I know there is TONS of guitars i really interested in but i'm here to asking you guys for opinions. Here is my specs

Budget-Not over 600 dollars(My first budget was 500 dollar but i collect more so that my limit of the budget)

Neck- thin,24 frets,Scale:any,both not painted or painted

Pickups-Active,H-H

Body-Solid body

Preference-Body shape:Super strat,LP,Dinky Bridge:TOM or Hardtail(NO FLOYD OR TREM)

Tone-I know its active guitar but i want High gain and Clear clean tone(if possible)

New guitar only

Thank you!
Last edited by joseph24 at Dec 27, 2015,
For the most bang for your buck--Agile.

If you plan on using alternate tunings, I wouldn't discount trems.
Ibanez iron label pioa to mind.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by dthmtl3

If you plan on using alternate tunings, I wouldn't discount trems.

This seems illogical to me, I thought trems (especially FRs) are basically a hassle if you want to experiment with many tunings, and especially if you've got only one guitar.
don't go floyd if you want to changing string gauges or changing tunings. trust me, its a bitch.

thats why i have a fleet of ibanez prestige RG's.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
The recently discontinued Godin Redline series had 2 that would fit your bill: the HB and the II. The HB had 2 high-output passive HBs, while the 2 had EMGs. New ones are still sitting on shelves.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/godin-redline-hb-electric-guitar

https://reverb.com/item/953547-godin-redline-ii-black-hg-with-gig-bag?_aid=pla&currency=USD&pla=1&gclid=CjwKEAiAtf6zBRDS0oCLrL37gFUSJACr2JYbHIM13jmArG3fYRrr9iAncmXvilOj6WJVDwsE8B1VNBoCZhDw_wcB

Another option would be a Fernandes Dragonfly. And they're having a clearance sale.

http://www.fernandesguitarshop.com/28-dragonfly
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Dec 27, 2015,
So how do you non-FR folks deal with fitting thick strings in nuts that can barely handle 10-46. Is filing nuts that much easier than balancing a Floyd?
I have 20+ guitars. Half are in NST, most using a .52-54 string for the low C. All but one of those took those bigger strings without complaint, no filing needed.

The one that is the outlier? It has a .46. It probably will need to be filed to take a bigger string. But it is a hollowbody.

Thing is, filing is a one-time thing. Balancing your Floyd after changing tunings is not.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by dthmtl3
So how do you non-FR folks deal with fitting thick strings in nuts that can barely handle 10-46. Is filing nuts that much easier than balancing a Floyd?

I'm not sure what do you mean. The locking nuts of floyds are not slotted as far as I know, meaning the slots are all have the same diameter and angle for all strings. Also, unlike regular bone or plastic nuts, FR's nuts are made of metallic substance so it's impossible to file them with conventional nut files.

Anyway, it actually dosen't matter at all, since the strings are locked anyway, so the strings won't slip or be displaced even after vigorous trem work.
Quote by aozen
I'm not sure what do you mean. The locking nuts of floyds are not slotted as far as I know, meaning the slots are all have the same diameter and angle for all strings. Also, unlike regular bone or plastic nuts, FR's nuts are made of metallic substance so it's impossible to file them with conventional nut files.

Anyway, it actually dosen't matter at all, since the strings are locked anyway, so the strings won't slip or be displaced even after vigorous trem work.

I'm talking about regular nuts, not the locking FR-types.
Quote by dthmtl3
I'm talking about regular nuts, not the locking FR-types.

Oops!... you did say "non-FR folks", I just had a brain fart and talked to you as if you're dumb or something. My bad
Quote by dannyalcatraz
I have 20+ guitars. Half are in NST, most using a .52-54 string for the low C. All but one of those took those bigger strings without complaint, no filing needed.

I know nothing about NST tuning, but I'm just thinking out loud, nuts should be properly filed in case of using such a low tuning on lower strings, isn't it?

If the nut's slots are not securing the strings neatly, this can cause intonation issues because lower stings are too floppy IMO.
Quote by aozen
I know nothing about NST tuning, but I'm just thinking out loud, nuts should be properly filed in case of using such a low tuning on lower strings, isn't it?

If the nut's slots are not securing the strings neatly, this can cause intonation issues because lower stings are too floppy IMO.

That's the thing. It's can't be both from the factory. With the current design of nut slots, they are made to hold 9-42 securely. They may hold 10-46 if you're lucky, but strings thicker than that don't fit into the slots properly, which really ruins your setup. The solution is to file the nut, which in my opinion is a far more delicate operation, even when done by the "pros" at GC and Sam Ash, than just adjusting a FR yourself.
Last edited by dthmtl3 at Dec 28, 2015,
Look, all I can tell you is this:

1) NST is CGDAEG, and- except for the aforementioned hollowbody- my current strings run: 052-54, 042-044, 030-034, 016, 011, 009

2) I have been using NST since @2004, and the guitars tuned thus were made by a variety of builders: Dean, Electra, Rock Beach, Jon Kammerer, etc.

3) none of the guitars using NST have had their nuts filed

4) I am not having intonation issues.

