Hi!

Well, first of all I'd like to tell you people that 2 years ago I made a awful decision but decided to reverse it. I stopped playing guitar after playing for more than 12 years. Now I'm back and decided to start from scratch.

Something I never did was to really get into guitars and gear education and for that reason I'm here asking for your advice and help. I live in south america but atm I'm visiting the USA, so I decided to go to some Guitar Centers to see if they can help me to make a good choice. Nonetheless, I realized they can't help me as much as I want, since I ask lots of questions and make them go mad. I'm not here to do the same, but the help I need is the following one: I have 800 bucks and looking to buy a good guitar for that price, I mostly play high distorted or high overdriven genres such as metalcore, deathcore, deathgrind, djent and so on. Before quitting I had a higher budget and was trying to decide among these 3 guitars:

Schecter Guitar Research Blackjack SLS C-1 FR Active
Schecter Guitar Research Hellraiser C-1 FR Extreme Electric Guitar
Schecter BlackJack SLS C-1 FR Sustainiac Electric Guitar
ESP M-1 NTB Electric Guitar

Now I think I can't afford any of them since the currency from my country is highly devaluated and everything is too costly here in the USA for me.

I was trying to decide among Schecter or ESP guitars, but I forgot the few things I used to know such as the importance of the material, pickups, the origin of the guitar. So there's where u guys come and help me to choose. I don't want to lose this opportunity since I don't come to the USA to often.

So for now I've found these 2 options in Guitar center

Schecter Hellraiser C-1 vs Schecter Guitar Research C-1 Platinum

I want to know guys what would you do with that budget, for the genre and the specifications.

Best regards,
I can't discern a difference between those two Schecters oher than one has coil splitting and fancier inlays. The regular price is higher too so you're getting a better deal of sorts.

If you have a chance to get something shipped to where you are staying, I'd consider getting an Agile. You can get something fairly equivalent to the Schecters but for a much better price and they're made by the same Korean factory. With the money you save consider buying an amp, if that's something that's also expensive in your country.
Depending on how long you are here Guitar Center's used section online has a great selection and prices. Takes about a week for things to show up unless you pay for the expedited shipping.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
I can't help at all with those genres, but I have a couple of questions, mostly just out of curiosity.

What are you doing for an amp? There isn't much sense in spending big $ on a guitar if you haven't got something decent to play it through. - See my post in this sub-forum about 10 minutes ago.
Quote by Tony Done
I can't help at all with those genres, but I have a couple of questions, mostly just out of curiosity.

What are you doing for an amp? There isn't much sense in spending big $ on a guitar if you haven't got something decent to play it through. - See my post in this sub-forum about 10 minutes ago.

You're right, I don't have a decent amp but the guitar would be mostly to use in rehearsals and concerts where I can play in great Marshall amps. I never use digital distortions, or pedals (I don't know about them tbh), I mostly play with overdriven distortion. I think I'd like to spend a good amount of money fist in the guitar and then get a good amp for playing at home.

For now I'd like to know what do you recommend me to get with the money I have, either schecter, or ESP or any other brand. Which model and why? Why do you think it is good for highly distorted genres?
How long are you going to be in the USA? Would it be practical for you to order something and have it delivered to where you're staying?

I ask because

1) several guitar companies out there sell directly from their websites as well as in stores- usually overstocks, b-stocks and refurbs- at discounted prices. But they only ship to limited areas, and supply & selection is limited.

Fernandes provides one example:
http://www.fernandesguitarshop.com

And they do carry guitars that meet your specs, like this one:
http://www.fernandesguitarshop.com/ravelle/71-ravelle-deluxe.html

The companies you named might do likewise.

2) stores like Guitar Center, Sweetwater, Sam Ash, etc., as well as sellers on eBay, Reverb might also be able to deliver what you want to your current location.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Dec 29, 2015,

Schecter Hellraiser C-1 vs Schecter Guitar Research C-1 Platinum

go with Hellraiser
it looks like you really like metal

here is some guitar i would recommend to buy if you really like heavy music
-Ibanez Iron Label RGIR20BE trem/no-trem 599/699$
-ESP LTD MH-401 699$
-Jackson SLATXMGQ3 699$
-Jackson KVXMG 649$
this is just my opinion :p

if you need an amp too here is my recommendation(all celestion speaker)
-Hughes & Kettner TubeMeister TM18 18W 615$
-Marshall DSL15C 15W 599$
-Marshall DSL40C 40W 699$
-Used Peavey 5150 699$

All of the prices is from guitarcenter
What part of the country are you in?
If you're anywhere near LA, I can suggest some places OTHER than Guitar Denter to extend your search and maybe get a far better guitar for your money. While you're here, you may want to have your new purchase run on a PLEK before you go back...
Quote by dspellman
What part of the country are you in?
If you're anywhere near LA, I can suggest some places OTHER than Guitar Denter to extend your search and maybe get a far better guitar for your money. While you're here, you may want to have your new purchase run on a PLEK before you go back...

