Hey all,

I've been having some strange crackling/static coming from my amp recently. It's a blackstar ht-20, happens on the clean and over drive channel at random times, but pretty consistently. I'm positive it's not my guitar or fx pedals, used both my guitars straight into the amp and have not figured it out. Any ideas or suggestions on troubleshooting?

Thanks
Keeping it real since '92
get some new tubes and swap them out
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Sounds like you need new tubes. There is also a possibility of dirty tube sockets, but that is small. although it would be good to clean the sockets anyways.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I get this with 2 old guitar leads I have, not sure what causes it but it only happens when I use one of those cables
My Gear:- A guitar, a guitar lead, a guitar amplifier. Or sometimes just an acoustic guitar!
If you are on a tight budget you can do a few things right now to lessen the blow of buying all new replacement tubes or taking the amp to a tech.

1.) Make sure all of the tubes are seated down real tight in their sockets.
2.) Swap some of the preamp tubes around and see if the crackling persists.
3.) Splay some Dioxit contact cleaner on the tube pins and work the tube in and out to clean sockets
4.) Buy 1 new 12AX7 preamp tube and 'roll' it through all of the positions starting with V1.

Report back

Here is a vid I made on swapping tubes in case you have no idea how to do that.
http://vid545.photobucket.com/albums/hh384/buckethead_311/Amp%20stuff/Microphonicpreamptube.mp4

Here is a place you can get JJ 12AX7 tubes pretty cheap in the US.
www.eurotubes.com

Notes:
At some point though, having a complete back up of tubes is always a good thing.
There are other types of tubes you can buy other than JJs or 12AX7s for preamp tubes.
There are other things you can check too obviously - cables, insert jacks, pedals, pickups, etc
There is more detail behind the easy steps I gave you but that is a start at the basics.
All of the above but have you checked the guitar cable?

Always start simple.

I'd also clean the input jack and all other jacks with DeOxit.

Does turning any of the knobs affect the crackle? You may have a dirty pot which can clean with the DeOxit as well.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by metalmingee
All of the above but have you checked the guitar cable?

Always start simple.

I'd also clean the input jack and all other jacks with DeOxit.

Does turning any of the knobs affect the crackle? You may have a dirty pot which can clean with the DeOxit as well.

#1 rule of troubleshooting