Hey, how are you? I am aware that there are lots of posts about post rock gear as well as ambient/Soundscape stuff but it would be nice to know your opinion.

What I want to play: Post Rock; Ambient (Soundscape/Drone);

I am thinking about getting a Fender Mustang amp (it is one of the most versatile amplifiers and also a very good one. The Fender Fuse software is also a really interesting feature). As for the pedals I was thinking about the Hall of Fame (reverb), MojoMojo (overdrive) and Flashback Delay by TC Eletronics.

What do you think? Will this gear be a good start for the post rock/Soundscape world?

Thanks,
Misti.
Last edited by misticone00 at Dec 28, 2015,
Budget, Bands you want to sound like (tones and guitar sounds), used or new, etc?

Depending how big of a Fender Mustang you're looking for, you might be better off with something like a Fender Blues Junior or Vox AC15C1, maybe even the VHT Special 6 if you're not trying to be particularly loud. The Mustang is a good practice amp, but it becomes tinny when it's turned up (as most solid state modelers do, no matter how good they are at low volume).

As for the TC HOF and Flash Back, those are good starting points. You'll probably want or even need more preset capabilities down the road, but for tinkering around and coming up with tones, they are cool pedals.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
Another thing: many- not all- ambient players will stack reverb/delay/echo pedals so they can get nifty interactions between the pedals. Some will also do likewise with rotary and tremolo pedals. Loopers also play a role.

Not something you need to do just starting out, but just giving you the info for down the road.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
There's a LOT of variation that fall under the term"post-rock" nowadays. From what I've seen, there's two basic sounds you start off with as your base. A super clean that you use as a pedal platform, and a single channel amp that you either run high to get breakup and use your volume knob/pedal and picking dynamics to control the level of breakup or run on the edge of breakup and is used as a pedal platform.

Now, three basic needs (pedal-wise) for post-rock are dirt, delay, and reverb. An EHX Soul Food ($50 used), a MXR Carbon Copy ($100 used), and a Digitech DigiVerb ($50 used) can get you started on a budget. That's $200 right there. Figure you'll want to spend about $400 on an amp. A used Fender HotRod should get you going in the right direction.

Until you spill more info about the sound you're going for, you should start LOOKING at this, then come back and update this thread.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by LaidBack
There's a LOT of variation that fall under the term"post-rock" nowadays. From what I've seen, there's two basic sounds you start off with as your base. A super clean that you use as a pedal platform, and a single channel amp that you either run high to get breakup and use your volume knob/pedal and picking dynamics to control the level of breakup or run on the edge of breakup and is used as a pedal platform.

+1

Now, three basic needs (pedal-wise) for post-rock are dirt, delay, and reverb. An EHX Soul Food ($50 used), a MXR Carbon Copy ($100 used), and a Digitech DigiVerb ($50 used) can get you started on a budget. That's $200 right there. Figure you'll want to spend about $400 on an amp. A used Fender HotRod should get you going in the right direction.

+1

I'd also look at used Vox or Carvins, too.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

I should have been more specific, sorry. By post rock I mean something like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoUdpuib0vo

The MXR Carbon Copy and DigiVerb are extraordinary pedals but the TC Eletronic HoF and FlashBack are probably more versatile (in my opinion).

About the amplifier, I was thinking about the Fender Mustang I or II. I mean, the Mustang modeling amp can pretty much emulate every other amplifier thanks to the Fender Fuse software.

This amplifier and pedals are only gonna be used for home practicing.

Thanks for helping me
Quote by misticone00
I should have been more specific, sorry. By post rock I mean something like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoUdpuib0vo

The MXR Carbon Copy and DigiVerb are extraordinary pedals but the TC Eletronic HoF and FlashBack are probably more versatile (in my opinion).

About the amplifier, I was thinking about the Fender Mustang I or II. I mean, the Mustang modeling amp can pretty much emulate every other amplifier thanks to the Fender Fuse software.

This amplifier and pedals are only gonna be used for home practicing.

Thanks for helping me

If the Fuse software is appealing to you, I'd also check out the Fender Super Champ X2 for home use. It still has multiple amp voicings and built in effects but its more of a tube amp. And it still connects to Fender Fuse.
Well, look at it this way: Do you want an amp that does a bunch of sounds kinda "okay"? Or do you want an amp that does one sound really well?

I can't listen to that clip right now since I'm at work, but I'll listen to it later. But if you want modeling, go for a Line 6 Floor POD http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PODHD500X?adpos=1o1&creative=55282474801&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CjwKEAiA2IO0BRDXmLndksSB0WgSJADNKqqohY9oZDpbxEppS1oJHaEVyuqzXGtgp4lSkNIbzj0Y9RoC8tHw_wcB
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Having watched the clip, here's my thoughts:

1) I don't have a problem with modeling, but I prefer my modeling to be in standalone (usually portable) devices as opposed to amps. That way, if I EVER need to play on someone else's amp or system, I can still have my presets.

