take a look:
http://www.schecterguitars.com/international/guitars/california-vintage/pt-custom-2015-06-30-detail
I think these are new. Available in my country and on big discount. Anybody any ideas about it?

I wanted a Schecter PT the standard model http://www.schecterguitars.com/international/guitars/retro/pt-2013-11-22-detail

but may end up with the first guitar (custom rosewood) from California vintage series. Both are S. Korean. I would appreciate opinions on these, as well as the USA custom shop PTs. Maybe it's better just wait and save more for an American guitar... Thanks.. have a great new year.
Last edited by highwaystar30 at Dec 27, 2015,
This Rosewood fretboard version sports Diamond Plus Schecter pickups... is there any way this guitar is more vintage than the standard PT other than its looks? Does ashwood body make it sound more vintage? Diamond plus pickups, I dont know much about, but I know some of Schecter's 'metal' guitars carry them.
Last edited by highwaystar30 at Dec 27, 2015,
Nothing special about an "American guitar" these days. And I say that sitting here in Los Angeles crabbing that I need a heavier t-shirt because it's only 44 degrees early on a Sunday morning.

There are (obviously) some really good guitars here, and better availability than elsewhere, but IMHO, most of those are custom/semi-custom (Suhr, James Tyler, Carvin, Trussart, Taylor are within stick-throwing distance here in SoCal) and not standard production (take THAT, Fender and Gibson). Fender makes some great semi-custom guitars, and if you want to see a ton of them, go to Wild West guitars in Riverside (a short drive). Gibson can still make a very good guitar, but you'll find anything below about $3K can be really variable in quality, and I won't touch anything they make priced under $1000.

I've got a stack of American guitars, another stack of good Japanese guitars, and lately I've been buying either vintage american (before 1980, anyway) or South Korean (with an occasional Carvin tossed in). Four Agiles (including one semi-custom), a couple of Variax and some odds and ends over the last few years. No new Schecters, Ibaneeezers, though.

The Variax are a pretty good example. I wanted a JTV-89F (Floyd-equipped super strat, mahogany body, maple neck, Variax electronics, 24 jumbo frets, 16" radius, wide-thinnish neck, etc.). The Korean version is $1199, is available through GC (though they're rare to find in inventory), comes in a gig bag and comes in two colors (black and "blood red," neither of which are favorites). The American version is almost exactly three times that price ($3600-ish) and comes in an additional color - natural. You get Hipshot tuners, an extra battery, a G&G hard case and that's about it. Everything else is identical, including the pickups and the Floyd. The Floyd renders the tuners pretty much immaterial, the extra battery is $50 from Line 6, $15 anywhere else (it's a video camera battery), and G&G is right in downtown LA and they'll make me the case for around $300 (custom) in my choice of coverings and interiors. I tried the American version, but I ordered the Korean. When it came, it arrived in tune, with great action, level frets (!). I was stunned. I liked it so much that I needed a backup. So I went to see the American version (they're built here in LA) again, just to see if I'd changed my mind. And so, exactly one year later, I ordered another Korean. I'd spent $2400 for the pair (the second one arrived with the model knob and the alternate tuning knob interchanged, which led to a short trip out to Line 6, which led to merriment and pizza in their fix-it shop, which led to an impromptu jam session, which led to me getting kicked out the door so they could get some real work done). G&G is doing my hard cases (a Christmas gift) this year, I have a stack of spare batteries and I'm nowhere near the price of one American version.

Two of my Agiles (an AL2000 Floyd and an AL3100 Floyd) work regularly in bars, one (a semi-custom with a whole lot of modifications) is the primary guitar in another project, with a Gibson Axcess Custom (around $4K plus the same modifications) as its backup. And the most recent Agile, an AD2300 in natural mahogany (body, neck) was snagged for me by a friend in Vancouver for $130 used. New they're $299 and were discontinued for most of the last two years. This one came with a set of Mike Reilander's hand-wound P90's ($185/set) and probably gets played more than any of the rest of the guitars at the moment.

Here in the US, Schecters get sent to a Burbank facility that checks them over, sets them up and then sends them out. They're very good out of the box. They're variable if they've been hanging on a wall at Guitar Denter for six months being trashed by the after-school crowds and the random bedroom metalheads who downtune them six steps or so and then leave them like that for the next guy (because, DUDE, doesn't *everyone* play downtuned metal?).

Try to get one new in the box.

And Happy New Year to you, too.
Quote by highwaystar30
This Rosewood fretboard version sports Diamond Plus Schecter pickups... is there any way this guitar is more vintage than the standard PT other than its looks? Does ashwood body make it sound more vintage? Diamond plus pickups, I dont know much about, but I know some of Schecter's 'metal' guitars carry them.