Make of that what you will.

i have no problem with .11's in any of my guitars. no filing needed. .12's fit fine in a few as well (Gibson SG, Fender Showmaster, Ibanez Prestige)

i don't think it is much of a problem. no issues here with intonation either.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
What if i file the nut to makes it fit a larger size of string like 11-56 but what if the nut slot was too wide is it gonna effect anything?
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Look, all I can tell you is this:

1) NST is CGDAEG, and- except for the aforementioned hollowbody- my current strings run: 052-54, 042-044, 030-034, 016, 011, 009

That's quite an uncommon gauge, I've never seen anything like that. Is it your own custom gauge you've made up? It is somewhat similar to Ernie Ball's slinky top heavy bottom, but with much heavier bottom three strings.

This actually makes sense, more string tension helps avoid that spaghetti feeling when using drop or alternate tunings.
Quote by joseph24
What if i file the nut to makes it fit a larger size of string like 11-56 but what if the nut slot was too wide is it gonna effect anything?

There are dedicated files that have appropriate and a very accurate size for each string slot. Some cheaper guitars come with nuts that are poorly cut, these have sharp edges that can make strings stuck in the nut. Anyway, as dthmtl3 has said; it's a very delicate operation, it should be done by a qualified tech though.
Yeah, its a custom gauge. For the most part, it is cobbled together from combining sets. I have found that some 7 string sets have significant overlap with it, and I've also tracked down websites that sell individual strings.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Yeah, its a custom gauge. For the most part, it is cobbled together from combining sets. I have found that some 7 string sets have significant overlap with it, and I've also tracked down websites that sell individual strings.

If you don't mind me asking, what motivated you to switch to NST in the first place?
It was a combination of 2 things. First, I'm a huge fan of Robert Fripp and the work of many of his students, like California Guitar Trio.

The second factor was that, after voice, my first instrument was cello, and that is tuned CGDA.

So one day I was struggling with learning some pieces by ear, and frustrated, decided to read som articles in guitar mags. As it so happened, there was an article that talked about alternative tunings- who used them and why. I hadn't even considered such a thing was possible.

Among the things mentioned were:

1) one of the songs I was trying to learn- it was in DADGAD, so no wonder I was struggling trying to learn it in Standard

2) Robert Fripp's use of NST, and

3) that Bo Diddley had been a violinist before picking up guitar, and had (at least for a while) tuned his guitar with a variant of violin tuning to make it easier for him to learn.

*click*

If Bo Diddley could do that, why not use a similar tactic for myself? NST shares its lowest 4 strings with standard cello tuning, then adds 2 more strings.

The first day I tried it on my Ovation, I was playing symphonic pieces I already knew. It was liberating.

Well apparently there are nuts out there that can take any gauge of string, which is ideal. But in my experience there are others that don't. My point was just to alert to this when recommending guitars/not recommending others and it's something that's never mentioned.

To me, the advantages of a Floyd, among them the easily replaceable wide open nut, outweigh whatever minor disadvantages. That said, I do think it's scandalous that in 2016 we have to struggle with a moronic and outdated system like FR when there are betters out there (Kahler) that guitar makers for some can't get themselves to use or even worse that the owner of FR hasn't managed to come up with something better.
Quote by aozen
This seems illogical to me, I thought trems (especially FRs) are basically a hassle if you want to experiment with many tunings, and especially if you've got only one guitar.

They are unless you have a Variax.
Quote by aozen
I know nothing about NST tuning,

NST (New Standard Tuning) is just tuning in perfect fifths, rather than in mostly fourths (as most guitarists do). This is closer to violin, viola, cello, etc., tuning. Starting at a 65Hz C, it extends the range of the guitar significantly, to a 494Hz B. Well, it WOULD extend it that far, except that string technology hasn't caught up with perfect fifths on a guitar yet, so the top string is tuned to a minor third. you *can* find a string that will tune to the high B, but string life is the problem.

In any case, the extended tuning allows you to play some music that was originally intended for a piano, and that's usually unreachable for a guitar.

The only way to routinely get to NST with the high B (instead of the minor third G on top) is to use a Variax.
Quote by joseph24
I know there is TONS of guitars i really interested in but i'm here to asking you guys for opinions. Here is my specs

Budget-Not over 600 dollars(My first budget was 500 dollar but i collect more so that my limit of the budget)

Neck- thin,24 frets,Scale:any,both not painted or painted

Pickups-Active,H-H

Body-Solid body

Preference-Body shape:Super strat,LP,Dinky Bridge:TOM or Hardtail(NO FLOYD OR TREM)

Tone-I know its active guitar but i want High gain and Clear clean tone(if possible)

New guitar only

I think this list may be both too wide and too narrow in range.
One, I'm not sure why you'd be so specific about active pickups. You can do high gain and clear clean tone with passives equally as well (and probably more easily). If you're moving into a 24-fret guitar in an LP body, you're going to be more interested in the back of the guitar -- a clunky standard LP neck heel is NOT going to make you happy. Scale is going to make some difference in bending (shorter scale guitars are easier and you can bend further before encountering neighboring strings).

All necks are painted, though some are satin finish, others gloss. Some are finished with tung oil or boiled linseed oil, but honestly, I recommend a satin polyester finish (on the back of the neck only) above all else.

Take a look at some of the Agile line on Rondo Music.