2) the player in the clip is using discrete pedals, including a looper. Generally speaking, modeling amps don't work as well with pedals as do non-modeling amps (tube or SS) so I bet the amp in use is not a modeling amp.

My personal habit is to use modeling devices for practice and to find sounds/tones that work for different pieces. When I use an amp- currently I only own a Fender HRD combo- I use pedals.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Dec 28, 2015,
A volume pedal might be of use as well. IIRC, the Flashback has some sort of looper built in, so that'll be nice. It also has some more interesting types of delay, like reverse. I'd take it over the Carbon Copy as well for what you're trying to achieve.

The Hall of Fame is nice, but nothing superb, in my opinion. I'd take a DigiVerb over it for value.

If you're dead set on the Fender Mustang amp:
Doesn't the amp have built-in effects? Maybe getting the proprietary footswitch for the amp is the better idea.
The Fender Mustang is a very good deal for what you get, but if you're going that route I would hold off on additional pedals until you get a chance to use all the built-in effects and find there's something not there that you need.

However there's some limitations with the Mustang that could be important given the styles of music you're interested in. First, you're limited in the number of effects and where they can be placed in the signal chain within a preset or patch. You can loop out to additional effects but you have no control over where (in the signal chain) that loop occurs.

If you're just starting out in those styles you've mentioned you may not notice it as much, but as you progress you'll likely find those limitations significant in getting the sound and tones you're searching for. This is the reason you might want to look at something like the POD HD series pedal or desktop unit as it has all of the capabilities of the Mustang, but is much more flexible in how you build the signal chain for your presets. It also has a PC-based editor similar to FUSE and a community that shares their patches.

It might be a bit more expensive given that you would need to also get an amp or powered speaker in addition to the unit if you want to use it with something more than headphones, but it should be useful much longer given it's broader flexibility.
I wouldn't get a mustang to throw pedals on top of, it has built in FX.

What is your budget and location?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
I wouldn't get a mustang to throw pedals on top of, it has built in FX.

What is your budget and location?

This. Answer this and we can have this straightened out in a jiff.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Anyone used an Orange TH30 for post-rock gigs? Are the cleans loud enough to cut through the band?
Does that mean something like the VoxAC 15 watt would also not cut it through a band?
Thing is, I am thinking of getting an Orange TH30 - blues and metal, but I also play post-rock.
Is there a tube head I could get for post-rock that can cut through a band - budged about 400-500£ in the UK but ideally less.
Again, depends on the drummer. I've seen plenty of people that say an AC15 is loud enough and plenty that say it isn't. If you want to be on the safe side I'd suggest more wattage, at least 40. My 22 watt Laney is just a little too quiet even turned up to max.
There's a Bogner Alchemist head on ebay UK for £320. They have absolutely delightful cleans and seem to be great for metal too.
Last edited by korinaflyingv at Nov 4, 2016,
I had no problems getting over our drummer on the clean channel of my TH30. We did shows at 105-110 dB.
Thanks for replies. I like the sound of the bogner but it is the first i hear of this model for metal and am not so sure. I was happish with Orange TH30 for metal sounds though part of me still eager for a Peavey 6505 or the like. If the Bogner can get those type of modern metal tones and has amazing cleans, then that might just be my amp. A bit heavy it seems but I suppose tone over weight.

It is good to know the cleans were ok for the TH30. Do the TH30 cleans take delay , reverb and distortion pedals alright?
Cheers
It took my Soul Food and OD 808 well, but I wasn't a fan of the Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive on it, while that pedal was amazing on other amps.
I ran a Strymon Timeline and a TC Trinity Reverb through the effects loop with great success.

The TH30 needs an overdrive out front on the drive channel for metal sounds as well, though. And an EQ pedal (or rackmounted EQ for that matter) does wonders for it as well.
I see. The TH30 seems pretty handy and also a ted lighter to carry around (head).
I have seen Bogners heads for 320 and a bit more elsewhere. I think it's size is a downfall for me.
I think I got more listening and thinking to do for the Bogner Alchemist. The woltagge is a ted higher 40W vs 30W but I wonder if that would make a difference for the cleans as you seem to manage just fine gigging...
guys, I just looked a bit more into EVHIII 50W - I heard good things about the cleans - 50W seems enough to crack through a band - anyone used in a post rock setting? It also has enough for metal I hear, though some still stay true to other amps for that.
anyone used EVH III for post rock out there. If so, how are the cleans with delays and reverb?
Thanks. Thats encouraging. Need to try it out. But has anyone there actually used - I am thinking Explosions in the Sky type cleans - I do not mind putting in reverb and delays, etc. but I suppose the amp tone must be good enough to carry through - I have seen Explosions a few times and lastly a few weeks ago. I swear I saw a Vox amp Munaf (had to confirm as some of it was covered) - and fender for Michael.
I suppose the cleans from EVH III are unlikely to be anything like a HRD Fender or Twin Reverb - but would be grea to hear from anyone who actually has used them....
Cheers. I think I found that video (a guy showing a guitar through different amps).