Hi all,

This is something I struggled with for my whole guitarplaying carreer.
To be honest, I'm not a talented guitar player at all, never had any decent lessons and kinda created my own style. For example I play a regular powerchord with my index & pinky finger.

At age 15 took some lessons for 2 years only. I didn't practice much at home. Something I regret now. I was in a metal coverband those days and I'd rather played the easiest yet populair songs we we're doing.

10 years later I am still doing kind of the same thing. I play along with some easier songs.
Been in a couple of bands and I always got away with it. But since I dont have a band atm I wanted to improve my skills badly.

First thing is to start playing at a daily basis.
What do I want to improve exactly:
- faster rhytymn playing (panlikker - judas priest would be a nice start off)
- solo's, I hardly can play one properly.

Conclusion: I want to be able to move my fingers a lot faster in the fretboard.

Point is I dont have a club were to start... Like songs or any good YouTube channel would be usefull. Because with 2 kids and a fulltime job its hard to go see a teacher.

Tips or advices anyone?
Here's the thing, you don't actually want to move your fingers "faster" - they already move as fast as they'll need to.

What you can't do is navigate your way around the guitar fretboard particularly quickly or, I'm guessing, accurately. It might sound like semantics, but one of the keys to improving is knowing exactly what it is you're trying to achieve.

It's also worth keeping in mind that you're not going to make some sort of massive leap, but you will improve gradually over time as long as you set realistic short-term goals and build on what you can already do.

So, you can't play a solo? That's the perfect starting point as there's tonnes of them with varying degrees of difficulty - something like Highway to Hell or Alright Now is a good one to tackle as a first solo, easily recognisable notes, not too fast or technically demanding but will still take time to play correctly. You get a lot more out of learning to play a slower solo well than playing a faster one badly. Focus on picking and fretting accurately, keeping tour hands synchronised and keeping your movements controlled and economical.

As far as speeding up rhythm playing goes, aim a little bit higher than you can already manage. So, if you can play, for example, Paranoid then Painkiller might be a bit of a stretch and not really a realistic goal, but something like Crazy Train is a more manageable step up in terms of speed and complexity.

Long term you need to improve your general guitar knowledge, a bit of theory certainly wouldn't hurt but your ultimate goal is to know what sound is going to come out of the guitar when you put your fingers in a certain place. There's different ways to accomplish that but that's a big part of what slows people down - unfamiliarity with the instrument as opposed to technical limitations.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Here's the thing, you don't actually want to move your fingers "faster" - they already move as fast as they'll need to.

What you can't do is navigate your way around the guitar fretboard particularly quickly or, I'm guessing, accurately. It might sound like semantics, but one of the keys to improving is knowing exactly what it is you're trying to achieve.

It's also worth keeping in mind that you're not going to make some sort of massive leap, but you will improve gradually over time as long as you set realistic short-term goals and build on what you can already do.

Can't argue with that. Your 100% right. I know what to play and where to put my fingers. My probleem is I can't get my fingers there where I want them to be, in your words accurate enough. Thats a more positive aproach.
Technique is the key I guess but either I dont have enough patience to learn those, or I'm doing it the wrong way.
Please contact me. We are in a very similar situation as I also want to increase my ''accuracy & speed'' on the neck. I received 20 lessons as a musician in my life, so I can share the best advices to you.

Right now, I'm discovering stuff by myself that REALLY BRINGS results in a tangible way. Check your personal UG mail, we can have a skype session, and I will tell you all that I know as a FREE LESSON (1 hour).

Let's help each other - I even think you could have some tricks and exercices for me. I've played bass for 8 years, and electric guitar for 6 years approximately.
Quote by joeyonfire
Hi all,

To be honest, I'm not a talented guitar player at all, never had any decent lessons and kinda created my own style. For example I play a regular powerchord with my index & pinky finger.

At age 15 took some lessons for 2 years only. I didn't practice much at home. Something I regret now. I was in a metal coverband those days and I'd rather played the easiest yet populair songs we we're doing.

10 years later I am still doing kind of the same thing. I play along with some easier songs.
Been in a couple of bands and I always got away with it. But since I dont have a band atm I wanted to improve my skills badly.

Point is I dont have a club were to start... Like songs or any good YouTube channel would be usefull. Because with 2 kids and a fulltime job its hard to go see a teacher.

Tips or advices anyone?

Wow I'm pretty much in the same situation. I fell out with the guitar around 16 but my dad really got into it around a year ago, and the bug bit me,and I've been at it again for about a year.

I've been using justin guitar which has helped a lot, and used these forums to help pick songs that were in my skill range.

With 2 young children it can be hard to get time in, my son loves it when I play seek and destroy(not the solo) and deadly sinners( not full speed)

I just learned 2 solos this year both not up to full speed but I'm getting there. First one was from black sabbaths paranoid.

My method is to use tab pro and put it at about 20-25% speed and do it until I have it memorized and then speed it up.

My practice sessions are usually

10 mins of scale practice, ascending descending, 3rds. Then try to solo over a backing track.( I try to work in some legato)

Then I divide up whatever time I have left between learning a song from tab and transcribing a song to tab.

If I have any time where I'm loosing focus I try some sillier things like doing pinch harmonics or tapping

I will probably will never be in a band but I love jamming with my dad( he's more blues, but I get to practice my pentatonic positions)

If I get to frustrated with somethingg I take a break, I do this for the love not because I have to, if I'm not enjoying what I'm doing then it's time for a break. Either for 5 mins or for the night.

Song I'm working on transcribing is
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99pI_HTU0P8
Last edited by Garris at Dec 28, 2015,
Quote by joeyonfire
Hi all,

Tips or advices anyone?

Focus on your weak spots one by one and only follow that!!

When it comes to rhytm get a metronome and learn the songs rhytm and structure.

When it comes to lead you only need the amount of technique combined with the song developed. Again a metronome will work wonders for you!

So to play SRV on one end and Yngwie on the other is just matter of developing your hands and mind! With a guitar you can play whatever you feel like. There are no set rules only when you play in restricted groups and so forth.

Now you can search for Pebber Brown so you can get the basics down. It can be tedious though but stick with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sdoz16LRz9Q

Also Justin guitar is recommended:

http://www.justinguitar.com/

Lastly find what works for you in order to play what you want to play!

I mean I never asked for lessons on playing electric guitar and bought tons of books which I by now know 2% of but my skills are always highly developed.

I got serious in one book and a metronome on my Stratocaster for 2 reasons. One was playing right on that guitar and the other going somewhere felt like a good idea. At the same time an old tune by Yngwie Malmsteen I wanted to see if I could ever get down.

I studied the first part mostly legato of my old book 1993 Speed Mechanics by Troy Stetina and then the tab for the Yngwie song with a metronome to really dial it in and yes it takes a while but once you are there you can wake up and play it right away. At least what you learned of it.
Learn all of the positions of the major and minor scales up and down the neck in all keys. This will give you the ability to solo in any key. Also I know this isn't a metal book, but The How To Play Like Chet Atkins book, has helped me immensely in my soloing. The way Chet Atkins plays leads, using lots of open strings, and his weird unique fingerings for scales, is relevant for any genre. The Dorian mode (santana) and the Lydian mode(steve vai/frank zappa) areboth great scales to use for soloing.
Get software that slows songs down like Amazing Slow Downer (paid program but is AMAZING) or Audacity (free audio editor, not as simple as using Amazing Slow Down). You can also get apps for phone that will allow you to slow down songs.

Amazing Slow Downer also maintains the best audio quality when making songs really slow.

Reason you want to slow down the audio - be able to play the song accurate at ANY speed will mean you are playing the right notes, in the right rhythm and give you understanding of the techniques to be played. This will also make it easier to be able to "sing" the part back to yourself, which is crucial for accuracy in playing.
Visit my music school site for advice on gear, music theory and lessons.
www.essm.net.au