Hey,

I posted this in the newb forum, but am reposting here, as is probably a better source for this. The music that I play uses very sudden changes from cleans, to heavily distorted tones, and the stuff i have at the moment isnt cutting it for me. The music is a bit of a mash of grunge, with radiohead-esque stuff thrown in to the mix.

I wondered if any of you guys would have any recommendations for amps, seeing as my research was running into some brick walls. I'm looking for an amp that I can run very clean and loud, but also a heavily distorted option. I looked at combining a dual reverb with an ibanez tk999ht tube king pedal to try and do this....BUT, I'm a little unconvinced by this for a rig. I'm a massive fan of amp based distortion, and am also slightly concerned that given the sheer headroom on the dual, i wont be able to push it with the pedal to some power amp distortion without radically increasing the volume from the clean tone.

I'd be fine with just A/B switching from a loud clean to a distorted amp, and in terms of price, short of ridiculous boutique stuff, I'd rather see what gear people come up with! The guitar would be a fender am deluxe hss strat, and a sg standard 2013. A user suggested a Mesa, and the dual rectifier does look tempting, but I'd prefer a more British sound...!

Thanks so much for your help!!
I'd pass on Fender. I would say maybe something VOX but I am not sure about the channel switching. You could probably do an A/B with a VOX. Or maybe a Marshall with channel switching? There are a lot of Marshalls out there, so really it does come down to budget. Do you need a head or combo?
Last edited by Will Lane at Dec 25, 2015,
Quote by Will Lane
I'd pass on Fender. I would say maybe something VOX but I am not sure about the channel switching. You could probably do an A/B with a VOX. Or maybe a Marshall with channel switching? There are a lot of Marshalls out there, so really it does come down to budget. Do you need a head or combo?

I think I'm gonna focus on heads, and source a 2x12 to run em through, probs from zilla. I was thinking an ac30 for a while, but most of the ones I've heard, I haven't been massively enthused with....even one of the hws. Haven't been able to try out one rigged with alnicos though. Budget is pretty free really up to around 4kish.
Quote by PSimonR
My Peavy Valveking does this, no problem.

Any 2 channel valve amp should be able to; get on with a channel change switch..

TS' budget is 4k. I think he/she can do better than a VK.
Look for a used Randall RM100 and add an assortment of preamp modules from one of these guys:
http://salvationmods.com/index.php?page=modifications
http://www.jadedfaithmods.com/mts-mods.html
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Charlie2727
I think I'm gonna focus on heads, and source a 2x12 to run em through, probs from zilla. I was thinking an ac30 for a while, but most of the ones I've heard, I haven't been massively enthused with....even one of the hws. Haven't been able to try out one rigged with alnicos though. Budget is pretty free really up to around 4kish.

Try it with the Alnico.
I've got and Alnico Gold and a G12K85 in mine and it sounds great.
Gonna build myself and A/B/Y box one of these days so I can get some channel switching going.

For now, I get most of my dirt from a ZVex Box Of Rock and a Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET.
I also have 2 Ibanez TS pedal (808 and TS9DX) but usually only use those to drive the Box Of Rock or the Fulldrive.
YMMV though.
Quote by Cathbard
Look for a used Randall RM100 and add an assortment of preamp modules from one of these guys:
http://salvationmods.com/index.php?page=modifications
http://www.jadedfaithmods.com/mts-mods.html

Thanks for the post....never come across that stuff before. Guess the only problem is not being able to try out any in person.

My only query would be whether the modules actually work in terms of authentic tones? The sounds of so many of those classics are built from the power amps and cabs... Admittedly it probably wouldn't affect me to much as I'm not trying to get the perfect classic vox or Marshall tone, but still interesting.
Quote by CodeMonk
Try it with the Alnico.
I've got and Alnico Gold and a G12K85 in mine and it sounds great.
Gonna build myself and A/B/Y box one of these days so I can get some channel switching going.

For now, I get most of my dirt from a ZVex Box Of Rock and a Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET.
I also have 2 Ibanez TS pedal (808 and TS9DX) but usually only use those to drive the Box Of Rock or the Fulldrive.
YMMV though.

Yeah, if I can find any I will. I had a listen to a friends limited ed hw a while ago which blew me away, loaded up with alnicos, but I've never found one in any guitar stores to try (gotta love England). Was trying to hunt down some of the new JMI ones but they've disappeared from the face of the earth.....
All the modules from Salvation and Jaded Faith that I've tried are bang on.
The power amp in the RM100 is brilliant. Very easy to bias and will take pretty much any octal tube that you like. I run JJ E34L's in mine.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
All the modules from Salvation and Jaded Faith that I've tried are bang on.
The power amp in the RM100 is brilliant. Very easy to bias and will take pretty much any octal tube that you like. I run JJ E34L's in mine.

Any reccomendations for modules from your experience?
My favourites are the Jaded Faith SLO modules (SL-OD100) of which I own two and the Salvation Mash-all+. The Salvation Markus is excellent too, mine is basically a Mark 2C.
The Randall Fender ones are very good too. I have their Tweed which is a Tweed Bassman.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification