Page 1 of 2
I haven't actively used the forums on Ultimate Guitar in quite a few years, and recently decided to check them out again. I noticed that most of them are locked out, and the ones that aren't locked out are full of threads that are bizarre attempts at communication or creativity at best. What did I miss out on here? I could be wrong, but I feel like I remember the Pit to be fairly lively with at least somewhat lively discussions or content, but now it just seems lazy and unimaginative.
Internet forums in general are pretty much an outdated thing.
Fossils of the internet if you will
Yeah, it's pretty much just descended into boring dystopia at the moment......
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
idk about the pit, but i do know the daffodils look lovely today
will someone carry me across ten thousand miles under the silence
Quote by EyeNon15
Internet forums in general are pretty much an outdated thing.
Fossils of the internet if you will

But what about websites such as reddit?
Quote by Daffodil Lament
But what about websites such as reddit?

Idk, I've only heard about it.

From what I've heard reddit is just as lame and uncreative as what's going on here.
reddit has a broader range of topics and the format creates more anonymity (like we have avatars and user titles and stuff) so people can be more comfortable talking about anything there

like the only people who are gonna see this forum are people looking at guitar tabs, and that narrows the population a good deal

and reddit has popularity features which promotes user activity
Quote by EyeNon15

From what I've heard reddit is just as lame and uncreative as what's going on here.

I can't verify whether or not that statement is true, but I will say that the website is at least more active than this one.
Quote by EyeNon15

reddit is way worse

It's the enemy of a reasonable attention span
My God, it's full of stars!
Probably because this is more of a niche site.
Pretty much everybody is here because of guitar.
Which I like, I've said before most musicians are just naturally cool and don't take stuff like internet trolling too seriously.
This site is barely moderated and still nobody really gets too wild with threatening to kill each other and not too much racist rants or feminazi bullshit.
Quote by Dreadnought
reddit is way worse

It's the enemy of a reasonable attention span

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with you, but have you even looked at the threads on this forum?
i had a dream the other night where i was talking with someone about how sinead oconnor should've been the frontwoman for the cranberries instead of dolores oriordan. like oriordan has the more aggressive voice, but oconnor has the personality and better songwriting

i genuinely really hope they do a duet one day
Quote by Baby Joel
i had a dream the other night where i was talking with someone about how sinead oconnor should've been the frontwoman for the cranberries instead of dolores oriordan. like oriordan has the more aggressive voice, but oconnor has the personality and better songwriting

I would definitely listen to that
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
And everything must pass
Quote by Daffodil Lament
I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with you, but have you even looked at the threads on this forum?

No, I have never looked at the threads on this forum

Just blame Baby Joel.
kinda weird with sinead and dolores as well. sinead has been much more vocal about her problems, but seems to be more stable now (for the most part). dolores kept her issues totally secret, and then completely broke down randomly and has kinda been really underwraps since then cause she suddenly has all this baggage she has to get through. really sad for her, but i'm glad she's getting help.

sorry for ruining ug
Quote by Dreadnought
No, I have never looked at the threads on this forum

Just blame Baby Joel.

I wasn't being serious about the question I asked you. Obviously I realize by your colors that you are a moderator. So I ask my question again, what happened to the forums here? And I have a second question: When did it happen?
Last edited by Daffodil Lament at Dec 23, 2015,
I think perhaps you have rose colored glasses.

We have plenty of good discussions here when there is a topic that warrants it and interested users. Happens pretty often.

It's the same old same old, really
Quote by Dreadnought

We have plenty of good discussions here when there is a topic that warrants it and interested users. Happens pretty often.

You might be right. Maybe I was feeling nostalgia for this website and was disappointed to find out it was not what I remembered, or perhaps I just out grew it.
I think the "forums are a relic of the past" thing is probably about right. I've been apart of several Forum boards for 10-15 years and all are either shutdown, deserted, or move at a snail's pace. Most people get their fix from social media, especially the kids that have grown up with Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Reddit, etc from early childhood. UG and other forums are much too focused on a singular topic, whereas Reddit and all that mess is all-encompassing. One exception is NeoGAF, but even that is probably down considerably from 5 or so years ago.

Oh, and it doesnn't help that guitar music is dead.
Last edited by pugachev at Dec 23, 2015,
Quote by pugachev
I think the "forums are a relic of the past" thing is probably about right. I've been apart of several Forum boards for 10-15 years and all are either shutdown, deserted, or move at a snail's pace. Most people get their fix from social media, especially the kids that have grown up with Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Reddit, etc from early childhood. UG and other forums are much too focused on a singular topic, whereas Reddit and all that mess is all-encompassing. One exception is NeoGAF, but even that is probably down considerably from 5 or so years ago.

