I'm trying to learn the solo for XIV by Born of Osiris and it's a lot of sweeping. And it's Terri my fast. What's interesting is that Jason does not bar his sweeps which sometimes results in alternating between first and second fingers descending strings while on the same fret. Go ahead and try it, play the twelfth fret on E then B then G as a downward sweep but don't bar it, instead use your first and second then first finger again. It's damn weird and causing me a bit of trouble. Apparently he does this because it makes the arpeggios clearer, and I don't doubt him. But it gets very cramped sometimes. Idk if this guy adheres to that rule but here's a good cover for reference of this solo

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QnXaZqHQY80

I'm having less trouble with my right hand at the moment and more trouble with my left hand. Aside from the troubles of not barring arpeggios, just building speed in general is very hard. I can play it at about half speed but I'm basically hitting a speed wall. Any tricks? Try to use my tips more (Insert just the tip joke here) or whatever else?

Also as a reference I want to know if I'm trying to go too fast. I'm trying to increase speed 5bpm at a time. Do you think this is (and this is the most important question) too big of an increase for each increment? Should I only try to increase speed by 1bpm per day or something? That's awfully slow. Maybe only 5bpm a day? What say you?
Sweep picking requires a lot memorization to play fast. if you don't have the notes you are trying to sweep memorized you are going to struggle getting it up to speed, you don't have time to see "whats next" .
After you do enough sweeping you start to see patterns that really get used across multiple genres and songs that if you can sweep it for one song you can do it for another.

Right hand makes a circle motion pick at an angle and helps mute. Left hand has a rolling motion to it.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/music_styles/neoclassical_shred_guitar.html

scroll down to the sweep picking section, I found it pretty good.
Here's the problem:

You're a beginner, you're trying to play fast and you're starting to learn sweep picking with that solo. Take a step back and stop playing Born of Osiris and stop trying to play things way way WAY out of your capabilities. It's only going to damage your progress trying to make that giant leap. It is simply impossible for now.

That's as simple as I can put it.
Quote by vayne92
Here's the problem:

You're a beginner, you're trying to play fast and you're starting to learn sweep picking with that solo. Take a step back and stop playing Born of Osiris and stop trying to play things way way WAY out of your capabilities. It's only going to damage your progress trying to make that giant leap. It is simply impossible for now.

well that was to the point

i wouldn't worry about increasing speed until you can nail it at your current speed. that is a very difficult piece so don't be shocked if you have issues. speed takes time and there are no short cuts. as metnioned you have to know the piece without having to think about it. as soon as you have to think you will mess up.
Quote by vayne92
Here's the problem:

I am by no means a beginner. I am able to sweep, but mostly with patterns that use barring. I have been able to sweep for years now, but now that I'm starting to look at more complex stuff, I'm asking this question.