0 0%
David Wallimann's Practice Bundle
0 0%
Keep Analyzing solos
2 67%
Other suggestion...
1 33%
Voters: 3.
Hello everybody. I've been playing guitar for 6 years on and off, depending on how stable my life is. Right now it's pretty stable, decent job, etc. I've already taken around 16-18 lessons during the last years, enabling me to fix very bad habits, and also increasing my knowledge of theory.

*** I've also played bass for 8 years, so I do know what I am doing exactly. ***
So, to get to the point, I'm in search of a method or program that will increase my skill level and overall motivation. I'm hesitating between 3 specific methods.

Solution no.1 - Getting a new local guitar teacher. ----- Expensive. Doesn't mean I will properly phrase solos or be more creative. Teachers mostly fix bad technique and bad habits. They mostly give you sheets and fretboards diagrams. I can double-check my theory with David Wallimann's videos on youtube...

Solution no.2 - Buying a Lesson Bundle from David Wallimann. ----- Expensive as well. Doesn't really mean I will have the patience to go through all those videos and tracks.

Solution no.3 - Analyzing the phrasing and soloing of my favorite artists/bands, by slowing it down in a DAW. ----- Up to now, it works quite well, and gave some results. I just feel that I need to play those solos to the end without giving up.

I'm calling the experts here on UG : What would you do ?
What do you think would be more effective ?

Lastly : how much time per day should I spend doing this ?

For those who want to know my type of soloing :
- Death, Abysmal Dawn, Soreption, Shokran, Paul Wardingham, Andy James, Martyr.
Just to add an example, try to slow down Andy James' Track called ''DARK EMBRACE'', by 30-35 %

Some maneuvers and movements explained in the tabs would be more easy to do if I would discover it myself with my own way of moving. Why ? Simply because with the tabs, some movements on the neck seem anti-ergonomic or illogical.
Learning tunes by ear is by far the best way to improve your playing, with or without a teacher. It will give you inspiration, material to work with and get you closer to learning the language.

My practice routine nowadays is just that:

Warm up.

Work on chordal and improvisational concepts, that i've learned from transcribing other players.

Transcribe more music i love

Ear training

Taking these chordal and improvisational concepts and put them through different tunes.

I loved having a great teacher, it was one of the best things that happened to my playing. But the best thing that ever happened to my playing was to keep learning things from players i loved, by ear. Learning to sing them aswell.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
How long have you been playing your instrument ?

What I know about transcribing, is now, I can truly put the feeling into the playing because I heard the accents and ''pronounciation'' of my favorite players.

I've played in bands like, 13 times and everytime I was making amazing impressions because of my attention to detail. I never failed an audition all my life as a bassplayer.

Before that, any teacher would throw me a sheet with scales and say ''Just be creative'' with XYZ backing track. That was never enough.

Thanks for your advice.