Page 1 of 2
Am I the only one that stresses out day to day about the struggle of becoming a professional musician? What is preventing you from achieving your dreams? What resources do you need? Are you up to par with where you need to be, on a personal level, lets say chops, influences, mindset, are you digging deep enough? Do you even want to be a professional musician? Are there other things you would rather do?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWjGhZt4Dsk

Some inspiration if you are anything like me and like watching people shred
Are all of your threads veiled excuses to post music you want people to know you listen to?

Idk i've never been serious about music and don't play very often.
It's always been and always will be purely a fun, time-wasting hobby to me.
I would like to get really good at bass, of course. I just don't have the discipline or patience.
i dunno, i love writing music but it isn't something i want to pursue professionally. this is going to sound stupid but writing music is my creative outlet and my way of dealing with shitty emotions (and maybe not-shitty emotions too i guess?). it's something i enjoy a whole lot, but not something that i want to stake my livelihood on.

as for my chops being up to par, i'm happy with my skills as a player. i can't shred or anything like that, but i don't want to (and i'm a decent enough guitarist otherwise i think). my mindset is that if i can take the ideas i have in my head and play them on the guitar, that's what matters. i don't need to be able to shred if that isn't what my music calls for.
I treat it as a side business that will take a long time to grow into a hefty income.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
garbage bag that's already decomposed in a rubbish dump.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Its always been a dream to make a sustainable living off guitar playing, but it's almost impossible to do so. Even if you do absolutely everything right, you're still probably not going to make it. It matters too much to be in exactly at the right place at the right time to bet my livelihood on it.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Quote by institutions
Are all of your threads veiled excuses to post music you want people to know you listen to?

Idk i've never been serious about music and don't play very often.
It's always been and always will be purely a fun, time-wasting hobby to me.
I would like to get really good at bass, of course. I just don't have the discipline or patience.

Do you really think I have the time and patience to scheme like that? I literally typed what I typed, read it and before I could hit post thread, I remembered how awesome I thought that video was, because I watched it last night, and thought what if someone in the pit would love this as much as I did? Maybe it could inspire them like it inspired me. So I posted it.

I'm as serious about music as I am with all things in my life. It's fun.
Quote by Jon777
i dunno, i love writing music but it isn't something i want to pursue professionally. this is going to sound stupid but writing music is my creative outlet and my way of dealing with shitty emotions (and maybe not-shitty emotions too i guess?). it's something i enjoy a whole lot, but not something that i want to stake my livelihood on.

as for my chops being up to par, i'm happy with my skills as a player. i can't shred or anything like that, but i don't want to (and i'm a decent enough guitarist otherwise i think). my mindset is that if i can take the ideas i have in my head and play them on the guitar, that's what matters. i don't need to be able to shred if that isn't what my music calls for.

That's wonderful. Think of it this way. People want to hear a musician write music that expresses an emotion or series of thoughts in an accurate, articulate manor. It doesn't matter what they are, they just have to be simple and organized. If you have that talent, the talent to express yourself and make sense of the universe, you have a talent that is sought after and people will pay you money to experience your ideas. That is the goal as a musician. The point of having chops is to express the ideas you have that require them. Chops just to show off are useless IMO, you might as well play sports, cuz that's where dexterity is directly appreciated.

I say go for it. We are just artists and art is always going to survive.
Quote by Xiaoxi
I treat it as a side business that will take a long time to grow into a hefty income.

Do you compose your own music or just cover Bach songs? It would be cool to hear you make music similar to mine. The approach of Conlon Nancarrow. Use technology to perform music that would be extremely difficult to perform organically. Take a popular genre usually directed by musicians with a arbitrarily small grasp of music theory and turn it into something amazing.
well like many i wanted to be a rock star. back when i started that was at least a possibility which has all but vanished these days. did the band thing but finding the right people gear etc proved to be an issue. at this point to old to be anything but a weekend warrior. have to accept that.
I'd be happy to pursue music as a career more than anything but I'd rather feel secure in being able to pay the bills. I hope it'll stay as a hobby with me for the rest of my life.
Free Ali
Quote by institutions

guilty
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
Do you compose your own music or just cover Bach songs? It would be cool to hear you make music similar to mine. The approach of Conlon Nancarrow. Use technology to perform music that would be extremely difficult to perform organically. Take a popular genre usually directed by musicians with a arbitrarily small grasp of music theory and turn it into something amazing.

I'm of the belief that the music should transcend the technicality. When I make music I don't think about how technical it needs to be, only what needs to be expressed.

But anyways, that doesn't matter, that topic is so minuscule in the grand scheme of a music career. Whether you like it or not, you have to treat it as a business.

Now think about this... Business A offers 1 service only. Business B offers what A offers plus a multitude of others that make a comprehensive suite of services. Which one do you think will make more money?

If you want to be a musician, you're going to have to do much more than worry about how technical your guitar playing is.

I always like to bring up this anecdote from a working musician in LA: "90% of what I do involves going out, socializing, hanging out with people. The other 10% is music."

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
music should not be treated as a commodity, for it is art and art should be free to everyone
Check out my band Disturbed
One day I might make a youtube video and get like 50 or so views.
Ya know, the big time.
Quote by Xiaoxi
I'm of the belief that the music should transcend the technicality. When I make music I don't think about how technical it needs to be, only what needs to be expressed.

But anyways, that doesn't matter, that topic is so minuscule in the grand scheme of a music career. Whether you like it or not, you have to treat it as a business.

