hi, i've recently installed a set of EMG's on a guitar and it has a load of unwanted noice when the distortion is on, way more than my other guitars. I wanted to know if someone could help me fix the problem, is it a common mistake on the installation ? or something like that
Is the noise gone when you touch the strings?

If yes, I guess you haven't grounded it properly.

Is it one of those solderless installations? Check if everything is connected properly and if you followed the instructions correctly.
Last edited by DanyFS at Dec 27, 2015,
make sure you do not use the string ground with active pickups (assumption that they are active), that will mess things up a bit.

also, i hate their quick connect. i had one pop of an 85 in the neck position for my SG, and it was a bitch. solder it in properly and you will never have trouble.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Could this just be the hotter signal of the EMGs?

Do you have the same noise on a clean channel?

Hot pickups into a heavy gain setting especially without a noise gate will show how well you can mute strings.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
The noise is considerably lower on a pasive guitar, the noise is like the hum, it's considerably louder near ligths
Quote by STEGMAIER
The noise is considerably lower on a pasive guitar, the noise is like the hum, it's considerably louder near ligths

Sounds like a grounding/shielding issue - did you install them yourself or have it done elsewhere? Were the pickups new and/or do you know there's no issue with them?
Quote by lumberjack
Sounds like a grounding/shielding issue - did you install them yourself or have it done elsewhere? Were the pickups new and/or do you know there's no issue with them?

the pickups aren't new but i bought them so they should be working, if the other guitar sounds fine in the same room, can i asume it isn't a shielding isue ? the other guitar is unshielded
You bought them so they should be working? What does that mean?

I ask because it's not unheard of to get compromised pickups on the used market, and fake EMGs are becoming more and more common.
Quote by Roc8995
You bought them so they should be working? What does that mean?

I ask because it's not unheard of to get compromised pickups on the used market, and fake EMGs are becoming more and more common.

I bought them new, and they have worked fine, so this is basically down to shielding or wiring. witch one is it more likely to be ? is this a common problem with EMG's ?
Quote by STEGMAIER
I bought them new, and they have worked fine, so this is basically down to shielding or wiring. witch one is it more likely to be ? is this a common problem with EMG's ?

Which one is more likely to be? Well, try to find out. Check the wiring. After that, if you're sure it is 100% good, check the shielding/grounding.

As far as I know, it's not really a common problem. If both wiring and shielding are fine, go to the store where you bought them and ask for another set or your money back. They may be defective, it happens.
Last edited by DanyFS at Dec 29, 2015,
Quote by STEGMAIER

EMG's usually have no humming issues because they're internally shielded. Who installed the pickups? You or a shop/luthier/tech?