So i'm ready to drop some dough on a amp sim. I downloaded the scuffhams trial and really dig it, but before i spend the 100+ dollars on it I wanted to know what other option i might have. I want something i can practice and record with that has a good selection of quality amps sim, and effects.
Check the List of Amp Sims sticky and try the demos some of the retail amp sims offer: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1522593

From my personal experience, I can say that Amplitube is good, as long as you bypass the Cab section and use IRs.

I didn't liked Guitar Rig nor Bias.

Bias had some pretty good clean and crunchy tones, but on higher gain stuff, I was not impressed.

I have no experience with Softube, but I've heard some pretty good stuff about it.

However, I've been messing around more with Lepou's stuff lately. I'm surprised at how good they sound, taking into account that they are free.

These are just my opinions, so ymmv.
Don't spend money on an amp sim. Just don't. You can find good amp and cab sims for free, and the more expensive stuff isn't really worth it. If you need metal tones, the LePou amp pack should have you covered. They also have the hybrit that works well for classic rock tones. For cleans, you'd be surprised how good results you can get with a direct signal. The point being, that spending over a hundred bucks on retail amp sims is wasted money.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
Quote by Kevätuhri
the more expensive stuff isn't really worth it.
Well...
That's your opinion.
There's stuff that sounds better than LePou's imo, and I thought it was worth it.
Quote by Kevätuhri
For cleans, you'd be surprised how good results you can get with a direct signal.
Not it you want to sound like your guitar's passing through a guitar amp.

Not saying it can't work, but you need to consider other scenarios.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
The LePou stuff works for some sounds after spending some serious time on tweaks.
I've been able to get good tones from Amplitube 3 off the box, but in order to get better you have to learn how the speaker emulation section works on that one. In some instances I disable it and use Kalthalen's free speaker sims instead by putting them in the vst chain after Amplitube's amp.
I still find them insufficient for substitution in a finished project and pipe my DI tracks back into amplifiers for the finished product. My 2c.
Quote by Spambot_2
Well...
That's your opinion.
There's stuff that sounds better than LePou's imo, and I thought it was worth it.

Maybe, but it's still an amp sim, and in my opinion even the best amp sims sound pretty sketchy. But as you said, that's just my opinion. I'd still urge TS to try the free stuff out there before spending any money.

Quote by Spambot_2
Not it you want to sound like your guitar's passing through a guitar amp.

Not saying it can't work, but you need to consider other scenarios.

Yeah, I just simply meant that you can get a good tone without an amp. Not saying I'd recommend it, again I'm just trying to save TS some money
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here