Who has a PLEK in/around LA?
I too stopped playing after playing for almost 20 years, not by choice but familial and financial obligations forced me to sell all of my gear. Took me about 5 years to be in shape to by gear again. Since a began to rebuild my music gear I have only purchased one new guitar, the others were all used. You'll definitely get more for your money buying used provided you do some research first.

I have found some great deals at both Guitar Center and Pawn shops as well as from private sellers.

$800 will buy a really nice used axe!
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Dec 29, 2015,
we've had almost 3 years of new guitars released now, any updates to everyone's suggestions?
Quote by LobstahHands
we've had almost 3 years of new guitars released now, any updates to everyone's suggestions?

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Hey again guys!

Ok let me tell you what I did. After doing some research and checking your opinions I went to a local GC today.

(BTW I had to borrow some money since well, 800 became 1800 USD <Hope I didn't make a bad choice and want you guys to tell me if I was too dumb or If I made a good choice)

Since I wanted new stuff instead of used gear I got the following guitar and considered your cons about getting an amp.

Guitar:

Ibanez RGIT20FE (I was trying the feel between the hellraiser and this one and surprisely I got In love with this one) BUT I think I made a mistake, and you guys tell me if I should change the guitar before leaving the country (on Saturday) or if I should keep it: It is " Made in Indonesia"

Cost: 999.99 USD

Amp:

I wanted something small and powerful just for home rehearsal so I got a

Blackstar HT - 5R (Sounds like a monster)

Cost: 499.99 USD

Do you think I made a good choice?
Could have been better for that budget?
Should I return the guitar and take another one?

Thank you guys for the help these couple days!
A thousand bucks for an Indonesian made guitar sounds way too steep! What about returning it and getting a nice Gibson Les Paul Studio? I think it would handle your genres, AS WELL as handling a lot of other genres that you may get into later.
Gear:
2011 Fender American Standard Stratocaster
2012 Tanglewood TW170

Boss Katana 100w 1x112
Line 6 HD500
Well, if you love the guitar, it shouldn't matter where it is made. Even people here say that sometimes. And Indonesia is one of the largest exporters of guitars, their companies make guitars for a bunch of brands.

That said, aren't there Japanese Ibanez for around that price? I don't know much about that brand, but I thought they were some.
Quote by Revocation89
Hey again guys!

Ok let me tell you what I did. After doing some research and checking your opinions I went to a local GC today.

(BTW I had to borrow some money since well, 800 became 1800 USD <Hope I didn't make a bad choice and want you guys to tell me if I was too dumb or If I made a good choice)

Since I wanted new stuff instead of used gear I got the following guitar and considered your cons about getting an amp.

Guitar:

Ibanez RGIT20FE (I was trying the feel between the hellraiser and this one and surprisely I got In love with this one) BUT I think I made a mistake, and you guys tell me if I should change the guitar before leaving the country (on Saturday) or if I should keep it: It is " Made in Indonesia"

Cost: 999.99 USD

Amp:

I wanted something small and powerful just for home rehearsal so I got a

Blackstar HT - 5R (Sounds like a monster)

Cost: 499.99 USD

Do you think I made a good choice?
Could have been better for that budget?
Should I return the guitar and take another one?

Thank you guys for the help these couple days!

You probably could have gotten them cheaper elsewhere but i like both. I say good choices. Get a tube screamer or some sorta overdrive pedal for the Blackstar it'll sound even better.
Schecter and ESP are both incredible builders, I've never played a bad guitar from either brand. My personal favorite are Ibanez, but do what feels and sounds right to you! Also, I've found smaller family-owned stores to be most knowledgeable. Guitar Center has a pretty bad reputation if you read around https://www.gearslutz.com/board/moan-zone/112000-stupid-things-youve-been-told-guitar-center.html