I think it's pretty obvious that a two-humbucker T-style guitar is unlikely to be attempting anything "vintage," really, and that like the words, "Custom" and "Deluxe" etc., it's just a model designation.
Hell-Ay has ruined you, dspellman.

Took a quick glance at the PT & PT Custom you linked to. Near as I can tell, most differnces between the two are cosmetic, except for the pickups...and I don't know Schecter's pickups all that well.

What are you looking to get out of a guitar right now?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dannyalcatraz

I know, right?

El Lay has cars, guitars and movie stars.
Tits, the Ritz, glamour and glitz.
Drugs and Thugz and weird-ass bugz.
Fires, broke tires and horrible liars.
No Rains, T-Pains and diamond lanes.
Lamborghinis, Mid-East Weenies, precocious teenies.
Sluts with Butts, obnoxious mutts.
Mani's, Trannies, foreign nannies.

What's a boy from Dubuque, Iowa to do?
Hey... thanks, that long answer covers a lot... but I remember now picking up an American Schecter after playing some Korean ones, and starting salivating immediately... so your thesis might just not be true for Schecter custom shops, I dont know, I get the basic point though... no prejudices against nationalities of guitars...
Last edited by highwaystar30 at Dec 28, 2015,
Quote by dannyalcatraz

Took a quick glance at the PT & PT Custom you linked to. Near as I can tell, most differnces between the two are cosmetic, except for the pickups...and I don't know Schecter's pickups all that well.

What are you looking to get out of a guitar right now?

This is going to be my second guitar (alongside a Strat thats lying at luthier shops since a long while) so I wanted a shredder type of thing for a variety. PT is a compromise between styles I guess, has a classic vibe but built to play fast. I am fairly certain about PT.... only that the US model might be more worthwhile, I just hate trying to sell things...
Quote by highwaystar30
Hey... thanks, that long answer covers a lot... but I remember now picking up an American Schecter after playing some Korean ones, and starting salivating immediately... so your thesis might just not be true for Schecter custom shops, I dont know, I get the basic point though... no prejudices against nationalities of guitars...

I can't be responsible for your drool reactions. Pavlov's Dog and all that...

I've seen an awful lot of Schecters, including originals. There ARE, as I mentioned, some very good American guitars, but the pricetags on those are *way* over what the Koreans come in at. Only you can decide whether it's worth it.
Quote by highwaystar30
This is going to be my second guitar (alongside a Strat thats lying at luthier shops since a long while) so I wanted a shredder type of thing for a variety.

Since when is a 21-fret tele with a clunky bolt neck heel a "shredder" type of thing?

Yeah, I understand that some folks can shred on anything, but big frets and a flat (ish) radius on an otherwise standard guitar doesn't suggest "shred."
Quote by dspellman
Since when is a 21-fret tele with a clunky bolt neck heel a "shredder" type of thing?

Yeah, I understand that some folks can shred on anything, but big frets and a flat (ish) radius on an otherwise standard guitar doesn't suggest "shred."

Yes true,,, I cut the story a little short actually I was checking out other lines of Schecter and Ibanez etc, and despite my intentions my sympathies went to the PT... I think its a compromise between my true tastes and my seeking of change. I hope its shredder enough for me
Quote by highwaystar30
Yes true,,, I cut the story a little short actually I was checking out other lines of Schecter and Ibanez etc, and despite my intentions my sympathies went to the PT... I think its a compromise between my true tastes and my seeking of change. I hope its shredder enough for me

Take a look at a Carvin TL60. http://www.carvinguitars.com/catalog/guitars/tl60

Tele body shape. Neck-through construction. 25" scale, 24-fret neck (!), smooth neck heel, tummy cut, slight forearm roll, ebony fretboard standard, 14" radius standard, smooth neck/body transition, and from there everything's optional.
We don't have Carvin over here, but anyway, thanks a lot guys.. hope it won't be a disappointment, I gave the order. I may get back to report what I think. Even if not great for shredding, I hope to get a great guitar for the price I paid (500 dollars). Have a good new year.. you were very helpful.
Don't forget to post a new gear day thread when you get it!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
The guitar works well.. Better than my EVH wolfgang special I believe (sorry I didn't mention that one). I had written a longer report but decided my ideas are not really worth a long read. It's big, thick, and very heavy, not pretty at all, to me at any rate, but plays very well and sounds very decent. And maybe it is a great guitar actually. See you around guys, and thanks...
Attachments:
rsz_win_20151231_09_04_38_pro.jpg
Last edited by highwaystar30 at Jan 1, 2016,
nice looking guitar. enjoy. by the way the "vintage" part of this is about "vintage" for schecter not like old tele. that model was one of their first guitars made sorta popular by Pete Townsend (The Who) in the early 80s when he used them for the (snicker) last who tour.