Right now I have three amplifiers: a Peavey 1500 bedroom amp, a Peavey Classic 30, and a Fender Super Reverb Reissue.

I just got a Carvin CT624 with the Kiesler lithium pickups. It has a beautiful ringing sound. The only problem is that they put out more juice than regular pickups, so the volume is much, much louder. On the Peavey, I can't turn the volume past 1. On the Fender, even with a Weber attenuator set at 1, I can't turn the volume up past 4. The sweet spot for both of these amps is between 5 and 7.

I'm thinking I need to get a good quality amp but with less power. I've modified the Fender with speakers and capacitors to get a warm sound I really like. The Peavey 30 sounds good, too. I'd like to get a nice warm amp that I can play in the mid-range on volume.

I know I can turn down the volume on the guitar, but that always sounds muffled.

Any suggestions? I'd like to stay in the $300 range so I can sell the Peavey to cover the cost.

Thanks for any replies.
Super Champ X2. $350 new/$250 used
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
First thought - see if you can track down a Fender Vibrochamp hybrid.

Edit: Superchamp too. That's a higher wattage version of the vibrochamp.
I know that hybrid modelers don't work for everyone, but that one is really good and particularly good at doing those Fender sounds that you seem to enjoy.

Aside from those two - I think you'll want to be in under 10 watt range. Off the top of my head :
Vox AC4
Jet City Picovalve
Fender 600
H&K Tubemeister 5
Marshall JCM-1 (actually I think there's three different versions of those)
Blackstar HT1

If you're brave and willing to try an amp that may have been built by a first time hobbyist, there's a common circuit called the Firefly. It seems like a cool little amp.
Last edited by paul.housley.7 at Dec 23, 2015,
IT would depend on what music you're after.

Off the bat I am thinking you might want to try the Mesa Boogie load box on your current amps.

Off the bat maybe look at some small 5 to 25 watt amps, Marshall Class5, Laney LC15 if you want to stay more in the clean to classic rock category, Orange Tiny Terror and Mesa Mini Rectifier if you want to shred as well.
How about pulling out two of the EL84 power tubes from the Classic 30?

Or lower gain pre-amp tubes like 5751s or 12AT7s?

Wait for some more feedback on that from guys with more technical knowledge about that amp.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
The Peavey Classic 30 needs all four tubes to work.

I'm trying to stay in the price range of what I'd get for the Peavey, which I think is about $300.
Quote by Monkeyleg
Right now I have three amplifiers: a Peavey 1500 bedroom amp, a Peavey Classic 30, and a Fender Super Reverb Reissue.

I just got a Carvin CT624 with the Kiesler lithium pickups. It has a beautiful ringing sound. The only problem is that they put out more juice than regular pickups, so the volume is much, much louder. On the Peavey, I can't turn the volume past 1. On the Fender, even with a Weber attenuator set at 1, I can't turn the volume up past 4. The sweet spot for both of these amps is between 5 and 7.

I'm thinking I need to get a good quality amp but with less power. I've modified the Fender with speakers and capacitors to get a warm sound I really like. The Peavey 30 sounds good, too. I'd like to get a nice warm amp that I can play in the mid-range on volume.

I know I can turn down the volume on the guitar, but that always sounds muffled.

Any suggestions? I'd like to stay in the $300 range so I can sell the Peavey to cover the cost.

Thanks for any replies.

If you're playing bedroom levels - get a small digital amp like a Yamaha THX or something similar. You'll get better results at very low volumes than with just about any tube amp.

It's way out of your budget, but my Mesa Boogie Lonestar Special combo sounds great at low volumes and completely amazing at higher volumes. It's best sounding tube amp I've used at low levels, but it's basically a $2000 amp. The beauty of the Mesa amp is that it is usable at any level ( the master volume and gain actually work well), whereas Fenders are not - you either hit the sweet spot or you're entire tone is shit.
I live alone in a somewhat large (1850 sq foot) home, so "bedroom level" is probably higher than for a lot of players. I turn the stereo up to increasingly louder levels, go out about 60 feet to the street to try to hear it with the front door closed and, if I can, that's my max volume.

I'll have a look at the Laney. I was watching Youtube videos with the Fender Super Champ XD, the Marshall Class5, the Vox AC4 and the Blackstar. In the videos, the Fender sounded closest to what I like, but that's in a compressed video recorded with who-knows-what-gear, and played through a soundcard into some cheap headphones.

