Anyone own a Squire deluxe Jazz bass ? It an active bass so I guess that means a 9v and an amp ajustment. Any thoughts on this bass ? \m/
Great look, feel and tone. Squire makes decent stuff. If it's in your style and budget then you won't be buying a bad bass.

But in my honest opinion it still won't be as tip top in build as a Fender. I understand if it's an entry level bass and you're not willing to spend a lot, but right now you're going for an expensive squire. If it's what you want go for it, but it won't be as nice as a cheap Fender.
how do you edit signature?
"Upgraded" from a Squier Deluxe V to a MIM Standard V a few years back and instantly regretted it. The preamp on the Squier was a little hissy and the ebanol fingerboard fogged up but it still felt and sounded far nicer than the MIM.

Moral of the story: Play both and then decide, they both spit out duds and there's no way to know what level of quality you're getting before it arrives.

psps: Get a Classic Vibe Squier anyway.
Quote by eddy_deville
Anyone own a Squire deluxe Jazz bass ? It an active bass so I guess that means a 9v and an amp ajustment. Any thoughts on this bass ? \m/

My Squire is an MB-4 "Skull" bass. There's one for sale on Amazon NEW for $702.04 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B003UEY7FM/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new ) but you can buy them used for $75 - $100. Passive P&J type bass, full-length, cheap woods, cheesy graphics. But honestly, all in all, a pretty decent four-string bass.

Based on that, I'd expect the Squire Deluxe Jazz to be more than serviceable.

Don't expect an amp adjustment, however -- active pickups on a bass aren't like EMGs on a guitar. Mostly the active preamp increases the range and kind of tonal controls available.

My second bass was a used Carvin LB-75 (1989 issue) for a bit more than what you'd pay for a new Squier Deluxe Jazz. One of the reasons I shop the used market is that you get far more for your money. In this case, I got a 5-string with neck-through construction (vs. bolt-on), an ebony fretboard (vs "ebanol" -- essentially fiber-reinforced plastic) with real MOP block inlays, 24 fret board, full 34" scale, active pickups (active preamp tone controls) and a "deep" switch for the neck pickup and a "bright" switch for the bridge pickup.

On that bass, the middle "5" position on the bass and treble knobs is about what you'd get if you switched everything into passive mode and then dimed the controls. With active controls, you're actually boosting the bass (by, I've forgotten, maybe 15 dB?) and the treble beyond that, in a linear fashion, by moving the knob to the 10 position. And you're actively cutting each control by the same amount when you head down to 0. As you know, rolling off a passive control isn't quite the same thing, nor is it necessarily a controlled amount.
I've owned several top end basses starting with a one of 200 Burns split sound six string bass.
1965 Fender Jazz Bass
Musicman Stingray V
G&L L2500
MIM 5 string Jazz Bass
All from new and all sold.
My current Chinese Squier Jazz Bass V cost me £219 I fitted a David East J-Retro active kit and quite frankly it has set up very well (I do my own setting up), it plays very well and sounds very well.
I've just purchased Markbass Mini CMD 151p combo which I used for the first time last night on a New Years Eve gig and quite frankly I stick by my way of thinking which is a top mark Bass will sound crap through a crap amp whereas a cheap bass can sound quite good through a top end amp.
I certainly will not go spending massive amounts on a top end Bass.
Regarding the J-Retro active kit I fitted one to my 65 Jazz as they fit in without any mods it is the one that I use on my current Squier.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Last edited by John Swift at Jan 1, 2016,
I played an Affinity P-bass for a couple years, which has since been replaced by Hofner clone and heavily modified short scale Ibanez, because SS just works better for my style, but the Squier is still a go-to for me.
Cry yourself to ash
Here's my few cents on this matter: for what it's worth.
The Squier Chinese made instruments have been on an upswing in terms of quality while the quality of basic MIM basses has gone down. At the same time, comparing the two side by side you'll find some pros and cons of each.
I've got two MIM basses and every time I consider getting a Squier bass (VM, CI or Deluxe) I can instantly feel a difference. The Squier basses tend to feel sloppy, even next to the MIMs. I own a Squier guitar that I cleaned up nicely (fret dressings, shimmed neck, replaced bridge, nut, pups and electronics) I don't feel the basses will live up the same.

TL;DR
Fender MIM is substance and Squier is flash. Buy a used MIM for the same price as a new Squier
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.