So I haven't been excited by anything I heard in the last year I'm looking for some pieces of music (doesn't have to be guitar music) that move you a lot and that you can listen to over and over.
I used to get obsessed about a single song and I would listen to it a million times until I got bored and moved to the next thing but I haven't been finding any new song that would to this to me, when I say new I mean new to me It can be made in the 40's idc

So I'd like you to share with me particular songs that move you a lot like your favorite songs I need a different influence so I can start composing music that is different from what I've been doing the last months.
please! thank you

some songs that did this for me:
golden brown by the stranglers
atc around the world
bad penny rory gallagher
I'm not awake yet rory gallagher
come with me puff daddy jimmy page
a lot of led zepp songs
matisyahu king without a crown
angie Bert jansch
ain't talking about love VH the intro only
Marylin manson sweet dreams and heart shaped glasses
Deep purple rat rat blue, smoke on the water
Jimi hendrix purple haze, a merman i turn out to be(or something like that), highway chile,
Voodo chile, All along the watchtower, hey joe.
Last edited by João1993 at Dec 25, 2015,
It's because you listen to boring dad rock. Try different genres. From my profile:

~~Bluegrass Recs~~

~~Proto Bluegrass* (needs more added)~~
Al Hopkins & The Hill Billies*
Jimmie Rodgers*
Monroe Brothers*

~~Traditional~~
Bill Monroe
Flatt & Scruggs
Lester Flatt & The Nashville Grass
Stanley Brothers
Ralph Stanley & The Clinch Mountain Boys
Lilly Brothers
(early) Osborne Brothers
Reno and Smiley
Mac Wiseman
Lonesome Pine Fiddlers
Jimmy Martin & The Sunny Mountain Boys

~~60s/70s Progressive~~
(electric mid 60s) Osborne Brothers
Bluegrass Alliance
The Seldom Scene
Country Gentlemen
(legit newgrass) Newgrass Revival
Muleskinner
Old and in the Way
Kentucky Colonels
The Dillards**
Poutníci***

~~80s and 90s Stuff~~
Johnson Mountain Boys
Tony Rice Unit
Rhonda Vincent
Doyle Lawson & Quicksilver
(goofy, poppy) Newgrass Revival
Béla Fleck & The Flecktones*
Ricky Skaggs & Kentucky Thunder
Nickel Creek*

~~Modern stuff~~
Yonder Mountain String Band
Greensky Bluegrass
Steep Canyon Rangers
Trampled by Turtles*
Old Crow Medicine Show*
Old Man Markley*
Kruger Brothers*

I'll give you some country, metal, and world music recs later. I'm sure somebody here can give you some jazz or funk recs.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Last edited by theogonia777 at Dec 25, 2015,
I guess i'll do some personal jazz favorites.

Benny Goodmans Orchestra
Duke Ellington Big Band
Count Baise Big Band
Glenn Miller Big Band
Artie Shaw Big Band
Charlie Barnet Big Band

Great Pianists (from traditional to modern, in no particular order):
Bud Powell
Oscar Peterson
Brad Mehldau
Esbjörn Svensson
Bill Evans
Horace Silver
Lennie Tristano
Thelonious Monk
Charles Mingus (also bass)
Herbie Hancock
Chick Corea
McCoy Tyner
Robert Glasper
Tigran Hamasyan
Aaron Parks
Keith Jarrett

Saxophone (Alto/Tenor/Whatever)

Cannonball Adderley
Gene Ammons
Anthony Braxton
Michael Brecker
Ornette Coleman
John Coltrane
Paul Desmond
Stan Getz
Dexter Gordon
Johnny Griffin
Joe Henderson
Lee Konitz
Dave Liebman
Joe Lovano
Oliver Nelson
Charlie Parker
Joshua Redman
Chris Potter
Wayne Shorter
Sonny Stitt
Mark Turner
Sonny Rollins

Guitar:
Mike Moreno
Jonathan Kreisberg
Pat Metheny
Kurt Rosenwinkel
Lage Lund
Julian Lage
Gilad Hekselman
Adam Rogers
Ben Monder

I'll give you more recommendations later, and add more to the guitar section.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Jim Hall, Joe Pass, Grant Green, Charlie Christian, and of course Django Reinhardt come to mind for guitar. George Van Eps, Bucky Pizzarelli, and John Pizzarelli are great to check out if you want to hear 7 string used in jazz.

Lee Morgan is probably my favorite Jazz trumpeter and Louis Armstrong is a classic. Paul Chambers (bass) did an excellent solo album called Bass on Top. Also an interesting listen is A Very Still Life, which was recorded by Jack Kevorkian, the infamous euthanasist, who was also a talented jazz flutist and still life painter.

Also check out the country/jazz duets done on guitar and steel by Jimmy Bryant and Speedy West as well as those of Danny Gatton and Buddy Emmons.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
I was gounna give recs but tbh listen to everything Theo lists
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
There are also big rec threads in the Punk and Metal subforums in Bands and Artists.

For world music, King Sunny Adé and Féla Kuti are good starters, being the biggest innovators of two major styles of modern Nigerian music, Jújù and Afrobeat, respectively. Antibalas and The Budos Band are two modern Afrobeat bands that are worth checking out. The former is much more like Féla while the latter fuses Afrobeat with Sabbath and Pentagram influence.

