I started learning electric guitar a couple months ago and have started to lose interest. I just sold my electric guitar today and will be returning my amp for a refund tomorrow. I just didn't want that much money tied up in something I was getting frustrated with and losing interest in.

With that said I'm not ready to completely give up on guitar yet and would like to pickup an inexpensive acoustic guitar to try and learn on. My max budget would be $200 and I'm not against buying used. Ive read great reviews on the Yamaha FG700s and am leaning that way, but, before I buy it are there any other models that are comparable for less money? Also, I found an epiphone PR-150 for $80, I know its not a solid top but what are the opinions on it. I know Epi's get a bad rap but I've owned 2 epiphone electrics that were great.

If you were in my shoes (beginner who is kinda losing interest but not fully ready to give up), what Acoustic guitar would you buy?

Thanks
Last edited by bevans555 at Dec 23, 2015,
Just saw GC has the Yamaha F335 on sale for $99... gets good reviews on the site but has laminate spruce top, but is half the price of the FG700s.... Anyone have experience with it?
Quote by bevans555
I started learning electric guitar a couple months ago and have started to lose interest. I just sold my electric guitar today and will be returning my amp for a refund tomorrow. I just didn't want that much money tied up in something I was getting frustrated with and losing interest in.
What makes you think an acoustic will hold your interest?

Quote by bevans555
With that said I'm not ready to completely give up on guitar yet and would like to pickup an inexpensive acoustic guitar to try and learn on. My max budget would be $200 and I'm not against buying used. Ive read great reviews on the Yamaha FG700s and am leaning that way, but, before I buy it are there any other models that are comparable for less money? Also, I found an epiphone PR-150 for $80, I know its not a solid top but what are the opinions on it. I know Epi's get a bad rap but I've owned 2 epiphone electrics that were great.

If you were in my shoes (beginner who is kinda losing interest but not fully ready to give up), what Acoustic guitar would you buy?

Thanks
Well, the Yamaha FG-700 would carry you further into the future The either of the other models you mentioned, by virtue of its solid top. For me, all laminated instruments don't retain their resonance very long, and the resonance they have is mostly supplied by the strings.

They have a purpose though. If you're trying to get a chunky rhythm style without too much overlapping sustain, or you're having feedback issues, laminate tops are a good go to solution. You can also wail on a lammy without over-driving it, and they're much more likely to survive poor treatment, especially with respect to humidity, high or low.

As for Epiphone acoustics getting a bad rap, I have 2 EJ-200-SCE's, and they're superb.

For what it is, a $100.00 beater, the Epi DR-100 (and/or Dr-150) has a lot of fans as well.

As to therapy for your guitar playing doldrums, we charge extra for that type of special issue. Or, your could try the, "guitar techniques" sub forum.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Dec 23, 2015,
Quote by Captaincranky
What makes you think an acoustic will hold your interest?

It's not that I think an acoustic will hold my interest... I just know it wont be "as" stressfull for me while I'm learning and terrible, knowing that I only have $100-$200 invested in it. Right now I have a $400 amp and had a $500 guitar and like now, when I'm not picking up on things as quickly as I think I should and I'm wanting to quit, all I can think about is how I have $900 tied up in this hobby that I suck at. It's really all about money and stress... I hate feeling like I'm wasting money.... I think eliminating that extra stress will help me continue to try and learn guitar and make it more fun.
I will go to GC in the morning to try both the FG700s and F335 as well as some others but right now I'm thinking hard about pulling the trigger on the F335... My reason is its only $99, gets good reviews and if I do stick with this hobby for a year then I could easily sell it for $50 and then upgrade to a nice guitar. Even if I couldnt sell it I'd only be out $100.

So has anyone got any first hand experience with the F335?
Last edited by bevans555 at Dec 23, 2015,
Quote by bevans555
...[ ]....So has anyone got any first hand experience with the F335?
Personally no. But, one of our experienced members has said the 335 is one of the better starter guitars out there.

As far as "picking it up quickly" goes, that's pretty much all state of mind. I imagine most of us here have realized super stardom is out of reach. I have, and I play for what I can do, not what I can't.

Playing the guitar isn't anywhere as easy as it looks, and certain people are just gifted beyond what anyone actually deserves. I have a grand old time, strumming along with songs on a new album I bought, or playing stuff I grew up with. So can you.
Quote by bevans555

Thanks

Yamaha makes by far the best acoustic guitars under $500.00. The important thing is to get one with good action, intonation and that stays in tune.
A 100 dollar acoustic is going to be a lot harder to play than a 500 dollar electric. I don't see this boosting your self confidence in any way. I would stick with the electric if you still have it. My first acoustic about killed my drive because it was cheap and hard to play.
ESP Iron Cross Sig model, Fernandes RetroRocket Sunburst, Taylor 214CE, Peavey XXX Super 40, DimeBag Crybaby from Hell, Zakk Wylde Overdrive, MXR Chorus, and a Flashback Delay and Looper.
I picked up the F335 and I'm loving it. Sounds great to my ears and No buzz anywhere. I 100% think I made the right choice.

Thanks for the help.
Attachments:
IMG_0565.JPG
Spend 30-50 bucks on a cheap guitar, if you still play it after 3 months then invest in a nice guitar.

Spending any more than that on a budget guitar kinda leaves you with a larger dent in the wallet on something meant to gauge interest.
Quote by reverb66
Yamaha makes by far the best acoustic guitars under $500.00. The important thing is to get one with good action, intonation and that stays in tune.

Nope. I'll not only argue your comment "by FAR the best acoustic guitars under $500", I'll go further and say they aren't even CLOSE to making the best acoustic under $500. Never heard a Yamaha acoustic under $500 that sounded as good as my Seagull ...or my Taylor BigBaby for that matter. Yamaha is a bit overrated, imo. Also...is it just me or do all Yamaha acoustics seem to have high action? I've yet to play one that had action the way I like it (low). I realize action can be set...but why should I pay $50-100 to fix something that should have been okay leaving the factory?

@OP: look for a used Baby Taylor or Taylor BigBaby. You can get them for $150-200 used and they'll blow away anything in the price range. You can go cheaper if you want but the quality won't be as good as on a Taylor.
Quote by Blicer
Spend 30-50 bucks on a cheap guitar, if you still play it after 3 months then invest in a nice guitar.

Spending any more than that on a budget guitar kinda leaves you with a larger dent in the wallet on something meant to gauge interest.

Yes, you can get good guitars at that price, but beware bad neck angles!!! IMO, nothing will discourage a beginner more than a high action that might not be fixable with a basic set up

I think really cheap guitars, both electric and acoustic, are for experienced modders/fixers, not inexperienced beginners. - Like cheap cars.
Why don't you three just wish the guy a "Happy New Guitar Day"?
Quote by bevans555
I picked up the F335 and I'm loving it. Sounds great to my ears and No buzz anywhere. I 100% think I made the right choice.

Thanks for the help.
And don't forget to say, "you're welcome".
Last edited by Captaincranky at Dec 25, 2015,
I missed it too. Usually I start at the top of a thread and work my way down, probably best to just read the whole thing. A bad habit.

Grats on the guitar bevans, hope it makes you stick with playing.
People usually say to start with something cheap, but I don't think that's good. They sound bad, they go out of tune quickly and are unreliable. I'd suggest going to the max with your budget. Spend 200 on a used guitar. Get one from a friend that you know is reliable, if possible. A bad guitar is a good way to turn you off from the hobby.
Yahama FG700. Great guitar reliable, and it never goes out of tune. I would recommend adding a pickup like a K&K pure mini to make it more versatile.