Would it be worth getting? I don't know much about Hofners but it's a bit cheaper than most of the other ones I've seen. I think I read that these sound/play better if the strings are changed from the stock ones (??).
Can I ask why you want a Hofner? Going off the bands you're into in your profile they don't really make anything that would make you happy.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
That hasn't been updated in a while. I've been getting into psych and experimental stuff lately and a few bands I like have used them. I really dont wanna spend $700 for one of the better ones.
Hofners were always budget instruments, the only reason Macca used one was that it was all that he could afford.
In the UK in the pre Beatle days Hofners were decent starter instruments then you progressed to either Burns or into the US brands.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Hofner only appealed to me because of its cool shape. Soundwise they seem pretty limited in terms of tonal range, and I personally don't like playing short scale basses. But they've got good german engineering so you won't be getting a piece of shit.

Quality wise they're always going to be adding 'newer' and 'better' parts to improve their basses, like every other brand. You're still getting a good hofner -$700, it's just the whole concept of business marketing pressures companies to create a range of different prices to appeal to different customers. So yes in a way the +$700 are overpriced but they're obviously going to have better quality than the cheaper ones
how do you edit signature?
Quote by John Swift
Hofners were always budget instruments, the only reason Macca used one was that it was all that he could afford.
In the UK in the pre Beatle days Hofners were decent starter instruments then you progressed to either Burns or into the US brands.

With Hofner, you are always going to pay for the "Beatle" factor, which imho, inflates the pricing on any of their gear. Its also a very unique sound that is not going to work with all types of music. If you are looking for a workhorse bass, this isn't an option I'd recommend; its a bit too boutique a tone.
Quote by anarkee
With Hofner, you are always going to pay for the "Beatle" factor, which imho, inflates the pricing on any of their gear. Its also a very unique sound that is not going to work with all types of music. If you are looking for a workhorse bass, this isn't an option I'd recommend; its a bit too boutique a tone.

What do you mean by workhorse? And yeah I've noticed that with a lot of gear used by bigger bands. I play a lot of psych/experimental music so the sound would be pretty fitting I think, I've noticed quite a few bands I like using them. I've played precision basses before and like them but these look and sound cooler IMO. I was also looking at the Douglas violin bass on rondo music but I don't really want to have to mod anything.
A workhorse is a bass that you can grab in 99% of your situations and use. Unless you think you are always going to play experimental / psych music, a bass like the Hofner may not be a good choice in the long run. Again, it could be the bass you end up loving and playing for a long time. But after playing for over a decade, my experience is that I'd rather have a bass that I can use in different situations because the bands you are in and your own tastes may change over time. I dumped a dano longhorn for those very reasons.
I mean it probably won't be my only bass, but I get that. I really wanna know more about these though, like their quality and everything. What other basses would you recommend?
Just seen a "Hofner B-Bass Icon Series, 2007 model" for sale. Can't seem to find any note of an Icon Series anywhere though. Anyone know if it's a real thing? It's being sold for £125, so wouldn't be a huge loss, but still.
Quote by FatalGear41
Bassists don't hover on the forum day and night like guitarists. We've got lives to lead, music to play and whiskey to drink.

Quote by Ziphoblat
I'd rather go at my hands with a hacksaw than play lead guitar, and I'm only slightly exaggerating.