Hello everyone.

I have been playing guitar for about 8 years now, but only acoustic guitar. I recently started electric guitar, because I really love rock songs. Especially 70's, 80's rock - like Guns 'n Roses.

I have an Aria STG-series electric guitar, with a Laney LX12 amp (I think it's either 10 or 15 watt)

I'm really battling to get that awesome rock sound with this equipment. But now my question is, is it just that I'm not used to playing electric guitar, so I must work on a certain technique, or do I need better equipment? If so should I then invest in a new amp, or a new guitar, and any suggestions on an affordable one to get? I'm just going to be playing at home for now, so I don't think I need a huge amp or something like that.
I'd think your amp should work for those sounds, it just won't sound the best.

Honestly you should look at a decent modeling amp like the Vox VT, Fender Mustang, Peavey Vypyr. also an amp with a 12" speaker will sound much better than the same amp with a 8" speaker, so look for an amp with a 12" speaker in it.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
^ yeah

and is the aria a strat-style guitar? a bridge humbucker really helps to get those rockier type sounds as well.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ +1 didn't think about the guitars pickups, but that is a good point.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
The Laney is only a little amp with a little speaker, but have you tried turning down the volume and turning up the gain?

The guitar is a Strat clone and Aria guitars are very reasonable quality for the price. The guitar shouldn't be a problem.
Please note: The above comments are based on my experience, and may represent my perception of that experience. This may not be accurate and, subject to the style of music you play, may be irrelevant or wrong.
^ yeah if the guitar is decent, with any luck it might be routed for a bridge humbucker anyway and you could fit a decent-but-fairly-cheap (e.g. irongear, entwistle, something like that, though I haven't tried those, just heard good things) humbucker pretty easily. Or even if it's not routed for a humbucker, a rails-type single coil-sized humbucker would likely be an improvement on what's already there.

Quote by Robbgnarly
^ +1 didn't think about the guitars pickups, but that is a good point.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks everyone.
Yea it's a strat style guitar, with a bridge hambucker. So the guitar seems to be fine then? I should change the amp?

I think maybe it's also the way I play that could be a problem, as I am only used to acoustic fingerstyle playing.. Hahahahha I am useless when it comes to electric guitar. Like I saw someone playing, and I noticed how they blocked 5 strings with the left hand and strummed all the strings but obviously only the one string played - is this for dynamics? hahahaha I think it's these little things that I don't do that make a biiiiig difference.
Quote by kennethkotze
Thanks everyone.
Yea it's a strat style guitar, with a bridge hambucker. So the guitar seems to be fine then? I should change the amp?

You should definitely change the amp. You have a 10w solid state starter pack type amp with a 6" speaker. No offense to whomever bought that for you but it probably sounds like complete ish.

The answer to the 'what amp should I get question' starts with your budget. If you only have $100 then your choices are somewhat limited obviously. If your budget is $500 then you have whole bunch of decent options. Where you live generally will help us too.

Quote by kennethkotze
I think maybe it's also the way I play that could be a problem, as I am only used to acoustic fingerstyle playing.. Hahahahha I am useless when it comes to electric guitar. Like I saw someone playing, and I noticed how they blocked 5 strings with the left hand and strummed all the strings but obviously only the one string played - is this for dynamics? hahahaha I think it's these little things that I don't do that make a biiiiig difference.

Yeah, the technique is a bit different obviously. When I switched to electric guitar I actually played with my fingers strictly for awhile because I had not yet learned how to transition to a pick (plectrum). Muting strings you are not using is big part of electric guitar. If you don't you will get all kinds of unwanted sounds and noise. You can mute the strings with either your left fingers or your right palm/fingers (in general). Don't get frustrated with this part. You'll learn soon enough. Practice by picking the the low E and high E alternately whole moving up the neck and mixing with Barre Chords. Practicing scales will help too by muting strings you don't need and letting the strings you do need - ring through.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
You should definitely change the amp. You have a 10w solid state starter pack type amp with a 6" speaker. No offense to whomever bought that for you but it probably sounds like complete ish.

The answer to the 'what amp should I get question' starts with your budget. If you only have $100 then your choices are somewhat limited obviously. If your budget is $500 then you have whole bunch of decent options. Where you live generally will help us too.

Awesome, so I will look at some amps to buy.. I live in South Africa if that helps... My budget isn't that big - student life hahaha. About R2'000.00, which converts to about $150. Anything decent in mind that I can buy with that?

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Yeah, the technique is a bit different obviously. When I switched to electric guitar I actually played with my fingers strictly for awhile because I had not yet learned how to transition to a pick (plectrum). Muting strings you are not using is big part of electric guitar. If you don't you will get all kinds of unwanted sounds and noise. You can mute the strings with either your left fingers or your right palm/fingers (in general). Don't get frustrated with this part. You'll learn soon enough. Practice by picking the the low E and high E alternately whole moving up the neck and mixing with Barre Chords. Practicing scales will help too by muting strings you don't need and letting the strings you do need - ring through.

Yeah, to quote Guns 'n Roses "Just a little patience. Yeah, yeah" lol.... Thanks a lot for your advice though.. I'm going to spend a lot of time with this.. hahaha gonna be rocking out soon!!
I just found an amp for R1'000.00... Its a Peavey Rage 158, 15watt - any reviews on it?
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

I also just want to ask, is there any other technique, like the muting unwanted strings, that I should know? I kind of stumbled on that by accident, so I'm thinking there must be other little things like that, that make a difference.
Buy a 1x12" cab with a Celestion greenback in it and use that instead of the speaker in the amp. I think that would be the cheapest greatest improvement you could make. Especially if you buy a used one.
The Rage is just a sidestep. Save your money for a decent amp and just grab a speaker for now.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Maybe look for these used: Peavey Valveking, Fender Blues Jr., Vox AC4, Peavey Windsor.

The idea of some of these Guns sounds they use for leads come from pushing a tube amplfier with an overdrive in front so it might not be so cut and dry.

Do they sell the Vox VT series in South Africa? That might actually be a cheaper option that will work for what you need.
Quote by diabolical
Maybe look for these used: Peavey Valveking, Fender Blues Jr., Vox AC4, Peavey Windsor.

The idea of some of these Guns sounds they use for leads come from pushing a tube amplfier with an overdrive in front so it might not be so cut and dry.

Do they sell the Vox VT series in South Africa? That might actually be a cheaper option that will work for what you need.

Yea we do have Vox VT series here. What is a tube amplifier?