"Metal" covers of non-metal songs are almost always terrible.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
^ True.

Metallica's versions of Am I Evil and Helpless are pretty good.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
^ I much prefer the original. When the "metal" part began, it ruined the feeling of the song. The beginning was fine, but that didn't really differ much from the original. The guitar soloing would have been cool and fit the song really well if the guitarist had played some more interesting licks but to me what he played just sounded boring.

It could have been done so much better - leave out the power metal part in the end and play some more interesting stuff on the guitar.

Ahh, listened to some more of this guy's stuff... Sounds like somebody who has the technique to play fast but just can't play musically.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Hmmm....

Fear Factory - Dog Day Sunrise
Type O Negative - Day Tripper
Marilyn Manson - Sweet Dreams & Personal Jesus... yeah, it's Manson, and they're a bit overplayed... but I think there's a reason for that... good covers they were!

I'm ashamed to admit I once found myself enthusiastically nodding my head to Korn's take on Another Brick In The Wall
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdGFE5HK39U

One of the few that actually pulls off the genre transition.
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
Body Count- 99 Problems
Heavy metal rules, all that punk shit sucks. It doesn’t belong in this world; it belongs on fuckin’ Mars, man! What the hell is punk shit?
Quote by MaggaraMarine
^ True.

Metallica's versions of Am I Evil and Helpless are pretty good.

I agree. Most of Garage Inc. was pretty good.

ron666
My top three:-

1. Whiplash- Motorhead
2. Am I Evil- Metallica
3. Anarchy In The UK- Megadeth
Quote by stefan_86
I really like Nevermore's take on "The Sound of Silence".

I don't know what I think of that. On the other hand, it's nice that they did it on their own terms without compromising their own sound. On the other hand, if you like the original song, that cover is going to make you cry blood.

I generally dislike cover songs as a whole. I usually just listen to the original if I want to hear the song. Xantochroids cover of Wintersuns "Land of Snow and Sorrow" is cool though, even though it's kind of the opposite of what this thread is about. It's a folk cover of a metal song.

EDIT: I'm physically incapable to spell "Xanthochroid" correctly.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
Last edited by Kevätuhri at Jan 7, 2016,
Quote by Kevätuhri
I don't know what I think of that. On the other hand, it's nice that they did it on their own terms without compromising their own sound. On the other hand, if you like the original song, that cover is going to make you cry blood.

I agree on both terms, don't see many S&G fans converting to Nevermore any time soon On that note, their covers of The Doors and The Tea Party are great too.