This probably seems like an unusual combination to mention in a thread, but I figured I would go ahead with making the leap of faith and asking anyway.

I'm currently in a band and just picked up a nice used half stack. I am getting ready to bring it over to our band's rehearsal/jam center, which is about an hour from where I am. I have some reservations about bringing it over since I've thrown pretty much every cent I have into getting this equipment, especially since our drummer's friends always want to hang out in the jam room (there's a TV hooked up with a game system in there) and they were using an old Hughes solid state amp to run their MP3 players through, kind of like a massive speaker.

Needless to say during practice one day the Hughes up and died on us. I had taken the cord with the adapter plug to connect the phone/MP3 player to the amp just prior to us getting into practice, as I had many times before. This was an old Hughes amp which had always been taken care of (according to my band mates). I still would like to know if there's any possible relation between using a guitar amp as a MP3 player speaker and having it damaged as a result?

Also, is there anything I should tell my band mates as to how my amp should be treated when I'm not there? I would prefer that no one would play with the settings and all that when I'm not actually practicing, but I also want to hear from the community about their experiences and advice.
I don't think running a mp3 player thru your amp will cause any problems, as to how they should treat it, well tell them to treat it better than their own.
SANDBLAST YOURSELF.

Quote by i_lovemetallica
If you think Gollum was sober with his whole "Gollum/Smeagol" thing and thinking he was invisible with the ring, then you need to remove the cotton wool from your eyes.

Wake up sheeple.

Sunaj
I wouldn't ever use a guitar amp as a way to host my MP3 player, but my drummer's friends were always running theirs through the main input jack. The same input where you would plug the guitar cable through.
Quote by nanna_guy414
I don't think running a mp3 player thru your amp will cause any problems, as to how they should treat it, well tell them to treat it better than their own.

Great, I absolutely will
Not sure if it would make any difference, but I am now using a Peavey 5150 half stack. The head is the original block letters model. I picked up the head w/ a brand new metal tube package installed and matching cabinet with stock speakers for $700 total, which is a lot of money for a starving guitarist but was almost exactly what I was looking to find and in my price range. Needless to say, I'm very protective over my rig