https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXPNHU5m69U

hey guys so i've been listening to this song a lot lately, and i'm trying to figure out what is it about the chords in the intro that i enjoy so much, as in what chords are being used and what function do they have ??
it's up to about 45 seconds, that i'm confused about.
from what I saw a certain part is 2 major chords that are half steps away from each other, that's all i could really get out of it but as in fuction etc, i'm lost. Anyone that can help i'd appreciate it
The riff seems to move the same chord shape around (it's a madd9 chord - the fast palm muted notes are the root of the chord). The main progression is I bII I bVII bVI. It has a lot of chromaticism in it. The shape looks like this: x x 10 9 11 x with the fast palm muted notes on the open 5th string (or the 12th fret of that string) - that's the root of the chord. I watched a video of somebody playing it and the song seems to be in D tuning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKKUNDyUPiI

Why do you like the sound of it? I don't know. Maybe because it sounds fresh/unconventional. But we can't really tell you why you like something because different people like different things for different reasons.

What function do they have? I don't know if they really have a "function" (in the normal sense). It's just chromatic stuff, moving the same shape around and creating a "melody" that way. Well, it does have a pretty clear tonic (that's G) and as I said, the chords are I bII I bVII bVI (all madd9 chords) in relation to the tonic.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Dec 28, 2015,
Gm9 Abm9 Gm9 Fm9 Gbmaj7

into 0:23
Gm9 Abm9 Bbm9 Fsus2 (A/C#m polychord which can be analyzed as just Amaj7)

Just chromatic funsies.
Glad to cross paths with you on this adventure called life
Quote by Jet Penguin
lots of flirting with the other key without confirming. JUST LIKE THEIR LOVE IN THE MOVIE OH DAMN.
Quote by Hail
you're acting like you have perfect pitch or something
Quote by MaggaraMarine
The riff seems to move the same chord shape around (it's a madd9 chord - the fast palm muted notes are the root of the chord). The main progression is I bII I bVII bVI. It has a lot of chromaticism in it. The shape looks like this: x x 10 9 11 x with the fast palm muted notes on the open 5th string (or the 12th fret of that string) - that's the root of the chord. I watched a video of somebody playing it and the song seems to be in D tuning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKKUNDyUPiI

Why do you like the sound of it? I don't know. Maybe because it sounds fresh/unconventional. But we can't really tell you why you like something because different people like different things for different reasons.

What function do they have? I don't know if they really have a "function" (in the normal sense). It's just chromatic stuff, moving the same shape around and creating a "melody" that way. Well, it does have a pretty clear tonic (that's G) and as I said, the chords are I bII I bVII bVI (all madd9 chords) in relation to the tonic.

hey man, thanks for the reply, i guess i like it because of the funky feeling it gives me lol, i love how they play metal but with a little twist to it

and what do you mean by the bII bVII bVI ?
Quote by NeoMvsEu
Gm9 Abm9 Gm9 Fm9 Gbmaj7

into 0:23
Gm9 Abm9 Bbm9 Fsus2 (A/C#m polychord which can be analyzed as just Amaj7)

Just chromatic funsies.

i like the chromatic sound man, depends on how it's used. I still have to find a good way to use it on my songs, it's hard for me :P
Quote by enloartworks
hey man, thanks for the reply, i guess i like it because of the funky feeling it gives me lol, i love how they play metal but with a little twist to it

and what do you mean by the bII bVII bVI ?

Those are just the scale degrees the chords are built on. bII chord is built on the minor second scale degree, and in the key of G that would be Ab; bVII is built on the minor 7th scale degree, and in the key of G that would be F; and bVI is built on the minor 6th scale degree, and in the key of G that would be Eb.

And a correction to the chord shape. It should be x x 10 9 12 x.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Dec 28, 2015,