Another interesting point. Perhaps I am just nostalgic for this website. Thanks for the insight!

Quote by pugachev
Oh, and it doesnn't help that guitar music is dead.

I have to say though, it is pretty naive of you to outright say that guitar music is dead.
Last edited by Daffodil Lament at Dec 23, 2015,
I get nostalgic for older sites I used to frequent....

I wonder if my Neopets are still alive?
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
And everything must pass
Quote by Baby Joel

wait its a play on op's name

i thought you had/saw daffodils

i like flowers
The Pit seems to be the only part of this site that moves. I remember there used to be a lot more posting else where.

Forums were at their peak in 2004 IMO. Then Facebook changed things.

Don't let your boat be empty, don't be a sunken dream
Don't let the boat regret thee, for what you could have seen

Quote by Blayney
The Pit seems to be the only part of this site that moves. I remember there used to be a lot more posting else where.

Forums were at their peak in 2004 IMO. Then Facebook changed things.

I had a look at some of the guitar specific forums on this site not long ago,

It was like peering into a mausoleum
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
And everything must pass
I still check in on some of the other subforums, like musician talk. They still get a little traffic and there are still users like myself that frequent them, but we mostly just answer the couple of questions that come in a day. It's kinda rare that a good conversation pops up, but it does still happen. I think the regulars just don't have much to talk about anymore relating to the specific forum since we've all hashed out most of the relevant topics many times, so we just answer questions and wait for someone to think of something interesting to talk about.
Quote by Baby Joel

https://timhawthorn.bandcamp.com/track/lowlands
we all grew up and fell out of love

now there is only sadness
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
initially, it was all old people and kids until like 2005ish when those old people left because family/work/life/etc

a huge influx of kids came in because internet wasn't totally for anxious dorks anymore and guitars were cool again for a bit

so then it was dumb kids spamming for a while

then those kids grew up and some left because family/work/life/moving on from reminders of dumb kid times

and no new kids came in because proper social media sites had taken off, so now it's just old spammers left who can't let go of their old crap and kids who grew up and try and act their age (usually)

edit: or tl;dr "stfu noob"
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
I think this website is awesome, I just struggle to have fun talking about music because this website is full of opinionated people that would rather disagree than to become a team
i like reddit. i avoided it and made fun of it for many years, until last year when someone finally got me to visit there, and i realized that for all of the shitty people and shitty subreddits there are just as many awesome people and awesome subreddits.
there's something there for everyone, even if you don't want to post and join discussions. just cool shit to see and learn.

Quote by theguitarist at #33744061
and kids who grew up and try and act their age (usually)

idk my experience with people in their early 20s, not just here but pr much everywhere on the internet, is that they never try and act their age.

they either make a bunch of dumb high-school-tier threads or they complain about how old they are/are getting/feel, like a bunch of 40 year olds.
reddit has something on everything and usually before everyone else so I check there if it's something new that no one has gotten around to writing up a wiki or something for. I just really hate the layout and the lack of real identity behind comments, easy to lose people in all the ranking and the upvote/downvote thing is just aggravating when it comes to proper discussions. I prefer having a debate laid out clearly, historically back and forth between people, even if that comes with idiot opinions sprinkled throughout.

but spamming comments for internet points will always be a draw (working off psychological reward mechanisms or some shit). I can only hope ug doesn't get desperate and try and apply that shit to the forums (comments are fair enough cause they are short and shitty pretty much all the time and then we can go "take it to forums if you wanna talk about it properly")
O.K.

~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Quote by institutions
i like reddit. i avoided it and made fun of it for many years, until last year when someone finally got me to visit there, and i realized that for all of the shitty people and shitty subreddits there are just as many awesome people and awesome subreddits.
there's something there for everyone, even if you don't want to post and join discussions. just cool shit to see and learn.

idk my experience with people in their early 20s, not just here but pr much everywhere on the internet, is that they never try and act their age.

they either make a bunch of dumb high-school-tier threads or they complain about how old they are/are getting/feel, like a bunch of 40 year olds.

I have noticed many kids on this site act very immature
Quote by Baby Joel

BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Quote by Dreadnought

yup. same old same old, just with a smaller user base.
who the fuck is seeing daffodils in december

what is this shit.
O.K.

~ Bill Watterson

O__o
oh yeah ofc i don't want UG to turn into Reddit or anything
i just wanted to mention that i actually like Reddit even tho i had hated on it and avoided it for so many years, since it was mentioned on the first page :p
Page 1 of 2