Hey,

I'd have preferred to drop this in the related forum but as a newb, i can only post here...sorry! The music that I play uses very sudden changes from cleans, to heavily distorted tones, and the stuff i have at the moment isnt cutting it for me. The music is a bit of a mash of grunge, with radiohead-esque stuff thrown in to the mix.

I wondered if any of you guys would have any recommendations for amps, seeing as my research was running into some brick walls. I'm looking for an amp that I can run very clean and loud, but also a heavily distorted option. I looked at combining a dual reverb with an ibanez tk999ht tube king pedal to try and do this....BUT, I'm a little unconvinced by this for a rig. I'm a massive fan of amp based distortion, and am also slightly concerned that given the sheer headroom on the dual, i wont be able to push it with the pedal to some power amp distortion without radically increasing the volume from the clean tone.

I'd be fine with just A/B switching from a loud clean to a distorted amp, and in terms of price, short of ridiculous boutique stuff, I'd rather see what gear people come up with! The guitar would be a fender am deluxe hss strat, and a sg standard 2013.

Thanks so much for your help!!
Mesa
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by Cajundaddy
Mesa

So a dual rectifier or something like that? In terms of feasibility, that does seem perfect, I'm a little sceptical of its sound though. Is there anything a little more Brit that would anccomplish the same job?
Give some more detail if you wish to get some useful detail. Post a few vids of your favorite players and the sound you are going for so we have a clue. Otherwise it is just a vast ocean of hundreds of amp possibilities. Where you live and $$ budget are also important if you are interested in things you can use. Bedroom player, pub gigs, touring musician? This forum works pretty well if you get very real about what you are looking for.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Dec 26, 2015,