This is an expository post, no question or anything, sue me

My wife and I have owned a house for about 4 years now, and for the entirety of that time all of my guitar stuff has been upstairs in one of the "guest rooms", which also doubled as my piss poor "studio." Had my amp, all my guitars, pedals, mics, and a table for my laptop along with the audio interface.

I had to go up there whenever I wanted to play electric guitar, and I thought I would like that at first, but I really don't. It makes me feel isolated and distant, and like I'm being relegated to a private room where I can whittle away my hobbies in seclusion. I feel like it was pretty detrimental to motivating me to play.

I've been making some moves to try to bring guitar playing back into my life and make it more consistent. I'm a super busy dude, with a crazy work schedule, so I think that making guitar playing very accessible to me will help. Of course, I have an amazing acoustic guitar and that motivates me almost every time I pick it up, but that's still only a handful of weeks throughout the year, and I don't prefer to play every style on it. For learning jazz, I definitely prefer my electric.

My wife told my parents to get me an Orange Micro Dark and the corresponding cab for Christmas, and they did, and I'm so stoked about it. I do really like the sound (and damn it's way louder than I thought/need so that's cool), but the size is the best part.

I've found room in our (well-decorated by my wife) living room, right next to the couch, to keep it as a permanent fixture, so I can conveniently jam out on the couch whenever I want. So far this has been a godsend. It feels fantastic, I don't feel closeted, and I can really relax while playing.

I also put an original FR on my guitar (Peavey V-Type white and pearl), and am going to be putting a Jazz/JB combo (based on a post by JustRooster saying it's a versatile combo ) into it soon, hopefully with gold covers.

Basically this is about me finding some small ways to reinvigorate my guitar playing by making minor adjustments in a hectic life.

Maybe some of you guys can relate, maybe some of ya can't.

Also got some new sheet music coming from my favorite composer
My God, it's full of stars!
Cool story bro.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Cool story bro.

It's not really that cool tho, sad more than anything
i recently became single, i was engaged for 5 years, and everything was in my name (mostly because i paid for all of it). i now own two homes (outright), two cars, and have gear at both locations. she used to try to control things (like where gear is) and i hated it.

now i have gear split up between places, and my primary residence is with a few guitars, and a man-house with everything else.

its much nicer to be free, and have your shit where you like it.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Yeah man I hears ya. My wife is always trying to move some of my gear elsewhere where its out of sight and mind.

Its no biggie but it is what it is...annoying... chortle
Quote by Dreadnought

It's actually cool that your wife understands and supports it.

I don't even know what my hobbies are anymore, but I share my writing with like two people. It definitely feels good to feel like what you like doesn't isolate you.
That's really good man It's good your family supports you playing still, and are letting you play in the home.

I can't even bear to play outside of my spare room anymore....I'm just way too self conscious and feel like I can never compete with the Wonderwall playing douches that perform around here.
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
nah I get that feel. Space is important. Gotta have it working for you, not forcing you somewhere you don't enjoy being. Sometimes, for less intense playing, I just mute the tv, put on the subtitles, and see how well I can play without focusing a lot on the instrument.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
I have no idea how guitarists can complain of not having any practice space, just move the chair and whatever, it's an instrument that is close to you and relatively small, so you can move somewhere different.

Try having a piano where the damn thing stays in one spot unless you find two people dumb enough to help try to move it, then I will let you complain about not finding a good place.

Don't get me wrong though, I think you've done well man
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
Last edited by Pastafarian96 at Dec 28, 2015,
Quote by Pastafarian96
I have no idea how guitarists can complain of not having any practice space, just move the chair and whatever, it's an instrument that is close to you and relatively small, so you can move somewhere different.

Try having a piano where the damn thing stays in one spot unless you find two people dumb enough to help try to move it, then I will let you complain about not finding a good place.

Don't get me wrong though, I think you've done well man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWl8EbNN8NM
Reinvigorate
Invigorate
Vigor
Vinegar
Vinegar myself
Slowly pouring vinegar on yourself
Super sexy I dig it.
Quote by Pastafarian96
pretty much.

learn a non-portable instrument, it's ridiculously frustrating.

Yeah.

And when people act like a djembe is a suitable substitute for real drums.

No, no it's not, you stupid hippy.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Quote by Pastafarian96
pretty much.

learn a non-portable instrument, it's ridiculously frustrating.

You mean like a desktop PC?
Quote by snipelfritz
Yeah.

And when people act like a djembe is a suitable substitute for real drums.

No, no it's not, you stupid hippy.

A poem.
Quote by yoman297

Quote by ultimate-slash
You mean like a desktop PC?

spot on the money
even as a joke it's a lot closer to the truth.
A poem.
Quote by yoman297

Quote by Dreadnought

Nah it's pretty cool
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Hey I preferred this in Electric Guitar where I originally put it

Quote by Pastafarian96

Try having a piano

Nah
I know where you comin from brospeh.