I'll head over to Guitar Center and see if they have any of those to test.
Quote by paul.housley.7
First thought - see if you can track down a Fender Vibrochamp hybrid.

Edit: Superchamp too. That's a higher wattage version of the vibrochamp.
I know that hybrid modelers don't work for everyone, but that one is really good and particularly good at doing those Fender sounds that you seem to enjoy.

Aside from those two - I think you'll want to be in under 10 watt range. Off the top of my head :
Vox AC4
Jet City Picovalve
Fender 600
H&K Tubemeister 5
Marshall JCM-1 (actually I think there's three different versions of those)
Blackstar HT1

If you're brave and willing to try an amp that may have been built by a first time hobbyist, there's a common circuit called the Firefly. It seems like a cool little amp.

For all the flack the H&K tubemeister 5 gets, whether its deserved or not, man do I love it. It's a great bedroom amp and it can hold its own live too.

I really did not like the AC4, it just plain didn't sound good to me.

It's a shame you're parting with the Classic, it's a great little amp!
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
I don't think that a new amp is the solution.

Have you thought of putting an EQ pedal after the guitar (before everything else)? It would shape the tone of the guitar only, so you could taylor the sound of the pickup to your liking.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
If you liked the Fender the most maybe take a look at the Blues Jr.

The Class5 is pretty much a clean amp with a touch of great when you push it, so you'll have to get more tonal options from what you plug in front of it. It is a very nice clean and dynamic amp though, when you plug in the words that come to mind first are "quality". I use it as a clean tone canvas for my pedal rig or even when I play through my Boss GT-10 processor.
The Laney LC15 is a "vibey" amp - great blues reverb, very soulful can dial in quite a bit of grit for AC/DC like crunch but the clean is really good on it too.

I'll go on a limb and suggest a few slightly different options as well
The Zvex was very popular and sold in music chains and very well in the catalogs (MF, ZZounds, etc.) before all the popular amp makers started building small amps. It is a very versatile amp and when I tried it I was impressed. I just was looking for a big tube head at the time. Might be worth a look:
http://www.zvexamps.com/amp_view.html

Also I'll suggest some "modeling" amps, and these are solid state all analog chain modeling amps:

Tech21 TM30 - amazing "everything", great clean Fender emulation, Marshall and Mesa voicing emulation. One of my favorite small gig amps. I own a lot of Tech21 gear in pedals which do the same thing through any amp, and that's why I never picked it up but it is simply amazing, quality through and through.

DV Mark Little Jazz Guitar Combo Amp - kinda Fender-esque clean jazz amp, been getting a lot of positive press lately, especially with jazz guys

I also found this article that suggest a few other options, I forgot the Kustom Defender, it is actually a really sweet clean Fender-esque tube amp, worth a look as suggested in this article. I played it and was impressed.

The Mooer looks interesting as well:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuOBuDN89L0

Good luck, let us know what you end up.
Last edited by diabolical at Dec 24, 2015,
Thanks for all of the replies. I went to a couple of shops in the "big city" near me, Guitar Center and a smaller independent store. They had the Fender Super Champ, the Fender Blues Junior, a Mesa Boogie model, a Vox Night Train, and a new model Vox the name of which I can't remember. Of all of them, I liked the Vox Night Train the best, but it still doesn't sound as good as my Peavey (I compared the Peavey to the others in the store).

A possible solution, which for some reason never hit me before, is to add some wiring to the Peavey so I can use the Weber attenuator on it.

I'm going to continue to look and listen, so maybe some of the models mentioned above will show up at one of the stores.
Replying to my own reply. I'm lonely.

I don't think any of the amps is going to work with this guitar. The lithium pickups have just too much output, and are too hot. I bought the guitar from Carvin under their ten-day return policy. I told them I intended to return it and, if I liked it, custom order the color and features I want. I'm going to try another Carvin with traditional alnico magnet pickups and see how that sounds. These are apparently made for contemporary metal sound, and not vintage rock or blues.
Why don't you swap pickups? Or as i said earlier about running an eq out front.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I would try a MXR EQ first like mentioned , you can turn it down with the EQ and not lose your sound
I'll look at the MXR EQ and others. I've been thinking about it for awhile. I don't know that an EQ would help with the lithium pickups, as they also have a tone I don't care for. The question now is whether the C22 or M22 pickups have a tone I don't like. I don't want to spend $2400 on a guitar that's going to lose half its value as soon as it ships, and I don't like its sound.