Hello everybody,

I'm relatively new here, and I'm looking for some insight/feedback. I've been playing for about a year now. I'm trying to decide on a new electric guitar for myself. I've almost entirely every only played on acoustic, so I decided to do some research on what kind of guitar would be good for myself.

Basically, as of right now, I'm leaning towards two guitars. The first one being a Les Paul, and the other being a Strat. (I know, how original!) A problem that concerns me is how very different the guitars sound. I've done research on the type of pickups each guitar has and understand how the Strat comes with single coil pick ups, and the Les Paul comes with the humbucker pickups. To try and combat this problem, and have a very universal sounding guitar, I found a Stratocaster called a "Stratocaster HSS", which is just a stratocaster with a humbucker installed near the bridge. (But I'm sure most of you already knew that. Here is the link>> http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender/Standard-Stratocaster-HSS-Electric-Guitar.gc

I am really looking for a guitar that offers a variety of sounds and plays nicely. I most likely will be playing mainly different sub genres of rock, but maybe other genres as well.

I would really appreciate any feedback some of the experienced players can give me and I, of course, am always open for suggestions and different feedback.

Thank you all!
Whats your budget?
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
You can get both in various pickup configs. My current LP has P90s (Epi 57), but I want another with Humbuckers w/ series/parallel switching (Epi Tribute). My strat is a SSH config. But regardless of pickups, these are 2 very different guitars in terms of feel and sound.

Just try as many as you can in your price range with different configs and see what feels and sounds good to you. You may also want to google up your favorite player's rigs to see what they're playing to get their sounds and try something similar as a starting point.
Quote by TheStig1214
Whats your budget?

I'd like my budget to remain under $500 if possible. I know the Strat I gave a link too was $600, but the cheaper the better.
there are a ton of things that are different. i don't care what you do to a strat, an HSS will not sound like an HH les paul (i have three strats at the moment that are SSS, and i have had two HSS). i also have seven gibsons, and you can't get them to sound like a strat either.

go play some and see what you like better.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
For value, go check out the Epiphone line of Les Pauls, as well as the Fender Squier Stratocasters. They are often quite nice instruments, at a really decent price. Just PLAY them first, because quality control is a bit spotty at the entry level for guitars. It's not that hard to find good ones, and sometimes you'll find a real gem.
Last edited by cle4r at Dec 27, 2015,
For $500 you have many fine instruments available. I would start with figuring out which scale length you want this thing to be.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Thanks for the replies everyone. How does everyone feel on a Les Paul with coil split? As I understand it, coil splitting turns one of the coils off on a humbucker. I really do enjoy the design of the Les Paul as well.
I happen to like coil splitting, and I usually see it as a selling point. In most cases, it doesn't sound exactly like a singlecoil, but for most people's purposes, it's close enough. In my experience, the humbuckers that sound best when split are usually pricier ones, but there are also a growing number pickups which are literally 2 singlecoil pickups in a humbucker housing.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dannyalcatraz
I happen to like coil splitting, and I usually see it as a selling point. In most cases, it doesn't sound exactly like a singlecoil, but for most people's purposes, it's close enough. In my experience, the humbuckers that sound best when split are usually pricier ones, but there are also a growing number pickups which are literally 2 singlecoil pickups in a humbucker housing.

That's great to know! I know splitting the humbuckers won't sound just like a single coil, but if it sounds a little close, that's good enough for me. Just got done taking a look at this>> http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone/Limited-Edition-Les-Paul-Quilt-Top-PRO-Electric-Guitar.gc?pfm=sp
I won't lie and say you can't do better for the money, but to do so would involve buying used, finding and trying a less common brand (like G&L Tributes...and G&L doesn't do a LP-style guitar) or going with a mail-order brand like Agile or Dean Zelinsky Private Label. IOW, a lot for someone new to the electric guitar market.

All things considered, that is a perfectly fine guitar. You should be able to find it in most major guitar retailers, so you can try one out- always a plus.

FWIW, Guitar Center does carry G&L guitars, and as fagelamusgtr already suggested, the G&L ASAT line is worth investigating- here is another slightly better cousin to the one that was linked to upthread:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/GL/Tribute-ASAT-Deluxe-Carved-Top-Electric-Guitar-Irish-Ale-1427728873954.gc?country=us&currency=usd&source=4WWRWXGP&gclid=CjwKEAiAtf6zBRDS0oCLrL37gFUSJACr2JYbG-Va0zxbGFlBvFgLvLNjLD0h9i0R9gMWlOGH6tojBBoCJQXw_wcB&kwid=productads-plaid%5E143118043482-sku%5E1427728873954@ADL4GC-adType%5EPLA-device%5Et-adid%5E57619015002
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Dec 27, 2015,
Quote by xmfritzx
That's great to know! I know splitting the humbuckers won't sound just like a single coil, but if it sounds a little close, that's good enough for me. Just got done taking a look at this>> http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone/Limited-Edition-Les-Paul-Quilt-Top-PRO-Electric-Guitar.gc?pfm=sp

Very nice, but if you can stretch the budget just a bit (or wait for a sale / coupon), check out the Tribute - http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone/Les-Paul-Tribute-Plus-Electric-Guitar.gc

For the extra $200, you get a nicer top (subjective...I'm not a fan of quilt tops), real Gibson pickups, locking Grover tuners, better switchgear (I think), strap locks, and a hard case that's worth almost $100 on its own.
This time of year there are lots of fantastic deals on the PRS SE series guitars. Also, the newer SE standard series are nice guitars that simply have fewer features than the regular SE series, but are essentially the same guitar for less money. They are beautiful
, well made guitars that have a voice all their own. I find they are versatile and fit quite nicely between a Gibson and Fender sound.
Seems like you have good budget, here is the list of few good guitar that you can buy under 500
LX1E
Pursuit Mahogany
Taylor GS Mini Guitar
TS, where do you live? I wanna scour your Craigslist for good deals.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
I am getting a Schecter PT... I think it could make a good first electric guitar at a great price, and supposedly way more than that: if all the hype about it on the web is true, it must be a great guitar in general. ı hope it arrives tomorrow, and I can give my humble report (at least as to whether it is really that fine or not) and maybe our friend (Fritz?) will consider it...
Last edited by highwaystar30 at Dec 28, 2015,