For Mali, you can't go wrong with anybody from the Diabaté family, particularly Sidiki, Toumani, or Madou. Ballaké and Djelimady Sissoko are also worth checking out, as are the great Malian blues guitarists Ali Farka Touré and his son Vieux Farka Touré. Vincent Segal is a big collaborator of Ballaké and Vieux, and an excellent musicIan in his own right.
my one suggestion:

"Ode to Viceroy" by Mac DeMarco

I'm in a band and we just play your average, run-of-the-mill classic rock: ac/dc, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Black Sabbath.

I wanted something different and out there to add to our list of covers and I picked this song. It's very easy to learn and pretty simple, but was a breath of fresh air for everyone.
and harry doesn't mind if he doesn't make the scene
Rec threads for metal, hardcore, pop punk, and ska:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1388287
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=884370
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112995
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=686820

Between what Sickz and I posted, plus those threads, that's a couple hundred artists and thousands of albums. There has to be something in some of that that you like.

I'll throw in a few Irish punk recs as well:

The Pogues
Dropkick Murphys
Flogging Molly
The Young Dubliners
The Mahones
The Rumjacks
The Tossers
The Bloody Irish Boys
Blood or Whiskey
Mr Irish Bastard
Orthodox Celts
Bastard Bearded Irishmen
Hi, hope everyone had a good Christmas. I'm probably the best guy to ask about unusual music. I'd suggest checking out some video game music (I especially like Kingdom Hearts, Final Fantasy, Smash Bros, Blazblue, and Metal Gear) but I've decided not to post that kind of thing. Instead here are a few suggestions of mine for exciting and unusual music.

First there's "When You're Evil" by Voltaire. Voltaire is a mediocre guitarist but excellent at catchy yet somewhat dark melodies and lyrics that are often witty. This is probably one of his most well known songs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWYCS6k1IOA

"Just Gold" by Mandopony. I know it's a FNAF fan-song but it's very interesting and well made. I've been slightly addicted to it for quite a while and even learned to play it. Just listen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhJGXzOE5fQ

For some old-school there's "21st Century Schizoid Man" by King Crimson. It's a strange but classic piece of 1969 Prog-Rock and very awesome.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnQATA2jPXY

Sabaton is a power metal band from Sweden who performs great songs about historical battles in European history. Here's their song, "Stalingard". Note: not that unusual but still really cool.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMI1g8dovQ0

I think that's enough for now but I could probably think of lots more. Have a nice day ...
"I don't know what you're trying to suggest. There's no shame in taking what you need to hold your position!"

Super Buu (DBZ) on assimilation (it could also apply to blues guitar and guitar soloing in general).
For newer music, I have been hooked on Johnny A for the past couple of years. His playing and tone is one one of the best I have ever heard. His stuff almost sounds simple but isn't. Except for his most recent CD he plays ultra clean and he generally goes directly to the mixing board, no amp, no effects. I recommend his "Oh Yeah" CD.

For older recordings I suggest one of the most obvious, Les Paul and Mary Ford. Mary's beautifully layered harmonies are amazing and the quick licks Les inserts around Mary's vocals are a lesson in how to do tasty fills and not get in the way of the vocal. Just pick up a cheap "Best of Les Paul and Mary Ford" CD. Like Johnny A, Les plugged directly into a small mixer (no guitar amps on his recordings) and remember when you are listening that it's just Les and Mary in their home or hotel room using two original Ampex reel to reel decks. No other players or singers are involved. Just layered (sound on sound) recordings done by the two of them. The amazing guitar playing combined with the awesome vocals and harmonies are a lesson in the history of recording combined with some great melodies and arrangements. It's easy to see why so many guitar players and singers get so passionate about Les and Mary's recordings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IRetoeEecc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCTm1TcL7z8
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Dec 26, 2015,
@RonaldPoe
If you like the music to the Metal Gear Solid games, definitely check out The Martian original score. It's by the same composer, Harry Gregson-Williams and I think it's definitely in the same vein. Awesome music.
Based on the songs you've listed, I'd be surprised if you actually give this a shot. If your a guitarist (and I don't mean the kind of guitarist who can play the acoustic versions of popular songs at a party), you might appreciate guitar work from technical death metal / metal and progressive metal. You'll find a lot of killer guitar work employed on those genres.

Try Obscura, Blotted Science, Necrophagist, Wintersun, Opeth, The Faceless, Beyond Creation, Inferi, Daath, Symphony X..

Not sure how the growls will settle with you but if you have an open mind you'll definately enjoy the guitar work and everything else.
Hey Man, that sounds terrible and sad. I undertsand that music nowadays often seems boring or soul-less since it's mostly based on catchyness and poor songwriting...but im sure that there will always be good music. I dont know if you are into Singer/Songwriters or anything like that but if you listen to my last single (link below) and you like it and it restores your faith in music i could die happily. There will always be a place for interesting ideas, songwriting and so on.
I hope i could cheer you up a little, good luck, Johnny.

https://play.spotify.com/album/6fBdkBA7rXxcdNMtAecFMd
Decent band i've been listening to lately, called 'Hands Off Gretel'. Still yet to see them play live, but wow, fucking love them already.
Grunge/punk/rock from Yorkshire UK.

Hands Off Gretel - My Size

Hands Off Gretel - One Eyed Girl

Hands Off Gretel - Be Mine
This thread is considered closed. Please consider the age of the thread before posting. Threads older than 6 months old, if not active or a sticky, will be closed if bumped.