Now think about this... Business A offers 1 service only. Business B offers what A offers plus a multitude of others that make a comprehensive suite of services. Which one do you think will make more money?

If you want to be a musician, you're going to have to do much more than worry about how technical your guitar playing is.

I always like to bring up this anecdote from a working musician in LA: "90% of what I do involves going out, socializing, hanging out with people. The other 10% is music."

I am of the belief that there is a lot of music that hasn't been discovered yet, and techniques are a great way of digging up the ideas. Sometimes, things are impossible to play as a mortal human being. That doesnt mean we have to discredit the musical idea. My music might seem like music composed to show off some sort of technical ambition of mine, but in reality, I am just trying to recreate my dreamland.

What all this has to do with me wanting to hear you make electronic music, i have no idea, but I think it would be cool to listen to. You like Bach for the same reason I strive to create the music I create. There's something holy about a perfect series of notes, kind of like a tree, something with a formula, but organic in nature at the same time. However, Bach doesnt really mess around with programmed drum beats in odd time signatures and polyrhythms, I think it's a lot of fun.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
I am of the belief that there is a lot of music that hasn't been discovered yet, and techniques are a great way of digging up the ideas. Sometimes, things are impossible to play as a mortal human being. That doesnt mean we have to discredit the musical idea. My music might seem like music composed to show off some sort of technical ambition of mine, but in reality, I am just trying to recreate my dreamland.
That's fine and all... I didn't say you can't produce things that are humanly unplayable. Plenty of electronic music is "unplayable". You don't need to think of it as being technical.

What all this has to do with me wanting to hear you make electronic music, i have no idea, but I think it would be cool to listen to.
I don't know where you got the impression that I make electronic music

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
My point was never to produce unplayable music, like I said, my point is to create music that trips me out. Why do people have to bring up technicality? When I say hey check out this song in 13/5, it isnt me saying hey look everyone I can be technical, praise me, it is, hey, check out this song in 13/5, it's trips me out, maybe you will enjoy it too. But no, that never happens, everyone gets all defensive and posting music becomes a battle of whits.

I said I wanted to hear you make electronic music. As in you dont, and I would enjoy it if you did, as in, download fruity loops, and go at it with all the instruments you could ever imagine and make something non conventional. It could be cool.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
When I say hey check out this song in 13/5

Weren't you the guy who said he made a song in 4/5?
I wanted to become a session player, but I don't have the chops or reliability in playing. So instead I'm going to piss off a lot of guitar techs by becoming a piano tech and talking down to them only having to fiddle with string height and truss rods and wires and all that while I actually have to maintain more than 10 000 moving parts.

Elitism gone mad

Quote by That Old Geezer at #33744946

yep
he is
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
i'm not gonna be a professional musician so i don't worry about that stuff -- don't get me wrong i totally would be if someone for some reason wanted to throw money at my band, but it's not 1992, so that probably won't happen & i am just trying to get along without getting too deep into the clampdown.

xoxo
I'd be satisfied playing in shitty punk bands the rest of my life as long as I'm having fun. The allure of taking it more seriously is always there, but career.
last.fm[/url}
Probably just playing Dad rock at pubs and weddings mostly, mixed up with Tool covers here and there.
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
eh, just a hobby for me

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
oh hey i learned a new word

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
I have a vision of creating grand tonal experiments with an orchestra or at least a large ensemble but

in reality I'll probably be doing that with my own bedroom setup, on my own. I'd be happy w that too
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
My aim is to not sound anything like the awful trash music OP posted

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Quote by theguitarist
garbage bag that's already decomposed in a rubbish dump.

Probably. this.
A coffin and regular burial are far to expensive.
Quote by monwobobbo
well like many i wanted to be a rock star. back when i started that was at least a possibility which has all but vanished these days. did the band thing but finding the right people gear etc proved to be an issue. at this point to old to be anything but a weekend warrior. have to accept that.

The is TRULY the real key to success, if you wanna be a rock star or something near that level.

you could have talent and gear that would make both The Edge and Gilmour feel like useless paupers, but with out the SHEER LUCK of finding the right people, you ain't going anywhere.
Jimi Hendrix was famous because of luck? John McLaughlin, Tony MacAlpine, Buckethead, Greg, Howe, Yngwie Malmsteen, John Frusciante, Alan Holdsworth, Frank Gambale, Al Dimeola, Tosin Abasi, Synyster Gates, Paul Waggoner, Scott Henderson, Slash, Rhandy Rhoads, Jimmy Page, all these people only made it as a professional guitarist because of luck? I dont think so. I think everyone gets what they deserve.
Quote by Xiaoxi

How does this work?
Quote by That Old Geezer

I made a song that had each bar of music broken down into 20 1/16th notes. I expressed the beat as 4 1/5ths of a bar, then half way I flipped it to 5 1/4ths of a bar. It creates an irrational polymeter that everyone enjoys giving me shit for (:

https://totallytubular.bandcamp.com/track/020

track sounds like it is in 4/4 until the 2:00 mark, and then it sounds like it is in 5/4, but how can it be in both at the same time? The bpm doesnt change.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers at #33744728
Do you really think I have the time and patience to scheme like that? I literally typed what I typed, read it and before I could hit post thread, I remembered how awesome I thought that video was, because I watched it last night, and thought what if someone in the pit would love this as much as I did? Maybe it could inspire them like it inspired me. So I posted it.

I'm as serious about music as I am with all things in my life. It's fun.

Sorry man, didn't mean to make it sound as mean as it did lol.
I just found it humorous is all.
Page 1 of 2