll get used to it. Everyone who drives a manual learned the same way, by practicing that shit.
Quote by EndTheRapture51

The man literally just got his license, stop wanking off to the fact that you can press down a pedal better than him.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
Used to drive a manual for a while. Shifting gears isn't hard. Everything else you do with the clutch is hard.
"Most people work just hard enough not to get fired and get paid just enough not to quit." - George Carlin
Quote by JamSessionFreak
The man literally just got his license, stop wanking off to the fact that you can press down a pedal better than him.

It's just stupid to teach and give people licenses in automatics and then let them drive manuals
Quote by EndTheRapture51
It's just stupid to teach and give people licenses in automatics and then let them drive manuals

it's easy to learn so who cares
Quote by EndTheRapture51

You didn't read the post, did you? It was clearly stated that his teaching car was manual.

Edit: well not that clear but it's implied.
Last edited by blacknex at Dec 23, 2015,
if you wanna get good at it, find a hill where there isn't much traffic and just practice taking off from a stop in the middle of it. once you get going, stop and repeat. flat ground isn't a real test for learning a clutch
Quote by EndTheRapture51
not if u r a hazard to other road drivers

lol dude you are such a lil bitch

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
One of the best lessons my driving instructor gave me re: clutches was basically having me gradually and slightly remove my foot off the clutch to see exactly when the car will stall. This probably damages your car so I'm not sure how helpful it is, but it really helped me lose my fear of engine stalls.
Bro, I live in Canada where 99% of cars are automatic and I just bought a standard Toyota 4Runner a few months ago because I was fucking sick and tired of having my transmission fucking break on me. Fixing a transmission on a $1000 car usually cost more than that, so I usually just bought another entire car (transmission breaks on a standard, it's usually just a new $150 clutch rather than a $2k rebuild on an automatic). So I bought this manual truck to avoid that bullshit. Before this I've been through a car per year. I've had about 6 or 7 cars that have all had transmission issues that I just said "fuck it" and bought a new one.

Anyways after driving for about a week when I first learned (I learned years ago on my dads truck) I didn't stall anymore.

The hard part is going from stopped to moving. Good trick to start with is give it gas while your foot is pushing the clutch down. So your engine will be revving a little bit but not moving, both pedals pressed. Then slowly move out the clutch and when you feel it "catch", slowly give more gas while you move the clutch out. Simple as that.

I taught myself how to drive stick and I haven't stalled since that first week of driving. Easy peasy now.

Once you get the idea of how to move without stalling you should go to a deserted hill and park it on the hill. If you can move from parked to moving without stalling on a hill, your training is complete.

Quote by EndTheRapture51

I agree sort of. I mean you should learn to drive manual just because some cars require it (outside North America especially), but when you don't have to worry about learning how to actually operate the car while you're also learning the rules of proper driving, things are much easier. People should use automatics for a year or two to get used to driving, then get a manual when they are comfortable driving.

But really, how expensive would that be. Some people just want to drive the car from a to b and don't care about manual, which I'm totally ok with. My truck is a 4x4 and I use it for towing and off-roading sometimes, so manual is better for that. Manual is also (usually) better for racing. So if you take your car to the track or whatever, then get a maunal.

Casual city driving? Get an automatic. It doesn't matter and the manual vs standard circlejerk is really stupid. Some people don't give a shit about that sort of thing, they just want a vehicle.
Quote by MetalGS3SE
This is the best idea I have ever heard. Ever.

Naedauuf for president people.

Last edited by naedauuf at Dec 23, 2015,
Quote by Eastwinn
how tho

He means if you never learned how to drive manual and you're on the roads attempting to after getting your license in an auto. You'll be focusing on trying to keep from stalling instead of focusing on other drivers and the road like you normally would.

I can see where he's coming from. I believe in Japan they issue a manual license and auto license, with manual owners allowed to drive auto as well. That's prolly the best way to go about issuing licenses.

But if you're learning to drive in a manual then you're doing it right. I believe having to learn how to keep from stalling and knowing when to shift makes you a better driver. And if you're attempting to learn manual after only driving auto you should stick to empty roads and parking lots until you can start and stop without stalling.
Last edited by DukeDeRox at Dec 23, 2015,
If you can't drive stick, you're not a man/woman.
Quote by laid-to-waste
look nigga, if you're chillin with 5 bros and 2 hos, you're gonna wanna pay attention to all of em equally. not moon over the hos forever and laugh at every shitty thing they say and just stare at them all night, like some of my mates do.
I shouldn't be able to pride myself on knowing how to drive a manual, somethings should be standard; they're not, but they should be.
Quote by laid-to-waste
look nigga, if you're chillin with 5 bros and 2 hos, you're gonna wanna pay attention to all of em equally. not moon over the hos forever and laugh at every shitty thing they say and just stare at them all night, like some of my mates do.
POM

Prepare, Observe, Maneuver...