My studio is BANGIN but... it is in the basement which can get cold and has that sense of detachment. Within the next year I will try to overhaul things so that the bedroom and studio are the same place lol. Worked so well in college. Most people aspire to have a dedicated room for their studios... I want the exact opposite.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
I know where you comin from brospeh.

My studio is BANGIN but... it is in the basement which can get cold and has that sense of detachment. Within the next year I will try to overhaul things so that the bedroom and studio are the same place lol. Worked so well in college. Most people aspire to have a dedicated room for their studios... I want the exact opposite.

I can dig it man. The struggle is real
I've learned the closer I keep my music stuff to the couch, the more practice I get done.

This thread makes me feel a little better. I've always thought "man I'm a lazy f*ck because I can't have a dedicated room for practice." For me it's a combo of laziness and the feelings you described in OP.
Last edited by The Madcap at Dec 28, 2015,
Quote by Dreadnought
This is an expository post, no question or anything, sue me

My wife and I have owned a house for about 4 years now, and for the entirety of that time all of my guitar stuff has been upstairs in one of the "guest rooms", which also doubled as my piss poor "studio." Had my amp, all my guitars, pedals, mics, and a table for my laptop along with the audio interface.

I had to go up there whenever I wanted to play electric guitar, and I thought I would like that at first, but I really don't. It makes me feel isolated and distant, and like I'm being relegated to a private room where I can whittle away my hobbies in seclusion. I feel like it was pretty detrimental to motivating me to play.

I've been making some moves to try to bring guitar playing back into my life and make it more consistent. I'm a super busy dude, with a crazy work schedule, so I think that making guitar playing very accessible to me will help. Of course, I have an amazing acoustic guitar and that motivates me almost every time I pick it up, but that's still only a handful of weeks throughout the year, and I don't prefer to play every style on it. For learning jazz, I definitely prefer my electric.

My wife told my parents to get me an Orange Micro Dark and the corresponding cab for Christmas, and they did, and I'm so stoked about it. I do really like the sound (and damn it's way louder than I thought/need so that's cool), but the size is the best part.

I've found room in our (well-decorated by my wife) living room, right next to the couch, to keep it as a permanent fixture, so I can conveniently jam out on the couch whenever I want. So far this has been a godsend. It feels fantastic, I don't feel closeted, and I can really relax while playing.

I also put an original FR on my guitar (Peavey V-Type white and pearl), and am going to be putting a Jazz/JB combo (based on a post by JustRooster saying it's a versatile combo ) into it soon, hopefully with gold covers.

Basically this is about me finding some small ways to reinvigorate my guitar playing by making minor adjustments in a hectic life.

Maybe some of you guys can relate, maybe some of ya can't.

Also got some new sheet music coming from my favorite composer

DDDDDEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWDDDDDDD!!!!!!!

I made an account just to respond to your post. I thought I was being weird at first but it turns out my "guest room studio" issues are felt by others on this planet too.

I too have had a house for four years. I too have a "studio" in a guest room with all my pedals, guitars, and interface. I too thought I would like it at first.

I also felt isolated and did not like going up there. It really de-motivated me. I thought I was just a weird depressed person.

Finally, I bought a line 6 pod and a mixer to combine drum beats from Logic with my POD with ZERO latency issues. I set this up on a table I built behind my couch and find myself playing more after a hard day of work.

I actually prefer to jam with others in my guest room studio but when I am alone, not so much.

I think it has to do with the fact that PRACTICING guitar and JAMMING are two different things.
Quote by BoltThrowers
DDDDDEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWDDDDDDD!!!!!!!

I made an account just to respond to your post. I thought I was being weird at first but it turns out my "guest room studio" issues are felt by others on this planet too.

I too have had a house for four years. I too have a "studio" in a guest room with all my pedals, guitars, and interface. I too thought I would like it at first.

I also felt isolated and did not like going up there. It really de-motivated me. I thought I was just a weird depressed person.

Finally, I bought a line 6 pod and a mixer to combine drum beats from Logic with my POD with ZERO latency issues. I set this up on a table I built behind my couch and find myself playing more after a hard day of work.

I actually prefer to jam with others in my guest room studio but when I am alone, not so much.

I think it has to do with the fact that PRACTICING guitar and JAMMING are two different things.

Nice, I'm glad someone else can relate and is figuring it out
I find that playing outside is a wonderful feeling. To me, it's an almost spiritual experience to take an acoustic instrument and just sit under a tree and play what comes to mind. Would recommend
Check out my band Disturbed
I prefer to play in my bedroom with headphones on most of the time, I like being isolated when I play. Don't have much room though, especially whenever I want to use my keyboard. Whenever I use my other amp in the basement though I have to move my pedal board and guitar down every time.
Quote by StewieSwan at #33750798
I find that playing outside is a wonderful feeling. To me, it's an almost spiritual experience to take an acoustic instrument and just sit under a tree and play what comes to mind. Would recommend

I have a pretty nice patio I'll play acoustic on in the summer.