Get the car ready to go, look at all your check points, go.
Quote by laid-to-waste
Quote by treborillusion
I shouldn't be able to pride myself on knowing how to drive a manual, somethings should be standard; they're not, but they should be.

Why? What if you just want something to get you to work every day? Standard has it's uses, but I'd argue that most people don't need or want it. If I lived in a city and just needed a way to get to work, just driving on roads, no highways, why would I need a standard over automatic? What's the point in specifically choosing a standard in that case?

It's a good skill to have (I drive standard), but definitely not needed. And it doesn't make you "less of a man" (whatever that's supposed to mean) to not know how.
Quote by MetalGS3SE
This is the best idea I have ever heard. Ever.

Naedauuf for president people.

Quote by naedauuf
the manual vs standard circlejerk is really stupid

it's pretty funny though
Quote by JamSessionFreak
Yeah you're doing it right but if it keeps dying on you you're probably not giving it enough gas. Some cars die on you quicker than others so don't be afraid to make the car purr a bit when you're shifting gears.

Also I wouldn't worry about it, was probably just your nerves. It will become second nature as you get more practice.

Meant to quote TS sorry.

Practice taking of on a hill. If you can do that everything else is gravy. Also if you can try it on a gravel hill then that is even better. Try and make it where you can take off wothout digging out any gravel.

The volvo you mentioned has a pretty high finial drive ratio (ring/pinion) this means you need to rev the car more to acheive sufficient torque. You shouldnt need to rev any higher than 2000-2200 rpm while taking off. Pracrice reving the car and coming off the clutch slowly while the engine speed is decreasing, then as you start moving slowly ease into the throttle.

Practice practice practice. You will get the hang of it rather quickly.

I started in a 66 malibu with a 427/4spd and a rather low rearend it was both easy and dangerous. You are lucky and you dont even know it. ^that car would nake your left leg go numb just pushing the pedal after a while.
Last edited by Dick Savage at Dec 23, 2015,
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Well yeah clutches are different from car to car but it takes about 30 minutes to get used to. Everyone in the UK learns with manual cars so if you don't know how to use a clutch you are seen as a second class driver.

Practically no one in the states drives manual unless they are enthusiasts or are old enough to remember automatic trans being a feature.

I envy Europe, most Americans are terrible drivers.

Everyone stalls getting into first for the first week or so, it'll happen less and less over time.

1) Lift clutch until it bites
2) give it some gas
3) lift of the clutch and give it slightly more gas.
Last edited by rickyj at Dec 23, 2015,
Quote by rickyj
Practically no one in the states drives manual unless they are enthusiasts or are old enough to remember automatic trans being a feature.

This is largely just marketing. You can charge more for a automatic and it requires many times the maintenance that a manuel does.

Plus driving a manuel is actually much safer because it gorces you to concentrate on driving!

This is why people that have mental deficiencies that are still allowed to drive are encouraged to drive manuel.

I run a the ARC (Mentally challenged adults) league every Saturday morning and the ones who can drive all drive manuel for the reason of concentration.
Quote by treborillusion

I don't know what you mean when you say that you shouldn't be able to, but you definitely shouldn't pride yourself on it. I know I've done it a few times, but it's really just banter and I don't actually mean it. The same goes for most tasks that people take pride in being able to perform. Manual transmissions are mostly archaic. There are very few people in the world who would ever need it, and it's mostly a nuisance unless you're an enthusiast or you actually need it.
Quote by Dick Savage
This is largely just marketing. You can charge more for a automatic and it requires many times the maintenance that a manuel does.

Plus driving a manuel is actually much safer because it gorces you to concentrate on driving!

This is why people that have mental deficiencies that are still allowed to drive are encouraged to drive manuel.

I run a the ARC (Mentally challenged adults) league every Saturday morning and the ones who can drive all drive manuel for the reason of concentration.

What do you mean when you say it's largely just marketing? I'd imagine it's the other way around- most Americans can't be bothered so auto manufacturers make fewer cars with manual transmissions for the American market. If it were really for reasons of marketing, I think we'd see more places use the same strategy. Manual transmissions are still popular in other parts of the world.

Driving a manual is safer only if the driver is comfortable with it. It's dangerous in the hands of most Americans.
Free Ali
Last edited by chrismendiola at Dec 23, 2015,
Page 1 of 4